themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

5 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

In an unfortunate coincidence, Michael Mantenuto who starred in the 2004 film miracle where Lakovic had a cameo committed suicide. I could see Lakovic getting an offhand mention in an obit for Mantenuto.

He's got a whole bunch of QOs, but none of them mention Lakovic at all. (A sports star I had heard of years before, incidentally.) Meanwhile, half the Shameless team get obits.

It's a bit like expecting Arianna Grande to get a mention in Sting's obituary because they were both in Zoolander 2 though.

Let's murder Sting and see if that happens.

• Like 1

Just woke up and holy fuck!

Mantenuto has so many QOs and it's shocking to me that none of them mention the coincidence that his co-star Laković also died young of a tragic death just two days earlier.

Sounds like perfect tabloid fodder to me.

"Miracle Cast Members Mourn The Death Of Two Friends In One Week"

"The Curse of the Miracle"

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 21:25, YoungWillz said:

Ben Suisala: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8709-only-famous-for-being-ill-and-dying/?do=findComment&comment=305804

Awaiting Obit.

Lorna Gray: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8236-yank-science-fiction-series/?do=findComment&comment=305827

Awaiting Obit.

Mbah Ghoto/Gotho: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/145-worlds-oldest/?do=findComment&comment=305854

BBC Obit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39768321

Lionel Augustus Martin (Saxa): https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/2389-dead-pop-stars/?do=findComment&comment=306133

Awaiting Obit.

Lukas Ammann: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/7873-foreign-personalities-from-stage-screen-politics-and-life/?do=findComment&comment=306165

Awaiting Obit.

Timo Makinen: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/7092-the-chequered-flag/?do=findComment&comment=306313

Sky Sports Obit: http://www.skysports.com/motorsport/news/15749/10863727/rally-legend-timo-makinen-has-died-at-the-age-of-79

Ben Suisala getting an obit is definitely crucial for many.

First of all, Shameless would rise up to 103 points and soar into 2nd place! Not to mention they'd be at 58 points for the month of April, one of the best player-of-the-month performances ever.

Second of all, Pan Breed might have to face the predicament of having two List of the Losters in one update. Laković and Suisala add up to 22 lost points!

Third of all, there's Day in the Death. Suisala's his joker, so the obit would add 24 points. Definitely his last shot at still being considered a contender this year, imho.

3 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Ben Suisala getting an obit is definitely crucial for many.

First of all, Shameless would rise up to 103 points and soar into 2nd place! Not to mention they'd be at 58 points for the month of April, one of the best player-of-the-month performances ever.

Second of all, Pan Breed might have to face the predicament of having two List of the Losters in one update. Laković and Suisala add up to 22 lost points!

Third of all, there's Day in the Death. Suisala's his joker, so the obit would add 24 points. Definitely his last shot at still being considered a contender this year, imho.

31 points if you count Aspin! What's the record for a non-theme team?

It's up in the air whether there's even going to be a DDP 2018, but if Shameless take the title this year that'll probably be the end regardless for me. 

• Like 5

Let me remind everyone that shameless doesn't have any of the crucial celebrities that everyone else have. No Bracknell, Christie, Coward, Downie, Elias, Gilbert, Meads, Nevin (though I think she might be a fraud), Ricketts, Sims, Skellern, Stefansson, Joost, or Wetton. 

Though I think that if shameless does in fact win the entire DDP (or it looks like it the month before), then I think it would be a perfect catalyst for a FFBI ban. Just a thought from me.

• Like 1

It's not going to win, lol...

Even if Suisala obits, it's only at 20th place in my rolling scoreboard. I already have two non-obits and some relatively bad picks (Cheyann Clark, Leanne Hock, Gemma Nuttall, Laura Saull).

It would take Bracknell, Christie and Downie surviving PLUS Juan Pedro Franco dying and Emma Houlston obiting to give Shameless the victory.

• Like 2

@YoungWillz Someone actually picked the Indonesian man who claimed to be the oldest person. I remember writing his bio actually...

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

@YoungWillz Someone actually picked the Indonesian man who claimed to be the oldest person. I remember writing his bio actually...

Yes, a unique pick for some obscure theme.

Maybe next year I should make a theme team full of ridiculous longevity claimants... but I can only have two theme teams (as I am definitely keeping my main team) and I'm liking my ideas on Illinoisans and people with pancreatic cancer (kind of like a new Shameless in that they dominate everyone in the theme team league).

