RadGuy

American Football (And Other Yank 'sports')

My prediction is that I won't care anymore this year than I have since 1985 - and I faked it then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CarolAnn said:

My prediction is that I won't care anymore this year than I have since 1985 - and I faked it then.

Tell it how it is CA, tell it how it is.:D

I'd like to buy the world a Coke - 274 mins. Bud Really Light - 128 mins. Local Station Ads for Barney's Down Home Realtors or ScrewYouRight Ambulance Chasing Lawyers - 34.2 mins.

Some guys paid millions to risk brain damage through head to head helmeted combat for your amusement - 60 mins. Spread over 5 hours due to the foregoing messages from sponsors.

Soccer doesn't do it in the US because the notion of 45 minutes you can't interrupt with ads caused 348 pulmonary embolisms at various TV exec offices.

On 1/12/2018 at 06:51, Phantom of the Midway said:

Super Bowl predictions?

I got Steelers-Vikings. Throwback to the '70s.

Well I'm already wrong as the Jaguars eliminated the Steelers yesterday. Pretty happy about that though, great to see the Jags doing so good after years of mediocrity.

Did anyone watch the Saints-Vikings game? Shit was insane. 4 lead changes in the final 3 minutes. And then that Stefon Diggs TD... the miracle in Minneapolis.

• Angry 1

On 1/15/2018 at 06:18, Phantom of the Midway said:

Well I'm already wrong as the Jaguars eliminated the Steelers yesterday. Pretty happy about that though, great to see the Jags doing so good after years of mediocrity.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Roethlisberger is a fucking waste of oxygen.

• Like 1

Are Yank sports what you do when reading a jazz mag?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Are Yank sports what you do when reading a jazz mag?

Ask Roey Juss.

He is the biggest wanker on here.:D

It’s the Patriots (groan) vs the Eagles this year. I think I know which one I want to win...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go Patriots!  Beat Philly and bring home number 6!!!!

Edited by Death Impends
Moved from the other US Football topic, as that one's for discussion of deadpool possibilities rather than the sport itself

Eagles caused an upset tonight. Personally I don’t give a fuck about football, but I do like a good underdog story...

So happy the Eagles won.

I wouldn't be able to stand another Pats victory.

The Eagles played a great game and deserved to win.  I'm still very proud of the way the Patriots fought, coming back to actually take a one point lead.  Give credit to Doug Pederson for a  game plan that wasn't afraid to go for it..

• Like 2

Cowboys fan, Robert Clyde Drew, died so he wouldn’t have to watch Patriots & Eagles play, according to his obit.

SC

• Like 2

Another NFL season is well underway.

My beloved Chicago Bears have a 5-3 record and sit at the top of the NFC North.

But are we really a playoff contender, or just a pretender? Tomorrow's game against the Detroit Lions will reveal it all!

I'll be at Soldier Field with my dad, cheering the Bears on. I expect it to be a close and interesting game.

1 minute ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

But are we really a playoff contender, or just a pretender? Tomorrow's game against the Detroit Lions will reveal it all!

I'll be at Soldier Field with my dad, cheering the Bears on. I expect it to be a close and interesting game.

I like the Bears this season. If they beat Minnesota at least once they should win the NFC North. But, I can’t see them getting far in the playoffs with the Rams and Saints. Anyway, the Bears should win tomorrow, the Lions aren’t really that good. Have Fun!!!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

You needn’t worry about the Detroit Lions.

33BF5AA3-B8C8-4291-AE1B-E7E39184C6E3.jpeg

NFL must be one of the few sports that you can leave in the middle of a game to go and have a bath, have a shit, eat a three course meal and come back and not missed fuck all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DeathClock said:

Congrats on the NFC North division title @Phantom of the Midway

Thanks. It was all me, fuck the players. :D

On a serious note: so glad this happened. I still can't believe Da Bears are going to the playoffs. Like, I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I will be watching Bears football in January.

