themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

So, I end the year in a four-way tie for 11th place with Joey, deadsox, and Dead Ends.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with my performance in my sophomore year in the DDP. I'm glad I took the punts on Jimmy Snuka (wrestler and criminal - and he died!?) and Sara Hankins (my first ever unique hit). 

But I am a bit disappointed that I dropped a lot near the end. Was top 3 thru June and top 10 thru September. I now wish I took a screenshot of the time I was in the lead (sometime late January). The only reason I didn't was because I was still optimistic about my performance back then and assumed that lead would last.

Bad luck to them, as the deadline for obits has unfortunately passed... 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Bad luck to them, as the deadline for obits has unfortunately passed... 

Drawing attention, that's all....

She may have been picked for 2018, y'see...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Now hang on, aren't we forgetting to congratulate gcreptile on his theme team win?

One of my teams finished 16= (or thereabouts once it is updated of course): proud of that in my second full year.

Thanks by the way ;). But Shameless is the bad relative everyone refuses to acknowledge.

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Doreen Keogh died on 31 December 2017 according to this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5229571/Coronation-Street-actress-Doreen-Keough-dies-aged-91.html

Along with Peggy Cummins that seems like two who would have benefited from a couple more days before time for obits closed.

I agree, I think there should be a week's grace.  It could even be seen as disrespectful to the deceased to have such an abrupt cut-off, as if they don't count.

Final update for 2017 is up...

giphy.gif

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Joint 10th in the theme league with BBC Heaven. Not bad. Not as obvious a selection as Bruce Forsyth to boost the scoring for the team in 2018 though. Will struggle to keep up with that expectation. It would have been disappointing if no one had picked Prof. Heinz Wolff though. The Great Egg Race was a fantastic show. Right up there with the Adventure Game.

Anyway, thanks for running the show TMIB! 

• Like 1

A mighty salute to main and theme team winners in this titan of pools and BIG respect to every man hour that went into running it.

29= for me after years of being shite; so fairly happy with that.

• Like 1

I had doreen keogh do i get any bonus points for her dying on 31st December ? :D

One last post as host.

A sort of "lap of honour", only it is me on a sedan chair carried by msc! (Thanks mate!)

That's it from me, over to Spade....

regeneration.gif

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Well done TMIB, 8 very successful years imo. And thanks for letting me have a wee bit of fun too! :D

• Thanks 1

Love that run through memory lane. :D I feel proud to have debuted (and do quite well!) during what was probably the best DDP season, both under Blackie's tenure and overall.

Dunno if I've ever mentioned it on here, but my laptop, purchased in the sales after the sales in 2015 and on which I'll be running the DDP from, has been named "Sadhana" as a little tribute to the Bollywood icon.

• Like 5

Just FYI on January 11 2018 I did one final 'once over' on the List of the Lost 2017 and was unable to unearth anything new (published in 2017).  So I'm putting it to rest.  Onward 2018!

SC

a11825228ceffc01518f12fbf5f819e7.jpg

On 24.9.2017 at 23:38, gcreptile said:

I actually think it's a somewhat easy feat to achieve - easier than it might seem. I think Spade could have done it, for example, if he hadn't gone for the relatively young Greg Gilbert, but, say Violet Brown, or someone like that. But we all take risks for the lower age brackets. It hurt my main team too much this year and I might take a different approach the next time.

But take the eight names above (though some of them will still die), plus a couple of low-hanging fruit, Dilip Kumar, for example. Plus possible new must-haves like John McCain or José José (if he survives) and I think you get a floor of 12-13 hits. Then pick Richard Overton or the new oldest person of the world. And you get a relatively low score, but 15 hits without a lot of risk.

@Death Impends:

This one and the one before that.

• Like 1

Ah I got ya. Weird that the actual "20 hits" team has no McCain, now that you mention it.

On 14/01/2017 at 17:07, Pedro67 said:

Diana Rots must have done some work on their team, as I see they have Lily Safra. Checked as was one of my previous unique picks.

Lily Safra, Brazilian billionaire and art collector, list of the missed:

https://valor.globo.com/financas/noticia/2022/07/09/lily-safra-uma-das-mulheres-mais-ricas-do-mundo-morre-aos-87-anos.ghtml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/07/2022 at 18:21, gcreptile said:

Dropped her when back then when she wasn’t going to be unique any more, and then she would have been this year. Suppose I won’t be doing any more customs entries for the loaf of bread she got sent to wherever she was in Europe from her favourite Canadian bakers any more. 

On 17/01/2017 at 06:47, Going Underground said:

I've just realised there are 2 Sonny West's. Sonny West is my only unique pick.

TMIB - Just to clarify, mine is the Sonny West who was friend and bodyguard of Elvis Presley and NOT the Sonny West who wrote a couple of Buddy Holly's hits.

The songwriter Sonny is 80 years old, so he may go first but so be it.

Songwriter Sonny West has now died as well

• Like 1