themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I hope Cameron-Blackie gets an obit so DDT continues his streak on getting a unique pick every year. Bannatyne, on the other hand, not so much. I think Shameless has enough hits, and I want to be above Shameless for the rest of the year...

It would be a shame if she doesn't obit because it may well be my fav gamble of the year. An outrageous punt given at the beginning of the year there was no real sign she'd be QO-worthy... and then she challenges Corbyn's seat.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

It would be a shame if she doesn't obit because it may well be my fav gamble of the year. An outrageous punt given at the beginning of the year there was no real sign she'd be QO-worthy... and then she challenges Corbyn's seat.

Aye, I mean, she was on my list (as seen in the Research thread), but I wound up not picking her for two reasons, one of which was the QO worry. So more power to DDT for holding firm on it.

31 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I could be wrong, but I think that you need to be over 100 points this time if you want a chance to be in the top 20. Even if Elias dies (she will), Overton dies, and Qureshi dies and obits, you'll still only be at 98 points. And with Downie and Bracknell still on the table, you'll lose massive ground if they die...

That was the 'hope against hope' part :unsure:

Update on my surviving picks:

Nick Boles. Cancer beaten, political career over, good health. 2%

Leah Bracknell: Basically fucked. Treatment stopped working in March, so she can't have much time left. 80%

Mireille Darc: Very reclusive, will probably be bedridden/ on wheelchair for the rest of her life, but danger is not immediate. 15%

Gord Downie: His life expectancy is over and he's been quiet for a while. Not long to wait for. 80%

Greg Gilbert: Cancer lost the first round. Unlikely to die this year. 30%

Scott Hamilton: Worst pick ever. 1%

King Michael: Bedridden with leukaemia and skin cancer. Gone by December. 75%

Simon Ricketts: Seems to be one for 2018. Chemiotherapy going well. 35%

• Like 1

Hm. I currently have 8 survivors on my team (obitality doesn't matter in this case), so let's see how my survivors are doing: 

Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi: Still on the run, but I don't think he's a likely hit anymore. Still, 4 and a half months is a long time...

Tony Booth: He is in worsening condition, I'd honestly be surprised if he wasn't dead by the end of the year. 

Rick Davies: Bad pick. End of story. 

Gord Downie: Looked good in his last appearance, but now there's a notable silence, and no news is good news. 

Greg Gilbert: Chemo acted extremely well. It will come back, but it probably won't happen till next year. 

Heidi Loughlin: She's still doing okay. I'm starting to have doubts on her obitality tbh when she does die. 

Simon Ricketts: 2018 pick. Always a gamble from the start, and it's looking like the latter. 

Stefan Karl Stefansson: Primary tumor still there, and is now saying surgery or nothing, so he'll probably die...

...but he's probably dead in early 2018. 

So, I predict 2 more hits before the year's end, which certainly not a bad achievement in my first year. I'm honestly happy with my first year, and I think that's all that really matters...

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Hm. I currently have 8 survivors on my team (obitality doesn't matter in this case), so let's see how my survivors are doing: 

Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi: Still on the run, but I don't think he's a likely hit anymore. Still, 4 and a half months is a long time...

Tony Booth: He is in worsening condition, I'd honestly be surprised if he wasn't dead by the end of the year. 

Rick Davies: Bad pick. End of story. 

Gord Downie: Looked good in his last appearance, but now there's a notable silence, and no news is good news. 

Greg Gilbert: Chemo acted extremely well. It will come back, but it probably won't happen till next year. 

Heidi Loughlin: She's still doing okay. I'm starting to have doubts on her obitality tbh when she does die. 

Simon Ricketts: 2018 pick. Always a gamble from the start, and it's looking like the latter. 

Stefan Karl Stefansson: Primary tumor still there, and is now saying surgery or nothing, so he'll probably die...

...but he's probably dead in early 2018. 

So, I predict 2 more hits before the year's end, which certainly not a bad achievement in my first year. I'm honestly happy with my first year, and I think that's all that really matters...

Should we assume that you're lying any time you don't qualify a statement with "honestly"?  :evil2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 Drop 40 hits in 3 days!

I think I might do the update tonight.

Mainly because there's a race for the Jerry Lewis pun with the DeathList!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, themaninblack said:

I think I might do the update tonight.

Mainly because there's a race for the Jerry Lewis pun with the DeathList!

Deathlist had their pun. Was it what you were going to use?

41 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Deathlist had their pun. Was it what you were going to use?

*Looks at main page*

No!

