themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

Luis Bacalov not getting a QO Obit surprised me,he wrote Django one of the most notable songs in cimema history and won an Oscar in the 90's  for composing  the music of a film that was a Best Picture nominee.

9 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Luis Bacalov not getting a QO Obit surprised me,he wrote Django one of the most notable songs in cimema history and won an Oscar in the 90's  for composing  the music of a film that was a Best Picture nominee.

He didn't obit? Blimey. Him and Bloembergen (had a look around, no luck even in look back articles) didn't get qualifying obits while Sara Hankins did...

This is more damning of the press than any deadpooler.

• Like 4

It's truly unbelievable when Nobel Prize winners, Academy Award nominees, and reigning monarchs with a long ruling span doesn't receive a QO while someone who is only known for being in their last days does...

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

It's truly unbelievable when Nobel Prize winners, Academy Award nominees, and reigning monarchs with a long ruling span doesn't receive a QO while someone who is only known for being in their last days does...

Quit pining for some ruler of an two-bit island nation with 150 inhabitants.  If they had a printing press anywhere maybe they could have got the word out.
SC

Dude was from Malaysia, current population circa 32 million. Abdul thingy of Kedah right? Also, mentioned fairly regularly in press here, then he died: nowt. Anyone missing an obit there has a right to be aggrieved imo.

Latest update.

Not long now...

• Like 4

I don't know if it's safe to make a victory speech yet but I would like to take this opportunity to make my retirement speech.

It's been an interesting, strange and sometimes morally questionable few years for myself. I've enjoyed finding out about random personalities and their stories I would have otherwise been ignorant of.

However having, I think, claimed the title this year or at least given it my best shot I'm going to hang up my boots. There's only so many Christmases I can spend googling 'terminally ill with' before needing to step back.

I considered entering a more 'proper' celebrity based team but I want to be able to compete and this is my best opportunity to go out on top. I'm especially pleased to have beaten the legendary DQSP this year, with it being the last chance to do so for the foreseeable future as he takes over the reins. 

I had a fair bit of luck this year with so many risky picks going my way so it feels right to at least take a break from it. At times in the past I've allowed myself to put far too many hours into researching the dying so I'm going to be focusing my energies elsewhere. There's more to life than death.

I'll still be around the forums occasionally and may return to chase top spot again. Good luck to everyone competing next year and to the new host Mr DQSP. And big thanks to the Man in Black for all his efforts.

Arrivederci, bon voyage and fare thee well.

• Like 12

Ah. Farewell Bert, and good luck in whatever life brings you to next. And (probably) congratulations on winning this year. You deserved it. :) 

Congratulations Bert! Well-deserved and well-done for going out on top of it all. 

Bloody well done on an awesome DDP performance, Bert, but please don't give up altogether!  Why not have a couple of theme teams just for interest?

Or you could play the more unpredictable forum games like HPDP and the poker one.  It's not always the most deeply researched teams that do well there.

Respect to anyone who wins the DDP, and especial respect to someone who went out on top. Will miss you as a contestant and a forum poster Bert, and I think everyone here wants to see you back as soon as you feel up to googling "stage 4 cancer but not firemen who for some reason get their illnesses reported in US local press". You better be back for the 2020 showdown when I return as a competitor.

• Like 3

Congrates Bert - one of the great wins in DDP history. Shame to see you go out, but look forward to see you about again. (And sticking around the forums of course).

Congrats Bert, a brilliant win. Shame you're not defending it but with Spade also out of contention it means DDP 2018 is the most wide open for years...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, themaninblack said:

Congrats Bert, a brilliant win. Shame you're not defending it but with Spade also out of contention it means DDP 2018 is the most wide open for years...

Cue a DDT saunter to the title.

I promised DI in the chat I wouldn't predict TJS to win as that prediction has been kiss of death for him last 3 years! :D

• Haha 1

Just now, msc said:

Cue a DDT saunter to the title.

I promised DI in the chat I wouldn't predict TJS to win as that prediction has been kiss of death for him last 3 years! :D

I was about to say that. Great minds and all that. For evidence see both of our last posts posted a minute apart!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Bert - it is a shame to see you retire but never a better time than right on top. I recall OoO said he was planning to do the same in 2013, before Spade's stunning comeback. A well-deserved win for a much underrated deadpooler, and if bigger callings in life take priority, I certainly can't judge.

Congrats to Bert on winning the DDP. :clap:

An incredible effort against favorites like Death Impends and Spade.

Also would like to congratulate The Dead Cow on making it to 2nd place, his best performance by far.

Would this make him the first person to make the DDP podium who submitted their team when they were a minor (that we know of)? He didn't turn 18 till January, iirc.

Congrats Bert on an amazing win! Enjoy your retirement.

Retire at best. Well done, Bert!

Since the official deadline for obits are now closed, I will once again congratulate Bert on his win on the DDP. It's certainly exciting to see someone other than DQSBP to win this for once. 

As for me, I certainly had a learning debut appearance. Jokering FFBI is not a good idea, nor is falling for a "cult pick", and to wait on those youngsters who get diagnosed late in the year unless it's someone like Liam Miller who got pancreatic cancer. Of course, I still made a similar move that I did with Al-Baghdadi this time with Linda Nolan, so there's at least one lesson that I still need to learn. Still, it'll be interesting next year, especially since I share 12 picks with Death Impends and DDT, and an astonishing 14 with the Dead Cow. I'm honestly excited to see where this takes me to the second time around, but I think in a few years I will finally figure it out. 

Once again, congratulations on winning the DDP as you bow out next year Bert. :) 

I am very pleased to be propping up the top 20. I didn't expect a top 20 finish, still less to be one place ahead of DDT !

• Like 1

Aye, your team held up well to my assessment that it was a strong team while using only reasonably famous names. It, Shaun's team, and The B-Team were the only top 20 finishes with no hits in the Obit Vault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now hang on, aren't we forgetting to congratulate gcreptile on his theme team win?

One of my teams finished 16= (or thereabouts once it is updated of course): proud of that in my second full year.

FWIW Round Up #Infinity

Peggy Cummins: Awaiting Obit.