Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

20 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I've never heard d of a single one of these people

Mikis Theodorakis: The Sirtaki guy

22 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I've never heard d of a single one of these people

Harry Belafonte: the one who did The Banana Boat Song. It'll get stuck in your head once you hear it.

Besides the Day-Oh .. Banana Boat song, Belafonte was a very political:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Belafonte

Belafonte has been a longtime critic of U.S. foreign policy. He began making controversial political statements on this subject in the early 1980s. He has at various times made statements opposing the U.S. embargo on Cuba; praising Soviet peace initiatives; attacking the U.S. invasion of Grenada; praising the Abraham Lincoln Brigade; honoring Ethel and Julius Rosenberg and praising Fidel Castro

Belafonte achieved widespread attention for his political views in 2002 when he began making a series of comments about President George W. Bush, his administration and the Iraq War. During an interview with Ted Leitner for San Diego's 760 KFMB, in October 2002, Belafonte referred to a quote made by Malcolm X.[46] Belafonte said:

There is an old saying, in the days of slavery. There were those slaves who lived on the plantation, and there were those slaves who lived in the house. You got the privilege of living in the house if you served the master, do exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him. That gave you privilege. Colin Powell is committed to come into the house of the master, as long as he would serve the master, according to the master's purpose. And when Colin Powell dares to suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture. And you don't hear much from those who live in the pasture.

Belafonte used the quote to characterize former United States Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, both African Americans. Powell and Rice both responded, with Powell calling the remarks "unfortunate"[47] and Rice saying: "I don't need Harry Belafonte to tell me what it means to be black."[48]

220px-Harry_Belafonte_%28Berlin_Film_Fes

Harry Belafonte at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival in February 2011

The comment was brought up again in an interview with Amy Goodman for Democracy Now! in 2006.[49] In January 2006, Belafonte led a delegation of activists including actor Danny Glover and activist/professor Cornel West to meet with President of Venezuela Hugo Chávez. In 2005, Chávez, an outspoken Bush critic, initiated a program to provide cheaper heating oil for poor people in several areas of the United States. Belafonte supported this initiative.[50] He was quoted as saying, during the meeting with Chávez, "No matter what the greatest tyrant in the world, the greatest terrorist in the world, George W. Bush says, we're here to tell you: Not hundreds, not thousands, but millions of the American people support your revolution."[51] Belafonte and Glover met again with Chávez in 2006.[52] The comment ignited a great deal of controversy. Hillary Clinton refused to acknowledge Belafonte's presence at an awards ceremony that featured both of them.[53] AARP, which had just named him one of its 10 Impact Award honorees 2006, released this statement following the remarks: "AARP does not condone the manner and tone which he has chosen and finds his comments completely unacceptable."[54] During a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day speech at Duke University in 2006, Belafonte compared the American government to the hijackers of the September 11 attacks, saying: "What is the difference between that terrorist and other terrorists?" [55] In response to criticism about his remarks Belafonte asked, "What do you call Bush when the war he put us in to date has killed almost as many Americans as died on 9/11 and the number of Americans wounded in war is almost triple? [...] By most definitions Bush can be considered a terrorist." When he was asked about his expectation of criticism for his remarks on the war in Iraq, Belafonte responded: "Bring it on. Dissent is central to any democracy."[56]

Filipino shoe buyer and former First Lady Imelda Marcos. Come on, must've, must've.

Although I'll say probably 50% baffle me! And I'm not looking them up on a Sunday....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Harry Belafonte: the one who did The Banana Boat Song. It'll get stuck in your head once you hear it.

Bob Dylan used to play harmonica for Belafonte under the alias of Blind Boy Grunt. I believe that was shortly after Dylan quit playing piano for Bobby Vee. 

Having seen some of the pictures from Roger Moore's memorial (refuse to link to the Daily Mail - too close to bedtime) might keep an eye on Joan Collins for next year - she's lost a notable amount of weight in the last couple of months and is doing that layering trick with clothes peeps do to disguise how thin she's become.

• Like 1

She looks like a women in her 80s I don't see any difference. 

HNg on I'm pissed but I swear brkafonte and Marcos weren't even n that list when I posted, of course I've heard of them 

• Like 5

If no one else goes, the 18 candidates for this year that need to be dropped for 2018 should be

Pierre Cardin

Stan Lee

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe

Javier Perez De Cueller

Betty White

Queen Elizabeth

Bob Barker

Doug Ellis

Honor Blackman

David Prowse

Jerry Lewis

Sandy Gall

Pope Benedict 

Fats Domino

Hosni Mubarak 

Desmond Tutu

Gay Byrne

• Like 1

Other than his age (and pacemaker) why does Stan Lee keep showing up on the proposal list?  I see no signs of him slowing down.

5 hours ago, Szabaka said:

Other than his age (and pacemaker) why does Stan Lee keep showing up on the proposal list?  I see no signs of him slowing down.

He's too big to miss. A heart attack or stroke could take him out any day and the committee would be disappointed if they left such a big name off of the list. This is why The Queen, Betty White, Hugh Hefner, and Pope Benedict are on the list.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Szabaka said:

He's at an age where he could drop dead at any moment. He is 95 this year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Filipino shoe buyer and former First Lady Imelda Marcos. Come on, must've, must've.

Although I'll say probably 50% baffle me! And I'm not looking them up on a Sunday....

