RobertMugabe

Freddie Starr

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Given how high-profile he once was I'm surprised how low profile the reports are. Main item on BBC Entertainment page at the moment but didn't hear it in the radio news headlines. Bit harsh IMHO

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment_and_arts

Good point. I've found that the coverage of celebrity deaths on BBC news and Sky News have been far more minimal the past couple of years. Some big names barely get a mention. Maybe they tired of such stories after 2016. Barbara Bush was a prime example last year, she had a one minute segment then it cut back to brexit malarkey. 

Starr was never a A++ celebrity though, he wasn't Bruce Forsythe or Ronnie Corbett. He was in the "reduced to reality TV in later years" fame bracket with Chegwin and Davro.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Interestingly, if you watch episodes of things like The Two Ronnies (oh how beloved they were!) from the early 1970s, the open sexism and racism would take your breath away today. Times were different, really different.

For all the talk of Barker's genius as a comedy writer, you really could lose 85% of every episode of TTR and not be any the worse for it. Especially the interminable musical numbers. For instance:

Take a look at this awful rubbish, from almost 40 years ago.

26 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

For all the talk of Barker's genius as a comedy writer, you really could lose 85% of every episode of TTR and not be any the worse for it. Especially the interminable musical numbers. For instance:

I watched The Two Ronnies on Netflix a while ago, and as YoungWillz said, sexism and racism pervaded the shows in a way that wouldn't be allowed today. I wondered how I didn't realise it originally (partly I suspect was that I were but a lad when it began).

Anyway, back on-topic, I won a few quid backing Minnehoma in the 94 Grand National.

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Times were different, really different.

Yes, we still enjoyed the right of free speech.

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not sure I'd bracket Starr with Manning and Davidson. Starr was from a music background initially, so was exposed to a wider circle of people and he was clever not to push the rather blatant narrow "comedy" of the latter two.

Interestingly, if you watch episodes of things like The Two Ronnies (oh how beloved they were!) from the early 1970s, the open sexism and racism would take your breath away today. Times were different, really different.

Starr never really appealed to me. All a bit "Ain't I zany?" to me.

I've never seen Davidson in anything other than Big Break, and he was overshadowed by John Virgo there.

Manning's timing is great, but so was Frank Carsons, and Carson was able to judge the audience and tour/do TV to wild acclaim pretty much till the cancer got him.

Ronnie Barker was a better actor, but Ronnie Corbett funnier (and more likeable?) and both worked far better not with each other.

Alexei Sayle was hilarious, Ben Elton was not. All the puppet folk aren't funny, Rikki Fulton was (oh ye of little faith, Mr Willz! :D) but I don't get Limmy. Modern comics are all a bit Michael McIntyre to me.

Anyhow, funniest comic was Dave Allen. Right, thats enough hot takes. Yer right, entire things subjective.

• Like 1

I make this the 3rd I'm A Celeb star to die after Tara Palmer T and David Gest.

Who next? Katie Price, David Van Day, Uri Geller, Daniella Westbrook, George Hamilton?

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I make this the 3rd I'm A Celeb star to die after Tara Palmer T and David Gest.

Who next? Katie Price, David Van Day, Uri Geller, Daniella Westbrook, George Hamilton?

Fourth. Eric Bristow died last year.

Elaine Lordan is another potential candidate for next death.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48222827

I think the BBC still saying reports only probably reduces the coverage it is getting a little.

Aye well, the BBC and the other major news outlets appear convinced now

As the headlines switch from Prince Harry to Freddie Starr I thought... now there's two completely contrasting individuals with nothing in common. Well, if you don't count wearing a Nazi uniform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/05/2019 at 11:26, msc said:

Starr never really appealed to me. All a bit "Ain't I zany?" to me.

I've never seen Davidson in anything other than Big Break, and he was overshadowed by John Virgo there.

Manning's timing is great, but so was Frank Carsons, and Carson was able to judge the audience and tour/do TV to wild acclaim pretty much till the cancer got him.

Ronnie Barker was a better actor, but Ronnie Corbett funnier (and more likeable?) and both worked far better not with each other.

Alexei Sayle was hilarious, Ben Elton was not. All the puppet folk aren't funny, Rikki Fulton was (oh ye of little faith, Mr Willz! :D) but I don't get Limmy. Modern comics are all a bit Michael McIntyre to me.

Anyhow, funniest comic was Dave Allen. Right, thats enough hot takes. Yer right, entire things subjective.

I don't know who Rikki Fulton is but I agree with everything else you've said. 

Starr was a childhood friend/rival of my mum's cousin. My great-aunt Evelyn used to babysit him [how's that for a lame claim to fame] and he was always a bit zany and hyperactive even as a kid. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Starr was a childhood friend/rival of my mum's cousin. My great-aunt Evelyn used to babysit him [how's that for a lame claim to fame] and he was always a bit zany and hyperactive even as a kid. 

Hmm - we might finally have found a cure for that hyper-activity

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

Fulton was a Scottish-centric comic best known for recurring TV roles such as the dour Presbyterian minister I M Jolly, and Super Cop the world's worst traffic cop with his catchphrase "Out of the car, Stirling [Moss]!" Probably dated to all hell now, but I thought he was hilarious when I were a kid. Also, my dad was one of the nurses on hand when he died.