:P

Update wont be tonight, or even tomorrow unless there's yet another big death!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/04/2017 at 23:30, Death Impends said:

James Joseph Dresnok, US soldier who defected to North Korea decades back, has died according to this report. Unfortunately for the team who picked him, though, he died back in 2016 and it's only now been publicly revealed. :skull:

Receives coverage in the UK press with The Guardian and The Sun now.

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Receives coverage in the UK press with The Guardian and The Sun now.

Bad luck for that team...

Latest update...

• Like 6

On 1/1/2017 at 12:36, Bert Trautmann said:

There's always at least one obvious pick who completely evades me every year; it's Rayya Elias this time.

Ditched Meads at the last minute but might come to regret that, the miracle water stuff is certain bollocks

Ever suddenly had the realisation who is going to be the decisive hit in the 2017 DDP?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cant believe how long she has been clinging on.

Been living with metastatic pancreatic cancer for 18 months and at least 3 months with no treatment.

I wonder what her odds of making 2018 are ?1/1000 1/2000.Seems negigible though.

On 8/20/2017 at 08:44, Sir Creep said:

That was the 'hope against hope' part :unsure:

1. Pat BOWLEN -- Knew better than to pick Alzheimer's folks....unless I'm beginning to suffer from same.  (And shocked he wasn't a solo pick). 15%
  2. Colin BUTTS -- Probably wouldn't obit anyway.  10%
  3. Rico CONSTANTINO - Another whining wrestler I fell for and took the 3 count.  Just picked the wrong one is all, a few have died. 3%
  4. Rayya ELIAS  Joker!  -- Hope against hope 75%
  5. Scott HAMILTON -- Bad pick, he whines as much as a wrestler. 0%
  6. Mo HAQUE Unique pick -- Seems to be on the mend, but no crime in grabbing an ill person and a solo hit possibility.  I have no regrets 5%
  7. Patrick JOHN Unique pick -- I'm rather astonished he is doing well, I would have bet him a top 5 candidate on my team to die.  3%
  8. Sasha LAKOVIC -- DEAD.  Obit chances are too. 0%
  9. Richard Arvine OVERTON -- Any minute now..... 80%
  10. Nabeel QURESHI Unique pick -- Hope against hopes Part II. 80%
  11. Simon RICKETTS -- Seems ok for the rest of this year, and then probably won't obit anyway. 8%
  12. Valery SPIRIDONOV -- Save your comments.  Whatever dastardly thing you would say about this pick I say to myself daily.  1%
  13. Mike IX WILLIAMS -- Another pick I thought was safe.  Who knew metal heads would donate and buy this f***er an organ?  He should be dead. 0%
    SC

In other news, I'm guessing due to the fucker of a weekend last weekend was, I'm guessing Cameron Blackie probably isn't obitting. I'm kind of sad about that. :( 

39 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:
  1. Rico CONSTANTINO - Another whining wrestler I fell for and took the 3 count.  Just picked the wrong one is all, a few have died. 3%
  2. Simon RICKETTS -- Seems ok for the rest of this year, and then probably won't obit anyway. 8%

Ricketts will piss an obit, it's just he's almost certainly a late 2018/early 2019 pick at this point.

As for Rico, wrestlers, eh? When they go "I am ill", skeptical. It's when others guy "X is ill" one pays attention. So, Superstar says he is ill, and has since 2010. The doctors said Snuka was ill. Yet I still thought he was taking the piss. Shows what I know!  I've never picked a winning wrestler, even when I knew they're gold, like Smith Hart, or Mulligan. That Nick Bockwinkel not getting an obit really astounded me.

• Like 1

Sir Creep's insistence on picking people he has no idea about the fame of is one of the DDP's weirdest quirks. Still reeling from his "Sir Colin Meads might not obit" angle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:
  1. Valery SPIRIDONOV -- Save your comments.  Whatever dastardly thing you would say about this pick I say to myself daily.  1%

He's definitely a crucial pick for me in pools. If he dies (and that's a big if), he'll help me stay in the DDP top 10, and maintain my HPDP lead. Not to mention he's my fuckin Hare's Pool joker.

Not getting the Frankenstein operation any more, but he's still terminally ill. 

He's probably stable, but since there's been no news on him, I'm kinda optimistic that he might be nearing death. Gcreptile did mention some kind of live blog, but I dunno anything about that.

Scott Hamilton is indeed an annoying politically correct very religious dick. And his cancer is ridicolous, damn me when I chose him instead of Traci McGiffin. Anyway 7th place is no bad for now, and my joker is still breathing.

3 hours ago, msc said:

Ricketts will piss an obit, it's just he's almost certainly a late 2018/early 2019 pick at this point.

Not picking him next year. He just screams "new Helen Fawkes AKA journalist with terminal cancer who manages to avoid death for years".