themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

Emma Houlston's go fund me page is still taking donations so she is alive as of today,her health status is a mystery though.

Round Up #13 (From Barra To Bury, We Shall Remember Them Special):

Eva Estrada-Kalaw: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/7873-foreign-personalities-from-stage-screen-politics-and-life/?do=findComment&comment=308674

Awaiting Obit.

Zbigniew Brzezinski: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8677-political-frailty/?do=findComment&comment=308822

Financial Times Obit: https://www.ft.com/content/602a3dda-3fe9-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58

Gregg Allman: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8959-gregg-allman/?do=findComment&comment=308926

Reuters UK Obit: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-people-allman-idUKKBN18N0WS

Ray Pfeifer: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8709-only-famous-for-being-ill-and-dying/?do=findComment&comment=309033

Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4551068/Fireman-got-cancer-aiding-9-11-recovery-dies.html

Konstantinos Mitsotakis: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8677-political-frailty/?do=findComment&comment=309084

Daily Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4550866/Former-Greek-Prime-Minister-Constantine-Mitsotakis-dies.html

John Noakes: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8639-45-john-noakes/?do=findComment&comment=309092 (Daily Mail Obit In Link)

Manuel Noriega: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/882-manuel-noriega/?do=findComment&comment=309373 (BBC Obit In Link)

Sonny West: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/1828-elvis-presley/?do=findComment&comment=309567

Awaiting Obit.

Irfon Williams: https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8709-only-famous-for-being-ill-and-dying/?do=findComment&comment=309622

Daily Mirror Obit: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/selfless-dad-five-tireless-campaigner-10533485

Daily Mail for the Konstantinos Mitsotakis: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4551054/Former-Greek-Prime-Minister-Constantine-Mitsotakis-dies-aged-98.html

It's 12 hours old, I have no idea why it didn't show up in mine or anyone else's searches earlier. :scratchhead: Probably because they anglicized his first name.

I was about to scold the British press for not reporting on a European head of government's death, while constantly reporting on cancer mums, but luckily my faith in 'em has been somewhat renewed.

To be fair (i) it's the Daily Mail, so press is a loose term here, and (ii) I wasn't particularly looking.

• Like 1

I seriously hope FFBI are getting either banned or limited to maybe one or two picks. I mean, Shameless is doing very well, and I don't think that someone with ONLY FFBI picks should really be given the title.

Also, what happened with separating the main and theme competition so that theme teams aren't allowed to win? 

Latest update...

• Like 5

It's weird how half of the deaths this month have happened in the past five days.

Interesting, nobody picked Hanning.

Oy, it's been almost 3 months since we last did an analysis of our survivors. None of mine have died since last time, but there's a lot of new info on them so here we go:

Leah Bracknell: Looks ghastly, but still seems energetic for now. Probably an end-of-the-year death. 80%.

Gay Byrne: Treatment going well, worst pick on my team. But the fact that he seems so exhausted is a little suspicious. 20%.

Errol Christie: Riddled with cancer, nephew thinks every visit will be his last. Weeks left. 100%.

Gord Downie: Constantly going to sporting events, not on the clock yet but he'll take a turn for the worse eventually. 85%.

Greg Gilbert: Treatment hasn't been working, but so far he's still keeping himself busy tweeting and drawing. 75%.

Kristin Hallenga: Has had cancer for years but shit don't phase her. Might take a turn for the worse later, probably not. 30%.

Heidi Loughlin: Doing her bucket list. Life expectancy runs out later this year, but I feel like she may surpass it. 50%.

King Michael I of Romania: Nurses by his side, blah blah, getting more frail, blah blah. 90%.

Simon Ricketts: He'll take a turn for the worse in some months. Decent chance at a hit. 65%.

Rena Salmon: Not been much news about her. Probably a fraud. 25%.

Valery Spiridonov: Operation called off. Even if he dies from natural causes, he's off the press radars so might be no obit. 20%.

Stefan Karl Stefansson: Cancer is back with a vengeance. Likely a goner later this year. 70%.

We are starting to get to the point of the year where it's not just about getting hits,but hoping other players terminal dead certs can hold on just long enough to next year's January startline.

