Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

1 minute ago, msc said:

I agree with your general point, Joey, but Moore was bloody massive over here, not "little known".

I knew he was massive, I was just trying to start somewhat like a fairy tale. :D 

4 minutes ago, msc said:

People say "it's a miss" all the time, but there's been three astounding Deathlist misses this century: Princess Margaret, Boris Yeltsin, and Patrick Moore. All massive, all Deathlist regulars, all missed.

Sir Alec Guinness was on a ton of lists in the late 80/90s. He was massive, he was missed.

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Sir Alec Guinness was on a ton of lists in the late 80/90s. He was massive, he was missed.

True. He wasn't listed because I keep forgetting he wasn't a hit. This happens to a few folk. Ernest Borgnine for one, George Harrison for another.

On 11/06/2017 at 20:27, YoungWillz said:

Filipino shoe buyer and former First Lady Imelda Marcos. Come on, must've, must've.

Although I'll say probably 50% baffle me! And I'm not looking them up on a Sunday....

Imelda Marcos is an excellent choice and I believe the infamy she garnered in her era makes her very deathlisty! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Imelda Marcos is an excellent choice and I believe the infamy she garnered in her era makes her very deathlisty! 

I think she's a shoe-in for next year.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I am absolutely against Fats Domino being dropped, and I'll tell you a story on why he shouldn't be dropped: 

Once upon a time, there was a little celebrity known as Sir Patrick Moore. He was an astronomer that got pretty famous. One day, in late December 1992, the committee decided to put Sir Patrick Moore on their list. He would return for the 1995 list, and then he came to the list for six whole years from 2005 - 2010. Then they dropped him. I think they were planning to bring him back for the 2013 list, but then, on December 7, 2012, he died. He made a total of 8 appearances on the list, yet he was never a hit for the list. Domino already made 9 appearances, it would be a much bigger disappointment to see someone who made 9 appearances, and then get dropped and die than dropping someone who is somewhat more frailer than him and only making one appearance and die. If you read the Patrick Moore thread, you can see all the rage that happened on that fateful day. 

I would rather take a 90/10 risk with somebody who deserves a spot than a 90-year-old with no ailments and less than a 50% chance of croaking

1 hour ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I would rather take a 90/10 risk with somebody who deserves a spot than a 90-year-old with no ailments and less than a 50% chance of croaking

Well, he's really fat, and he could take a sudden decline in his 90th year (or earlier), ala Berry. I think your in the minority on this one...

20 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, he's really fat, and he could take a sudden decline in his 90th year (or earlier), ala Berry. I think your in the minority on this one...

A minority of people even know who Fats Domino is outside of this community. We really won't know until he finally goes.

And I wouldn't call him fat. He's always had a large figure. He was obese during his career and may have developed diabetes but he wouldn't have made it to 89 with it. If he can survive hurricane Katrina, he can survive a year being left off the list!

IMG_0712.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

FFS didn't even realise Theodorakis was still alive.

91 eh, there were political forces back in the 60s who wanted him dead - the boy's done well, then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikis_Theodorakis

iirc He has breathing issues now from being tear gassed while facing down riot police during the political events in Greece in 2011. In his mid-late 80s. Meanwhile as of May he's still able to travel to Germany.

Chap's hardcore, as they say.

13 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Wow. Bizarre! I was in the middle of writing a suggestion for him, and then suddenly your comment popped up.

Aye, the sort of cosmic co-incidence their late sixties output used to celebrate - Ray Thomas might even approve

5 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

And I wouldn't call him fat. He's always had a large figure. He was obese during his career and may have developed diabetes but he wouldn't have made it to 89 with it. If he can survive hurricane Katrina, he can survive a year being left off the list!

IMG_0712.JPG

He goes off the list, he dies. Sod's law happens, and people would be angry cause they missed another well known rocker (though not as iconic as Berry for sure). And about his how well known he is, BBC obit are guaranteed, and any music buff at least knows who he is. He was the 25th greatest artist of all time according to Rolling Stone (not that I buy that, but that mean he has some more significance than expected). And you talk about your too big to miss types, Stan Lee, for example, is one thing that I agree should return till he dies, he already made multiple on the list, has the occasional health scare, and his death would be bloody massive, but Betty White, while she definitely is massive, she has no health issues whatsoever, and she only made one appearance on the list. She wouldn't get as much anger as Domino. Again, read the Patrick Moore thread if you want to see what I'm talking about.