If Imelda Marcos is added, then Lucia Hiriart should be also added.  

Canadian billionaire Michael DeGroote, 83, in constant pain and with heavy dementia:

However, he's involved in a trial at the moment, so he might be faking it. The mafia is also involved.

17 hours ago, ebless said:

Pierre Cardin

Stan Lee NOPE

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe NOPE

Javier Perez De Cueller NOPE

Betty White

Queen Elizabeth NOPE 

Bob Barker

Doug Ellis

Honor Blackman

David Prowse

Jerry Lewis

Sandy Gall

Pope Benedict NOPE 

Fats Domino NOPE 

Hosni Mubarak 

Desmond Tutu NOPE 

Gay Byrne

Ah, do try again.

20 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

She looks like a women in her 80s I don't see any difference. 

They all look the same eh?

19 hours ago, ebless said:

If no one else goes, the 18 candidates for this year that need to be dropped for 2018 should be

Pierre Cardin NOPE

Stan Lee NOPE

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe NOPE 

Javier Perez De Cueller

Betty White

Queen Elizabeth NOPE

Bob Barker

Doug Ellis

Honor Blackman

David Prowse

Jerry Lewis

Sandy Gall

Pope Benedict NOPE

Fats Domino

Hosni Mubarak NOPE

Desmond Tutu

Gay Byrne

By the way. .. for next year, its too early to say, but what about... :

- Jackie Stallone

- Ozzy Osbourne 

- Mel Brooks

- Silvio Berlusconi 

- Valery Giscard d'Estaing 

- Pele 

• Like 1

More suggestions

Richard Baker

Teddy Johnson

On 11/06/2017 at 15:12, ajesh said:

Most of them are famous enough and I have no health update.

Lata Mangeshkar, Ram Narayan, Dilip Kumar, Dharmendra 

Alexey Leonov, Thich Nhat Hanh, Yusuf al Qaradawi,  Agnes Varda, Harry Belafonte, Alan Greenspan, Hans Blix, Michiko, Sirikit, Ali al Sistani, Michael Collins, Armin Mueller Stahl, Costa Gavras, Irene Papas, Mikis Theodorakis, Philip Roth, Toni Morrison, Dan Rather, Sheldon Adelson, Willie Mays, Vin Scully, Pat Robertson, Stanislav Shushkevich, Alejandro Jadorowsky, Imelda Marcos. 

FFS didn't even realise Theodorakis was still alive.

91 eh, there were political forces back in the 60s who wanted him dead - the boy's done well, then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikis_Theodorakis

Oh aye, and Ray - Moody Blues - Thomas announced inoperable (but controlled by drugs) prostate cancer in 2014

b.1941 and easily obitable

d1316d166acc44c83f7019c02660bac70f918721

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, and Ray - Moody Blues - Thomas announced inoperable (but controlled by drugs) prostate cancer in 2014

b.1941 and easily obitable

d1316d166acc44c83f7019c02660bac70f918721

Wow. Bizarre! I was in the middle of writing a suggestion for him, and then suddenly your comment popped up.

Here is an updated list of people with obitability and health issues that deserve to be included in 2018 and those that they should replace. 

Liliane Bettencourt | Mary Tyler Moore*

Johnny Hallyday | Joost VDWH*

Linda Nolan | David Rockefeller*

Toto Riina | Ian Brady*

Olivia Newton-John | John Noakes*

Norman Lloyd | Peter Sallis*

Beverly Cleary | Errol Christie*

Carl Reiner | Gay Byrne

Mary Carlisle | Desmond Tutu

Barbara Bush | Pierre Cardin

José José | Ian St. John

Sheila Mercier | David Prowse

Lucia Hiriart | Robert Mugabe

Charlotte Rae | Javier PDC

Eberhard Van Der Laan | Bob Barker

Stefán Stefánsson | Doug Ellis

Prunella Scales | Sandy Gall

George Shultz | Hugh Hefner

Christy Dignam | Jerry Lewis

Charles Manson | Fats Domino

Michae Caine | Hosni Mubarak

Abdul Halim | Jake LaMotta 

That's 22. Of course three more people will die at least, and if that happens, Mubarak, LaMotta, and St. John should stay.

• Like 2

I am absolutely against Fats Domino being dropped, and I'll tell you a story on why he shouldn't be dropped: 

Once upon a time, there was a little celebrity known as Sir Patrick Moore. He was an astronomer that got pretty famous. One day, in late December 1992, the committee decided to put Sir Patrick Moore on their list. He would return for the 1995 list, and then he came to the list for six whole years from 2005 - 2010. Then they dropped him. I think they were planning to bring him back for the 2013 list, but then, on December 7, 2012, he died. He made a total of 8 appearances on the list, yet he was never a hit for the list. Domino already made 9 appearances, it would be a much bigger disappointment to see someone who made 9 appearances, and then get dropped and die than dropping someone who is somewhat more frailer than him and only making one appearance and die. If you read the Patrick Moore thread, you can see all the rage that happened on that fateful day. 

• Like 4

I agree with your general point, Joey, but Moore was bloody massive over here, not "little known".

People say "it's a miss" all the time, but there's been three astounding Deathlist misses this century: Princess Margaret, Boris Yeltsin, and Patrick Moore. All massive, all Deathlist regulars, all missed.

• Like 1