Spade_Cooley

Stefan Karl Stefansson

On 2017. 11. 10. at 17:13, gcreptile said:

He's a new Daisy Berkowitz. At some point it's going to get him.

Don't think he'd last for four years like Berkowitz. Stage IV cancer is always bad news, but bile duct cancer has a significantly lower median survival time and lower survival rate than colon cancer. (5-year relative survival rates for stage IV colon and bile duct cancers are 11% and 2%, respectively.)

In fact, based on the statistics and recent news about him, he could be content if he would get one last Christmas with his family.

I reckon we are talking months at most few weeks at worst.

6 minutes ago, GossipGabe said:

Don't think he'd last for four years like Berkowitz. Stage IV cancer is always bad news, but bile duct cancer has a significantly lower median survival time and lower survival rate than colon cancer. (5-year relative survival rates for stage IV colon and bile duct cancers are 11% and 2%, respectively.)

In fact, based on the statistics and recent news about him, he could be content if he would get one last Christmas with his family.

You are quite right stage 4 colon cancer sufferers enjoy a much higher prognosis to bile duct cancer patients.Stefan also said he would no longer bother with palliative chemo.He knows he is fucked.

On the bright side, one of the participants who plan on partaking the Advent Avalanche may be able to pick him tomorrow, aye? 

• Like 1

Turns out his previous tweet was a false alarm. Still okayish, for now:

Yeah, I remember when they told my mother something like that.  :( 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Nasquacker said:

Any update on his condition recently?

Just the tweet that he was cancer free, then there was a bit of a scare, but that turned out to be nothing. 

6 hours ago, Phantom said:

Just the tweet that he was cancer free, then there was a bit of a scare, but that turned out to be nothing. 

I still don't see him making it to 2019, but I must say it's impressive he's been able to survive this long already.

2 hours ago, Nasquacker said:

I still don't see him making it to 2019, but I must say it's impressive he's been able to survive this long already.

That's what we thought about my pal Danny when he was diagnosed with stage 4 Multiple myeloma. but here he is several blood transfusions, bone marrow transplant and a couple of heart attacks later, still kicking 6 years since his initial diagnosis.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Phantom said:

That's what we thought about my pal Danny when he was diagnosed with stage 4 Multiple myeloma. but here he is several blood transfusions, bone marrow transplant and a couple of heart attacks later, still kicking 6 years since his initial diagnosis.

I wish your pal Danny all the best, and I hope he still has many good years in him, but multiple myeloma and bile duct carcinoma are totally different types of cancer and thus his case cannot be compared to Stefan's.

Multiple myeloma is almost always (95%) diagnosed in the "distant" stage, yet 48.4% of these patients survive for at least 5 years. On the other hand, less than 3% of people with stage IV liver and intrahepatic bile duct (or extrahepatic bile duct) cancers survive for (at least) 5 years. And the 1-year rates are also rather poor:

For those diagnosed in England  in 2012

• almost 30 out of 100 men (almost 30%) survived their cancer for 1 year or more after being diagnosed
  • 25 out of 100 women (25%) survived their cancer for 1 year or more after being diagnosed

Source: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/bile-duct-cancer/survival (note that the above rates are for all stages, the rates for stage IV are likely much worse)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GossipGabe said:

I wish your pal Danny all the best, and I hope he still has many good years in him, but multiple myeloma and bile duct carcinoma are totally different types of cancer and thus his case cannot be compared to Stefan's.

Multiple myeloma is almost always (95%) diagnosed in the "distant" stage, yet 48.4% of these patients survive for at least 5 years. On the other hand, less than 3% of people with stage IV liver and intrahepatic bile duct (or extrahepatic bile duct) cancers survive for (at least) 5 years. And the 1-year rates are also rather poor:

Source: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/bile-duct-cancer/survival (note that the above rates are for all stages, the rates for stage IV are likely much worse)

Thanks He's had to quit touring and now lives in Mexico as he can obtain better healthcare than he can in the US. Also he doesn't have to declare himself bankrupt while trying to obtain medical insurance. 

• Like 1

Latest from his GoFundMe. :skull:

From Stefan:

"Dear friends,
As some of you know, my recent medical scan tells us that the cancer has spread. This is difficult, though not unexpected news. My family and I will be discussing next steps with our excellent medical team.

I wanted to share this news with those of you who have taken this journey with me. I'm so grateful for your affection and help -- your words of encouragement have meant the world to me. They helped lift my spirits during dark days.

Now it's time for another chapter. I will be spending the remainder of my time with family and friends, working on a few projects that are dear to my heart, and mostly appreciating the beauty that life gives to us all.

We will be closing this GoFundMe page shortly and, again, I want to thank all of you who gave so generously to help me and my family.

Love to you all from Robbie Rotten, the Grinch, and most of all, from Stefan."

• Sad 8

I’m quite saddened by this, but unfortunately it was inevitable. Seemed like a really great guy too despite being best known as a villain...

• Like 3

Very sad. Guy has 4 kids as well, hope he continues to fight and has alot of time left with his family.

• Like 1

I had hoped he was on the road to recovery

6 hours ago, Phantom said:

I had hoped he was on the road to recovery

As much as I would’ve liked a recovery to happen, that was never going to be the case with him. Was originally diagnosed as pancreatic cancer, had an operation in starting that month and went into full remission in February. Returned 3 months later as bile duct cancer, and looked like he had weeks to live. Then it went into “remission” according to tabloids, but as I mentioned in the thread, that was misleading only the metastasis was gone. He had also said that he wouldn’t do chemo when it does eventually return. He had an operable tumor at his liver in early November (it’s on his YouTube channel), and another scan in late November only to get an all clear. So his history of cancer was building up. It would’ve been a miracle if his cancer went into remission permanently (and personally I wouldn’t have mind that), but that was sadly never going to be the case...

That's sad. So he didn't make a Chris Rea or Wilko Johnson.

Article states he's going to have chemo so sounds like he's got a few months left in him yet and might even make next year? 

It would be extremely cool of Death List Committee to include him next year if he did make the start line as if his fame criteria was never in doubt they just didn't think he was going to die.

My feeling is late summer/fall.

42 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Article states he's going to have chemo so sounds like he's got a few months left in him yet and might even make next year? 

It would be extremely cool of Death List Committee to include him next year if he did make the start line as if his fame criteria was never in doubt they just didn't think he was going to die.

I'm not getting that feeling. Wer'e in Warren Zevon "enjoy every sandwich" territory IMHO. HPDP, DDP and the others that run until midnight New Year's Eve might well pay out on this one.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I thought he said months ago that he wasn’t going to have chemo again if it returns, so it might be the journalists falsely reading between the lines.

That said, I still think he has a few months and likely won’t affect the outcome of our game. He won’t see 2019, and even if he did see 2019, I doubt the committee would pick him anyways...

Off topic question, but why does the forum sometimes make a double post like this one which it’s now edited?