Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

I hate to butt in, but this is probably just a cultural difference.

In Britain, elderly might be a synonym to old.

But as an America I can confirm Sir Creep's argument that elderly means frail, near death, can't wipe their own ass type of thing, while old means just anybody who is not young or middle aged.

• Like 1

I would say elderly refers roughly to a person who is visibly past retirement age.There is no specific age you can attribute to or state of health.Say if you have a couple in their 70`s and one is riddled with Alzheimer's and bedridden and the other runs half marathons they can still be referred to as an elderly couple.

• Like 1

But as an America I can confirm Sir Creep's argument that elderly means frail, near death, can't wipe their own ass type of thing, while old means just anybody who is not young or middle aged.

It's not quite a synonym - old is older than elderly in British English. Elderly is "getting on a bit" but not necessarily conclusively "old".

As Shaun says, it has nothing to do with state of health.

But see, the US dictionary concurs. I think this is a case of people increasingly using the word wrongly, until the meaning has been changed by the masses.

An example of that happening is "infer" which people think means to suggest, imply, insinuate. It actually means to understand, deduce, conclude, but people use it wrongly all the time.

I'll also offer "ignorant" which seems to be used far, far more to mean ill-mannered or rude, than its principal meaning of uninformed, someone who doesn't know.

• Like 2

It's not quite a synonym - old is older than elderly in British English. Elderly is "getting on a bit" but not necessarily conclusively "old".

As Shaun says, it has nothing to do with state of health.

But see, the US dictionary concurs. I think this is a case of people increasingly using the word wrongly, until the meaning has been changed by the masses.

An example of that happening is "infer" which people think means to suggest, imply, insinuate. It actually means to understand, deduce, conclude, but people use it wrongly all the time.

I'll also offer "ignorant" which seems to be used far, far more to mean ill-mannered or rude, than its principal meaning of uninformed, someone who doesn't know.

My American Heritage Dictionary lists elderly as an adjective meaning: Approaching old age; rather old.

SC is correct in one line, it isn't even debatable. One doesn't get to coin one's own definition of words. Certainly you can use it however you want but the definition in the dictionary is definitive to anyone reasonable. Many people have a mistaken impression of what a word means since they've only heard it used. That doesn't mean that "your" definition has changed the way the rest of the English speaking world will use the word. If you're not sure of an exact meaning, look it up. I've certainly done that on many occasions and there's no shame in it. The only shame is using it incorrectly even after being educated as to the correct meaning or engaging in silly arguments about it.

• Like 2

Does anyone even care what the differance is, I don't.

• Like 1

You boys talking crap about the oxford dictionary while you could be researching death candidates. Poor that. Shaun of dead and Morbid kid are only people that do good death research, rest of you need to up your game.

You boys talking crap about the oxford dictionary while you could be researching death candidates. Poor that. Shaun of dead and Morbid kid are only people that do good death research, rest of you need to up your game.

Hey Bobby Mugs, I certainly DO research death candidates which is how I got into this originally. However, you continually refuse to answer my questions about your current state of health. This is decidedly unfriendly. I also notice that you list yourself in your signature death list. I don't think that's cricket. You have an unfair advantage if you decide to off yourself.

• Like 1

Does anyone even care what the differance is, I don't.

The consequences, sadly, are all too clear.

Just because you haven't heard of these people before doesn't mean they're poor candidates. Spade will clearly prove you wrong.

Hey Bobby Mugs, I certainly DO research death candidates which is how I got into this originally. However, you continually refuse to answer my questions about your current state of health. This is decidedly unfriendly. I also notice that you list yourself in your signature death list. I don't think that's cricket. You have an unfair advantage if you decide to off yourself.

My health is indeed declining, I've stolen my last farm, but mrs Mugabe is taking over dw.

• Like 2

Just because you haven't heard of these people before doesn't mean they're poor candidates. Spade will clearly prove you wrong.

Nah, you just pick nobodies, I bet you even got morgan tsvangirai in there.

• Like 1

Madeleine Mccann

I think it's effing stupid of you to put Madeline McCann in your shadowlist. I get it, you're this 'hilarious' troll account and putting on an act and all, but please leave the little girl who's likely deceased since long ago the hell out of it. If she, against all odds, still is alive, then why the f*ck would she die this particular year?

Madeleine Mccann

I think it's effing stupid of you to put Madeline McCann in your shadowlist. I get it, you're this 'hilarious' troll account and putting on an act and all, but please leave the little girl who's likely deceased since long ago the hell out of it. If she, against all odds, still is alive, then why the f*ck would she die this particular year?

Please explain the rules. If for example they find a body, do they then have to prove the year of death too?

Madeleine Mccann

Please explain the rules. If for example they find a body, do they then have to prove the year of death too?

It depends on. If her death happened recently enough, then forensics would potentially be able help discern in what time frame the murder took place. However, in these types of cases, the most common outcome is that she died shortly after her disappearence in 2007. If that is the case, then the body will not be found at all due to decomposition (10 years is a long time).

While still an effing tacky thing to do, at least it would make more sense if you had put a recently vanished child on your list instead.

• Like 1

My health is indeed declining, I've stolen my last farm, but mrs Mugabe is taking over dw.

Thanks Bobby. We'd all appreciate updates with specific conditions as time goes on. BTW, How IS Grace?

Madeleine Mccann

Yes otherwise there is no bloody point.We could just pick a ton of missing people by your logic.McCann is only famous for the fact she is likely dead.

• Like 1

John McCririck - just seen him on the gogglebox; significantly thiner and very shaky indeed. Place yer bets.

• Like 1

You really need to read these, might give you an idea on how to get into character and be, ya know, funny.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smartboard/shop/corena/

• Like 1

You really need to read these, might give you an idea on how to get into character and be, ya know, funny.

WTF, what has Idi Amin got to do with me? wtf

UGANDA is 3000km from zimababwe? Like me saying you are like a Russian. Just cos we are both African and black does not mean we are all the same you racist pig. You have shown your true brexit mentality here.

• Like 1

WTF, what has Idi Amin got to do with me? wtf

UGANDA is 3000km from zimababwe? Like me saying you are like a Russian. Just cos we are both African and black does not mean we are all the same you racist pig. You have shown your true brexit mentality here.

I'm very sorry he offended you, Idi.

• Like 2