Joey Russ

42. Raul Castro

After the death of Fidel Castro, his brother, and current president of Cuba, Raul Castro, probably doesn't have that long in him (about 3-5 years I'm guessing). I think he is famous enough for his own thread, because he is the last major figure in the Cuban Revolution and he is the president of Cuba. All of that, plus being related to Fidel Castro, pretty much guarantees a BBC obit. Do you think he is famous enough for deathlist? Discuss.

• Like 1

He is famous enough for DL but I think he is probably a safe bet to see 2018 and should not be chosen by the committee

• Like 1

Do you think he is famous enough for deathlist?

Yes.

But he's not in any immediate danger, to my mind.

EDIT - The Captain snuck in and said everything I did while I was getting fucked around by the quote system.

• Like 1

I don't think he's in immediate danger either, however, anything can happen at this age. He is 85 years old after all.

Yes, but so are John le Carre, Ian Holm and Michael Lonsdale, all suitable future Deathlist names too, and I don't see threads getting started for them.

Yes, but so are John le Carre, Ian Holm and Michael Lonsdale, all suitable future Deathlist names too, and I don't see threads getting started for them.

True, but he came to mind because of Fidel's death, which is why I created his brothers thread. If Castro was still alive, this thread wouldn't have been made yet.

True, but he came to mind because of Fidel's death, which is why I created his brothers thread. If Castro was still alive, this thread wouldn't have been made yet.

There's no more reason for him to have his own thread after his brother's death than there was before it.

Oh I don't know.

He is a world leader. We've lost two of the Castro brothers this year. Possible talking points include the new relationship with a Republican President, move towards democracy, the "will they won't they try to assassinate him" if he doesn't play ball, will he be pushed towards a closer relationship with Putin, etc.

Interesting times for Cuba ahead.

I know this article is from 2013, but it's also worth noting that he won't be running for president in 2018. http://news.yahoo.com/cubas-raul-castro-announces-retirement-5-years-005517085.html

A wise decision if he sticks to it. The stress and responsibilities that come with a presidency are probably too much for an 87 year old man (and could easily result in a stroke or heart attack), and he could damage his reputation and his country if his cognitive abilities start to decline.

Raul is still alive (afaik) but his (and Fidel's) sister isn't.

1 hour ago, time said:

Raul is still alive (afaik) but his (and Fidel's) sister isn't.

That's 4 of the siblings dead then. 3 still alive.

He is stepping down from his position in April 2018. Wonder who is going to replace him? 

Juanita for the LOLs?

Raul Castro is planning to appoint a successor so he can appear on more Deathlist teams next year.

• Haha 1

89 today:birthday:

Think he will surpass Fidel's age? 

• Like 1

Last week there were some rumours of a heavy illness on spanish-speaking sites, but he did appear on a conference then. Still, hes slowly getting there...

Good one, committee. He's now almost as old as Fidel. 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2016 at 23:46, msc said:

If bumping this thread up by picking him has achieved anything, it's highlighting how @msc had premonitions of 2020 four whole years ago! :blink:

Anyway, as likely to go as not. Not a bad punt.

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

If bumping this thread up by picking him has achieved anything, it's highlighting how @msc had premonitions of 2020 four whole years ago! :blink:

Anyway, as likely to go as not. Not a bad punt.

I'm great at gut feelings but terrible at being specific down to the year or month for deadpools!

Last January I said "now watch Bobby Charlton drop dead in the summer" and I was 50/50 on the Charlton brothers of another randomly specific prediction being right!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm great at gut feelings but terrible at being specific down to the year or month for deadpools!

Last January I said "now watch Bobby Charlton drop dead in the summer" and I was 50/50 on the Charlton brothers of another randomly specific prediction being right!

It is odd that you happened to pick 3 people with no immediate connection and they all dropped dead within 6 months of each other this year! :lol:

So...Bobby Charlton's a shoo-in for 2024 then..? :rolleyes:

Raul is planning to step down as leader of the Cuban Communist Party during the next party convention from 16th-19th April 2021. Big Move as he's still considered the real leader in Cuba and now him and the entire old guard of the leadership (nearly all fought in the Cuban Revolution and are in their 70s, 80s and 90s) is said to be replaced next week. 

Article mentions him stepping down.

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2021/04/10/cuba-may-become-the-smallest-country-to-make-covid-19-vaccines