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Great Scott, you are right. Shame for two reasons - first, spelt "Gotho" in the DDP the BBC has "Ghoto" (hence I never found it!) and second, if his date of birth is unverified, then he might have been lying, in which case he might have been 93. So how does TMIB award points on a possible liar's age/date of birth?

Over to you TMIB...

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

So how does TMIB award points on a possible liar's age/date of birth?

He could lie about the points that are awarded   :tomatododge:

• Like 2

Ah, the rule is "The age of the celeb at the moment of passing must also be established to calculate points". So Mbah Ghoto may not qualify?

I'm thinking of fielding a Down Under theme team for 2018, if I get the possibility.

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Ah, the rule is "The age of the celeb at the moment of passing must also be established to calculate points". So Mbah Ghoto may not qualify?

Well, I think that rule applies more to people where you have no idea how old they are. For Mbah Ghoto, 146 is pretty much what's being reported so TMIB could go with that. Besides, it's not like the team is gaining something by the person being that old. 110+ is 3 points so because Ghoto was most likely only 105 or 95 or something, it's a disadvantage to go with the claimed age for the team that picked him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Well, I think that rule applies more to people where you have no idea how old they are. For Mbah Ghoto, 146 is pretty much what's being reported so TMIB could go with that. Besides, it's not like the team is gaining something by the person being that old. 110+ is 3 points so because Ghoto was most likely only 105 or 95 or something, it's a disadvantage to go with the claimed age for the team that picked him.

I like this thought very much.

• Like 1

Ah but it's a positive advantage to give points at all for an indeterminate age, whatever age they are. Whoever picked him should have known that, and until his real age is established it'd be nul points from me.

TMIB is a kindlier soul I'm sure...

There is DDP precedent, with Luo Meizhen, for using a ridiculous longevity claimant's claimed age at death to determine the points...

The team that picked him, Lidders Late Lamentables, I like it quite a bit. Astronauts, BBC radio guys, frail old people.

On 1.5.2017 at 13:27, msc said:

31 points if you count Aspin! What's the record for a non-theme team?

JoeyRuss is actually at 33 not-points now, because Suisala was his joker.

Just now, gcreptile said:

JoeyRuss is actually at 33 not-points now, because Suisala was his joker.

Bloody Joey, stealing my thunder! :lol:

Seems so far we have 16 big hits, ie, folk known to be or largely expected to be on their last legs

1.       7th January – Mario Soares

2.       15th January – Jimmy Snuka

3.       19th January – Mark Sims

4.       21st January – Tracy McGiffin

5.       21st January – Paul Briggs

6.       31st January – John Wetton

7.       3rd February – Gordon Aikman

8.       6th February – Joost van der Westhuizen

9.       8th February – Steve Sumner

10.   13th February – Sara Coward

11.   17th February – Peter Skellern

12.   20th February – Steve Hewlett

13.   26th February – Jay Clark

14.   11th March – Lisa Magill

15.   14th April – Bruce Langhorne

16.   17th April – Michael Perham

You can judge how well a DDP team is doing by how many of the above they scored on. For example, Pan Breed comes in at a disappointing 5/16, despite all of the above (bar Perham and Briggs) being on its shortlist.

To my chances...

IMG_0332.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, msc said:

Bloody Joey, stealing my thunder! :lol:

Seems so far we have 16 big hits, ie, folk known to be or largely expected to be on their last legs

1.       7th January – Mario Soares

2.       15th January – Jimmy Snuka

3.       19th January – Mark Sims

4.       21st January – Tracy McGiffin

5.       21st January – Paul Briggs

6.       31st January – John Wetton

7.       3rd February – Gordon Aikman

8.       6th February – Joost van der Westhuizen

9.       8th February – Steve Sumner

10.   13th February – Sara Coward

11.   17th February – Peter Skellern

12.   20th February – Steve Hewlett

13.   26th February – Jay Clark

14.   11th March – Lisa Magill

15.   14th April – Bruce Langhorne

16.   17th April – Michael Perham

You can judge how well a DDP team is doing by how many of the above they scored on. For example, Pan Breed comes in at a disappointing 5/16, despite all of the above (bar Perham and Briggs) being on its shortlist.

If you showed photographs of these 16 people to 100 ordinary and reasonable "Clapham Omnibus" people , I wonder how many would recognise more than 2 of them.

1 minute ago, drunkasaskunk said:

If you showed photographs of these 16 people to 100 ordinary and reasonable "Clapham Omnibus" people , I wonder how many would recognise more than 2 of them.

Yes, but point standing, however,  as Pointless points out every day, the general public can be incredibly stupid.

Anytime anyone mentions Clapham I think of Up the Junction.