Joey Russ

Gord Downie

He is probably one of the best candidates this year.

On 10/05/2017 at 14:10, Shaun of the Dead said:

He is probably one of the best candidates this year.

Well yeah, or a decisive miss if he does for us this year what Glen -fucking - Campbell did last year. As a popular and failed pick he'd definitely be tragically hip

28 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well yeah, or a decisive miss if he does for us this year what Glen -fucking - Campbell did last year. As a popular and failed pick he'd definitely be tragically hip

Yeah, but Gord Downie has terminal cancer. Glen Campbell has thatdiseasio that I can't remember since when.

Glen Campbell is likely to cheat us for another year.

Gord Downie will do one of two things:

1. Die this year

2. Be number one on the 2018 Deathlist and top 5 on the 2018 Drop Forty, ala Martin Crowe in 2016.

The odds are on 1.

• Like 2

Update: not dead.

The Hip are backing medicinal weed, but wont say if its related to Downies health.

Newstrike would not comment on whether its partnership with the Hip was at all influenced by lead singer Gord Downie’s diagnosis with terminal brain cancer.

In fairness, the Howard Marks Diet might have added a month or so to Marks lifespan.

In other news, his charity fundraiser has now raised $174k.

update: not dead (yet)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gord-downie-indigenous-activist-sylvia-151123397.html

He will be receiving the Order of Canada award.

EDIT: actually all 5 members of The Hip:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/the-tragically-hip-to-receive-order-of-canada-1.4161951

Don't know who looks worse, Meads or Downie? They still look relatively healthy...

Gord will probably go first. Brain cancer patients usually end up dying when their tumor presses on the brain causing a stroke. Until that happens Gord will be healthy enough to attend these meetings.

• Like 1

Hard to tell, I think. Brain cancer usually gets really bad when the people having it, speak slurrily, or move their eyes weirdly. Does Downie do that yet? 

Also, statistically, one of the "locks" this year, be it Bracknell, Downie, King Michael, or Meads (not Christie anymore, obviously), may well see 2018. For the sake of my own team, I'd want Meads and Michael to do that.

Said he stumbled before collecting the honour.Slightly ominous that he hasnt spoken in public since last year despite being out and about.I know the tumour affects his memory so maybe he ismt capable of talking anymore.

• Like 2

Here is part of the lyrics to The Hip song, "At The Hundredth Meridian"

"If I die of vanity, promise me, promise me
If they bury me some place I don't want to be
You'll dig me up and transport me, unceremoniously
Away from the swollen city breeze, garbage bag trees
Whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
And lower me slowly and sadly and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy"

Made a public appearance on Sunday, and spoke, so we know he can still speak. He's looking more frailer, however...

I think he will be survive this year. He looks OK.

24 minutes ago, Prophet said:

I think he will be survive this year. He looks OK.

Six months is a long time still but that's him out of my almost certain verdicts.  

10 minutes ago, ebless said:

Six months is a long time still but that's him out of my almost certain verdicts.  

I'm surprised you haven't removed him earlier...

I don't think that his ability to speak is critical. Lauren Hill also could still speak when you could no longer stand watching her. I thought the stumbling at that honor ceremony was far more important. However, watching him move does indicate that he's still doing ok. Well, his survival wouldn't make a lot of difference in all competitions, except for those who jokered him (Honestly, msc might have drawn all the ill luck of a decade into one year. Maybe he's lucky in that it will balance out in the future. This year is already ruined, and just imagine al-Baghdadi doesn't obit...)

• Like 1

At the beginning, his team didn't look bad at all, but in reality, it isn't doing so hot. He got three non-obitters, as well as Homlund getting out of her coma, Nevin looking like a fraud, Al-Baghdadi probably is dead but ISIS isn't willing to confirm it, Downie and Bracknell looking like they're doing okay, Ricketts looking like he's going to the 2 year mark, and Butts and Gilbert appearing to be on the mend. In short, only Elias and Stefansson look like likely hits now. 

(PS, I really hope his luck changes, he doesn't deserve to do as poorly as he's doing...)

• Like 1

Hey, I'm right here, guys, you know! :D

Swings and roundabouts: for all I know, half the people Joey mentions might turn out smart picks by Jan 1st. Realistically, the late dropping of Skellern/Hewlett/Snuka/Aikman/Wetton meant 50 points dropped by February - tough to make that up.

Don't know what it says that my "ill luck of a decade in one year" run is still my 2nd best DDP performance, ever. Oh yeah, that years of suggesting Bernie Nolan and Sid Waddell to others then picking Michael fucking Jopling weren't smart...

Oh, I'm not completely eliminating anyone on your team (minus Holmlund, that's some bad luck on your part), I'm just saying it doesn't look as good as it did at the beginning of the year. 

I'm not doing so hot either, especially by making the bad choice of jokering a non-obitter, and Rick Davies (as even if he DOES die, I could've put Paul Van Zandvliet for two extra points). Most of my team I give low probability, as well tbh...

The documentary is out.. I'm looking for health updates in the articles about it.

His brother says that he is doing "pretty good. He's holding his own"

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/mike-downie-on-his-brother-gords-not-so-secret-path/article36247294/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

• Like 2

"Holding his own" referes to performing and generally working

For a second there I thought we had a really intimate documentary on our hands

• Haha 2

I don't think he is doing that bad like his brother said. However, something that I noticed is that he hasn't made a public appearance for a while now. Indeed, he was absent from the guest list from a film festival that was showing his documentary. So maybe something bad happened in his fight against glioblastoma, and his brother was saying he's doing well at the moment. Or I could be rambling nonsense and he's completely fine at the moment...