But it's finally going to happen, for the first time in 8 years. And there wasn't a better team for us to clinch the division win/playoff spot against than the Packers.

Enjoy hanging that NFC North banner next year.

15 hours ago, DeathClock said:

@Phantom of the Midway OMG!!! I feel so bad. Don’t sweat it so much, the Bears have a bright future.

Well, it was a heartbreaking way to lose, but perhaps not even the worst of the day... the Ravens fumbling away their miraculous comeback was pretty bad too.

I was pretty pissed off at Cody Parkey, but the video shows the kick was actually tipped, so not his fault. And he did score most of our offensive points anyway. I think the blame rests on Matt Nagy's conservative play-calling in the first half.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful for the years to come. We're a very young team, so our Super Bowl window is huge. We have several more years of opportunity, while for teams like the Saints and Chargers, it's probably this year or bust.

The way I see it, we're following the Rams' path. Last year they had a new coach that changed the team around, but lost Wild Card Weekend anyway. That was the Bears this year.

This year the Rams were so good they got a first round bye, and I'll be paying close attention to how far they make it, because that could be the Bears next year too.

• Like 1

Ahhh my UK friends.  Fear not, you have a team to root for. 
Narrated by Matthew McConaughey

Well, today was Conference Championship Sunday.

In the NFC, the New Orleans Saints started off hot 13-0 against the Los Angeles Rams, but the fast Rams offense stepped up their game and managed to tie it at 23-23 by the end of the 4th quarter. The game went into overtime, where the Rams won it 26-23. They are headed to the Super Bowl.

Personally, this was pretty sad as I believe Drew Brees deserved another Super Bowl ring. But at least he already has one, so it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully he won't retire yet. The Rams, on the other hand, are a great, young team who might end up dominating the league for years to come.

In the AFC, the New England Patriots had a 14-0 lead at halftime, shutting out their hosts, the Kansas City Chiefs - arguably the NFL's best offense. Great defensive effort by the Pats. But the Chiefs upped their game, and the score ended up tied at 31-31 by the end of the 4th quarter, and this game went into overtime too! That's actually a first for Championship Sunday iirc.

The Patriots won it 37-31 though, and this just confirms that God hates America. :rant: Goddammit my head hurts just thinking about another Pats Super Bowl appearance!

So, in two weeks, the Super Bowl will be between the Patriots and the Rams.

I think the Patriots will win tbh, they're more experienced and less prone to error. And that's what matters in big games, usually.

On the plus side, if they do win, Tom Brady will possibly retire, ending the reign of terror dynasty the Pats have established over the past two decades.

8 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Well, today was Conference Championship Sunday.

In the NFC, the New Orleans Saints started off hot 13-0 against the Los Angeles Rams, but the fast Rams offense stepped up their game and managed to tie it at 23-23 by the end of the 4th quarter. The game went into overtime, where the Rams won it 26-23. They are headed to the Super Bowl.

Personally, this was pretty sad as I believe Drew Brees deserved another Super Bowl ring. But at least he already has one, so it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully he won't retire yet. The Rams, on the other hand, are a great, young team who might end up dominating the league for years to come.

In the AFC, the New England Patriots had a 14-0 lead at halftime, shutting out their hosts, the Kansas City Chiefs - arguably the NFL's best offense. Great defensive effort by the Pats. But the Chiefs upped their game, and the score ended up tied at 31-31 by the end of the 4th quarter, and this game went into overtime too! That's actually a first for Championship Sunday iirc.

The Patriots won it 37-31 though, and this just confirms that God hates America. :rant: Goddammit my head hurts just thinking about another Pats Super Bowl appearance!

So, in two weeks, the Super Bowl will be between the Patriots and the Rams.

I think the Patriots will win tbh, they're more experienced and less prone to error. And that's what matters in big games, usually.

On the plus side, if they do win, Tom Brady will possibly retire, ending the reign of terror dynasty the Pats have established over the past two decades.

Go Rams. 

• Like 1