• Like 1

And now mine (four months I don't get a hit!):

Nick Boles: Completely cancer free and standing for re-election 5%

Leah Bracknell: Gravely ill and very thin. It won't be a surprise to see hear dead by the end of the year. 70%

Glen Campbell: The updates about him are all similar: doesn't talk, doesn't eat, bla bla. 60%

Errol Christie: 100 tumors? A matter of days 100%

Mireille Darc: Very frail, but not in immediate danger 35%

Gord Downie: He's terminally ill and will die. Period. 80%

Greg Gilbert: I see him as a late December hit. 65%

Scott Hamilton: Worst pick EVER. 2%

Smith Hart: Palliative care. 100%

Colin Meads: Yes, a goner for sure. 85%

King Michael: I'm starting to think he will survive the year. 60%

Simon Ricketts: A goner. 80%

Peter Sallis: He's just old. 40%

So here we go on mine:

Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi: War on Isis is still raging on. Should be a goner sooner or later, he'll be gone by the end of the decade. 70%

Tony Booth: Still has a ton of health issues, still doesn't understand a lot, but I think he may slip into 2018. 60%

Glen Campbell: Has a ton of tumors on him, I'd be surprised if he lasts out the month, 100%

Errol Christie: Has Alzheimer's, and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking anymore. Think his situation is more dire than Booth. 70%

Rick Davies: Bad pick. 10%

Gord Downie: Still active as we speak, but I have a feeling he's going to take a sudden turn for the worse sometime soon. 90%

Greg Gilbert: Treatment isn't working, and while he's still tweeting away, treatment that doesn't work is never a good sign. 85%

Heidi Loughlin: Still doing her bucket list as we speak, and while her life expectancy is soon, I agree with RadGuy that she'll surpass it. 50%

Colin Meads: Don't know what'll kill him first, the cancer or the bleach water that he keeps drinking. Wait, unnatural death bonus with him? Certainly plausible. 85%

Simon Ricketts: Still tweeting away, nothing bad happening, think he'll slide into 2018. 40%

Stefan Karl Stefansson: Recently discovered that a tumor metastasized to his liver. Not a good sign for him. 75%

Spoiler

Someone saying that I've mixed Campbell and Christie is coming in 3, 2, 1...

On 6/3/2017 at 10:00, Joey Russ said:

So here we go on mine:

Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi: War on Isis is still raging on. Should be a goner sooner or later, he'll be gone by the end of the decade. 70%

Tony Booth: Still has a ton of health issues, still doesn't understand a lot, but I think he may slip into 2018. 60%

Glen Campbell: Has a ton of tumors on him, I'd be surprised if he lasts out the month, 100%

Errol Christie: Has Alzheimer's, and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking anymore. Think his situation is more dire than Booth. 70%

Rick Davies: Bad pick. 10%

Gord Downie: Still active as we speak, but I have a feeling he's going to take a sudden turn for the worse sometime soon. 90%

Greg Gilbert: Treatment isn't working, and while he's still tweeting away, treatment that doesn't work is never a good sign. 85%

Heidi Loughlin: Still doing her bucket list as we speak, and while her life expectancy is soon, I agree with RadGuy that she'll surpass it. 50%

Colin Meads: Don't know what'll kill him first, the cancer or the bleach water that he keeps drinking. Wait, unnatural death bonus with him? Certainly plausible. 85%

Simon Ricketts: Still tweeting away, nothing bad happening, think he'll slide into 2018. 40%

Stefan Karl Stefansson: Recently discovered that a tumor metastasized to his liver. Not a good sign for him. 75%

Reveal hidden contents

Someone saying that I've mixed Campbell and Christie is coming in 3, 2, 1...

Did you mix up Errol and Glen?

On 6/3/2017 at 09:25, drol said:

Peter Sallis: He's just old. 40%

Nope. He's dead.

I'm bored (official pentecostal holiday in Germany), so here are mine, Main Team and B-Team, my estimation of Shameless is already somewhere else:

The Love Boat

1. Leah Bracknell - probably getting frailer with each day, always hiding her body. Showing her decline would damage her reputation as a shamanistic healer. 80%

2. Valeri Spiridonov - could still die naturally, but for now stable according to his livejournal blog, 25%

3. Gord Downie - should die, but resilient so far. 80%

4. Greg Gilbert - by all accounts, a sure 2nd half of the year hit. 85%

5. Errol Christie - well... 100%

6. Dmitri Hvorostovsky - no concerts planned anymore, probably going down, but this year? 75%

7. Sharon Laws - a two-day old article specified her cancer being stage IV, still in treatment though and riding her bicycle with diminished power. The cancer of Joey Feek, just a bit earlier. 50%

8. Connie Johnson - a question of days or weeks, not months 100%

9. Daisy Berkowitz - last update 2 months ago, was feeling ok. A case where the treatment might stop working and we don't hear of it until his death 50%

10. Dj Casper - in the absence of news, going with statistics means roughly 80% (neuroblastioma or what's it called...)

11. Mao Kobayashi - last time I checked her blog she had this ...cannula...in her nose, for the first time, she's looking worse each day, obit? 60%

12. Catherine Nevin - well, fraud or for real and just fighting like mad? 60%

13. Rayya Elias - apparently going very soon 90%

14. Glen Campbell - probably a hit, but Alzheimer's is hard to pin down temporally, so he might survive the year...again, 75%

15. Stefan Karl - big question of will he or won't he die this year 50%

16. Simon Ricketts - big question of will he or won't he die this year 50%

There's no "really" bad pick in my main team, and there's a not-completely-out-of-this-world chance that they all die, so in spite of the very slow "progress", my team is still one of the title contenders, BUT: such slow progress means that it's more likely that a couple of these picks slip through into 2018. And I NEED Ricketts to beat Spade, and I NEED Stefan Karl to beat Bert Trautmann. I need to count on a wild December.

