themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

10 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Seems to get me a 403 forbidden error?

Same here

Should be OK now. I might have accidentally removed the index page or summat...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, themaninblack said:

Should be OK now. I might have accidentally removed the index page or summat...

Don't worry about the index page, It's there.

I think the Jay Clark obituary is going to prove to be this season's turning point. Without it I was beginning to see a realistic path to victory, but with it I'm going to be relying on a huge amount of luck to finish ahead of DQSP. 

Every year I take at least one needless punt based on a gut feeling and this year it's Golmard. This one was also motivated by wanting to crowbar a unique pick in but I didn't even manage that. If he goes I think he'll obit but I also think I've used up my ALS luck on Joost. Has anyone ever won before with two ALS picks? I think I'm going to need Golmard and a huge slice of luck to been with a realistic shot.

Forsyth was another gut pick when the more coldly logical 9 pointer would have been Meads. It's quite an amateurish pick but one I couldn't resist. Having said that things don't look great for him. Another important differential I'd put at an optimistic 50/50.

PC is actually one I may have had a little extra info on, but still by no means a gimme.

Simon Ricketts is another one I'll probably need but he's responding well to treatment and I think he'll see 2018 with relative ease. Again if I'd been more coldly logical in picking my team, I shouldn't have ignored his 1-2 years to live assessment from November. I think this one will prove costly to me and TJS.

King Michael and PvZ are not nailed on either but I think they'll probably go before the year's end.

Bracknell and Downie are irrelevant as all the contenders have them. Christie would actually hurt my chances as he's TJS joker.

Nevin and Magill sure goners.

On top of all this I've got a sizeably lower ceiling of points so I'm going to need at least one more death than DQSP and TJS which is hard to envisage.

This is really just a long winded way of saying I need a lot of luck.

I need Karl and Bradley to stay well. I could do with at least one of Gilbert, Elias and Meads defying the odds. And I could probably do with Bagrag Singh failing to get an obituary but I think that's very unlikely.

Still it's great to be in the mix, and we all like an underdog story don't we....

• Like 1

So, you've got a floor of around 170 points? :D

Ricketts was always going to be a 2017/2018er, but I ignored all the pancreatic cancer victims last year like a big idiot. Wont be the only person to have noticed him missing from a certain team, mind you.

Golmard might be a title winning risk he was far too early for me - ony 3 years since diagnosis.

Anyhow, the turning point this year will be the Al-Baghdadi/Holmlund double header one sleepy day in July...B)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, msc said:

So, you've got a floor of around 170 points? :D

Ricketts was always going to be a 2017/2018er, but I ignored all the pancreatic cancer victims last year like a big idiot. Wont be the only person to have noticed him missing from a certain team, mind you.

Golmard might be a title winning risk he was far too early for me - ony 3 years since diagnosis.

Anyhow, the turning point this year will be the Al-Baghdadi/Holmlund double header one sleepy day in July...B)

With Baghdadi dead by then, all I need is Brady, Davies and Loughlin to die and Suisala to obit, and then you'll have your winner. :P

The decisive hits which are almost certain to go this year are:

Lisa Magill

Catherine Nevin

Greg Gilbert

Paul Van _Zendevlit

Errol Christie

Leah Bracknell

Gord Downie

Colin Butts

Those still pretty likely to die:

Colin Meads

King Michael

Marieke Vervoot

Stefan Karl Stefannson

Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi

• Like 1

Has anyone come across a QO for corrupt laawyer Lynne Stewart who died yesterday?

We need someone to call her a political prisoner stitched up by evil imperialists for balance now, but yes, here's the Mail.

• Like 1

All obits so far are in the current round up on page 32. No point in a new round up if TMIB is updating at the end of the week.

Man, nobody had Surtees on the DDP

Big miss

• Like 1

I only looked up on him last night as a possible for future inclusion in some Deadpool games, after watching a doc on PBS about the Le Mans tragedy

6 minutes ago, Pedro67 said:

I only looked up on him last night as a possible for future inclusion in some Deadpool games, after watching a doc on PBS about the Le Mans tragedy

Did Norman Dewis appear in said documentary?

Breathing and obitable to this day I believe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dewis

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Did Norman Dewis appear in said documentary?

Breathing and obitable to this day I believe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Dewis

Not sure, as I only caught the last 20 min or so. just seen the whole thing is on YT, and will definately watch it all as what I saw was really good. Called Deadliest crash, 2009 made For beeb by George Pollen

I'd recommend just waiting for Magill to croak before making the next update, it's almost certain to happen by Sunday evening.

58 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

I'd recommend just waiting for Magill to croak before making the next update, it's almost certain to happen by Sunday evening.

I am quite frankly astounded she is still going.

• Like 1

Well, Lisa Magill is dead.

Now we await the Daily Mail obit that will inevitably pop up later today or tomorrow.

Congrats to Golden Slumbers on reaching 108 points, breaking the record set last year for quickest time to triple-digits.

Also, I reach 80 points, which means I'm already ahead of my total last year. Yay me!

Dunno why people insist on posting deaths in this thread. They'll be added to the round up in due course. *sigh*

• Like 1

On 10/03/2017 at 22:41, Pedro67 said:

Not sure, as I only caught the last 20 min or so. just seen the whole thing is on YT, and will definately watch it all as what I saw was really good. Called Deadliest crash, 2009 made For beeb by George Pollen

Aye, already been on BBC 4, then and yer man Norman is in the mix. Was yards from the airborne Merc on the day.

• Like 1

Latest update...

• Like 5

I think the biggest deficit between Current Leader and Eventual Winner was 47 points in 2013.

30 minutes ago, msc said:

I think the biggest deficit between Current Leader and Eventual Winner was 47 points in 2013.

Well, I'm 44 points behind currently, and Nevin, when she goes, would have me at 52 points behind. But if one or two of my gambles plus the joker succeeds, then I think I could have a serious shot at the title. 

Sneaked up to 4th place.

I haven't been out of the top 10 in two months.

This lucky streak will end, of course, when Rayya Elias and Catherine Nevin die on the same day.