On 2017-6-12 at 00:17, ebless said:

If no one else goes, the 18 candidates for this year that need to be dropped for 2018 should be

Pierre Cardin

Stan Lee

Bob Dole

Robert Mugabe

Javier Perez De Cueller

Betty White

Queen Elizabeth

Bob Barker

Doug Ellis

Honor Blackman

David Prowse

Jerry Lewis

Sandy Gall

Pope Benedict 

Fats Domino

Hosni Mubarak 

Desmond Tutu

Gay Byrne

Agree with that apart from Tutu.

Grime MC Geko says he has a year to live on Twitter. 

His brother died at a young age from cancer as well, so it may not be over-the-top "look at me I'm dying" schtick.

My current 25 new and returning for 2018

Bring back

Prunella Scales

Jacques Chirac

Jimmy Greaves

Murray Walker

Tony Bennett

New

Harry Belafonte

Linda Nolan

Johnny Hallyday

Charlotte Rae

Martin Peters

Pete Murray

Colin Meads

Roger Bannister

Sheila Mercier

Stanley Baxter

Monica Vitti

Douglas Hurd

Shane McGowan

Richard O'Sullivan

Malcolm Young

Connie Sawyer

Richard Baker

Martin Peters

Terry Jones

Rolf Harris

• Like 1

Shane is a great call.Has looked dead for years.

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

He goes off the list, he dies. Sod's law happens, and people would be angry cause they missed another well known rocker (though not as iconic as Berry for sure). And about his how well known he is, BBC obit are guaranteed, and any music buff at least knows who he is. He was the 25th greatest artist of all time according to Rolling Stone (not that I buy that, but that mean he has some more significance than expected). And you talk about your too big to miss types, Stan Lee, for example, is one thing that I agree should return till he dies, he already made multiple on the list, has the occasional health scare, and his death would be bloody massive, but Betty White, while she definitely is massive, she has no health issues whatsoever, and she only made one appearance on the list. She wouldn't get as much anger as Domino. Again, read the Patrick Moore thread if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Betty White is almost infamous for being America's favorite hag. If she dies off the list, I think a lot of us will be disappointed.

Oh, and I have read the Patrick Moore thread and I didn't see much anger as there is in any thread for a big miss. Deathlist can only include 50 names and there was no major health update in 2012 that would indicate his death was upcoming. 

As for Stan Lee, he will be on the list until he dies, I agree with you on that. 

Now, I don't expect the DL will exclude him because of how paranoid we are of another Boris Yeltsin situation. 

Moore had announced he was unable to use his telescope (ie do his life's work) anymore start of 2012, and had looked increasingly frail throughout 2012. Remember he had a monthly TV spot up to the week of his death. November edition of Sky at Night, he was very limited and had the faded near death look - it was certainly mentioned on here at the time. He'd have been on the 2013 list for certain, if he'd lived.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Grime MC Geko says he has a year to live on Twitter. 

His brother died at a young age from cancer as well, so it may not be over-the-top "look at me I'm dying" schtick.

After reviewing each and every word in the tweet, how would you even have found this other than trolling #getcureforcancer....please tell me you don't troll #getcureforcancer.
SC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Moore had announced he was unable to use his telescope (ie do his life's work) anymore start of 2012, and had looked increasingly frail throughout 2012. Remember he had a monthly TV spot up to the week of his death. November edition of Sky at Night, he was very limited and had the faded near death look - it was certainly mentioned on here at the time. He'd have been on the 2013 list for certain, if he'd lived.

You can't base everything off of just looks. Kirk Douglas would be long gone if that were the case. 

7 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

You can't base everything off of just looks. Kirk Douglas would be long gone if that were the case. 

He was also unable to use the telescope as well.

9 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Also, that contradicts your reasons on why Fats shouldn't continue to be on deathlist. 

Boston Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy has cancer again  Lung cancer survivor already.  Treatment starts in two weeks.  

SC

Duplicatr post...