The B-Team:

1. Gary DeCarlo - he used to post almost daily on Facebook, now silence for a month, 80%

2. Andrew Fairlie - typical case of "treatment is currently working", Valerie Harper-y 30%

3. Seiji Ozawa - recent articles always describe him as frail, but not yet critically so, 30%

4. Nick Boles - good for now, wouldn't count him completely as a miss yet, but odds are in his favor, 15%

5. Julia Perez - Eh, see Mao Kobayashi above, except that Perez never had BBC coverage 50%

6. Colin Meads - He cannot survive 2017, or can he? 85%

7. Kevin Murray - dead any day now, but in his case, each more day diminished his obitability 50%

8. Steve Gleason - haven't checked up on him lately, but then Van der Westhuizen was also active on social media until the end, the statistics say: 70%

9. Colin Butts - silence for a while now, obitability is safer than I initially thought - 80%

10. Herbert Kretzmer - stopped appearing in the press after Octobre 2015, 75%

11. Smith Hart - in hospice, but obitability not entirely sure (but it'll be The Mirror won't it?) - 80%

12. John Swinton of Kimmerghane - I just picked him because I wanted to be unusual. Age-based pick: 25%

13. Paul Van Zandvliet - could be any day now - 90%

14. Anthony Booth - his Alzheimer's is not as progressed as Campbell's, but other factors speak against him, 80%

The B-team is really not bad at all, for a reserve team. I should have juggled the names a bit differently and I would have had an invincible main team (Van Zandvliet, Ray Pfeifer, Snuka and Skellern for Berkowitz, Spiridonov, Nevin and maybe Ricketts). But then cutting down your long list to a short list and then the short list to a 20-man team is an art by itself. I could imagine my B-Team making the Top 20 in the end.

Perez actually did get profiled by the BBC around say... 2012, which was one of the factors that persuaded me to risk her. Unless you mean coverage of their illness.

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Perez actually did get profiled by the BBC around say... 2012, which was one of the factors that persuaded me to risk her. Unless you mean coverage of their illness.

Ah ok, not that recently, but at least something. 50% => 55%

On 23/04/2017 at 04:03, themaninblack said:

Latest update.

Julia Perez dead. I think an obit is unlikely but we'll see.

One thing in her favour, her treatment was paid by Ahok, the top politician, anti-corruption leader and current Nelson Mandela figure of Indonesia who was recently jailed under pressure from radical Muslins. So she links into the biggest political story of the last few years, and therefore some paper may see fit to include her.

Edited by Youth in Asia
for some reason Halibut was changed to halibut !!

So the surviving attendees at the 2017 Carkers Convention

Colin Baddiel - Nowt much available on his current health but known to be going downhill - 60%

Tony Booth - Points taken above - surely marginal for next year's games - 85%

Leah Bracknell - Hangs in there but loads of them do, for a while - 60%

Pauline Cafferkey - Really stupid pick - 5%

Glen Campbell - And the hits on his health just keep on coming - 99%

Errol Christie - So sick the good sweepstake calls are already taken - 100%

Shannen Doherty - A survivor and most recently "in remission" so that's probably fodder for future years, then - 15%

Gord Downie

- Appears able to fight back but really fucking ill - 65%

Paul Gascoigne

- Fucking do-gooders are doing good for him - 40%

Anne Hamilton-Byrne

- Aw c'mon; how much more palliative care can a terminally ill 96 year old soak up?! - 70%

Martin Peters

- Taken in by his skilful off the ball runs I thought him likely to steal ahead of the other Boys of 66, probs a bad 2017 pick - 40%

Brian Reader - Considered a banker in the list last year and maybe a bad pick in retrospect - 40%

Kenny Sansome - See Gazza above but he's partial to a park bench whilst Gazza's partial to a pub - 45%

6 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Julia Perez dead. I think an obit is unlikely but we'll see.

I kind of have to agree. A BBC Obit did show up, but since it's in a foreign language, it doesn't count. Though if one did show up, you can see me :banghead::banghead::banghead: all day. 

Tough times for a lucky obit. Too much news. And it's weekend. Maybe the Telegraph backlog?

Due to her large social media presence, I think she could get the daily mail, but it's not guaranteed by any means.