Joey Russ

Ideas And Possibilities For 2018

I will suggest Pau Dones... Spanish singer and artist from the "Jarabe de palo" band... he got cancer in last stage 

Helmut Kohl would've been a good pick, too bad he died today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hpresti said:

Helmut Kohl would've been a good pick, too bad he died today.

You should go here.

I placed the Helmut Kohl in another area of the forum a few hours earlier, should I have put that in this one?

Just realised we have had no British MPs on the list since Healey.An MP no matter how obscure is deathlisty as none can be said to be famous solely for being  likely to expire soon and even an insignificant backbench MP from years ago can be expected to be covered in the UK media.

16 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Just realised we have had no British MPs on the list since Healey.An MP no matter how obscure is deathlisty as none can be said to be famous solely for being  likely to expire soon and even an insignificant backbench MP from years ago can be expected to be covered in the UK media.

Dennis is likely to die in parliament, and is Deathlisty, imo.

Theres a lull as the big names aren't young enough, and no ones really jumping with excitement for Edward du Cann or Michael Jopling.

Prescott is 80 next year, mind.

On 6/17/2017 at 01:11, msc said:

Dennis is likely to die in parliament, and is Deathlisty, imo.

Theres a lull as the big names aren't young enough, and no ones really jumping with excitement for Edward du Cann or Michael Jopling.

Prescott is 80 next year, mind.

I think a fair few are as well as Prescott and Skinner.Douglas Hurd Roy Hattersley Norman Tebbit Michael Heseltine Nigel Lawson Sir John Nott Kenneth Baker Ken Clarke Glenda Jackson Shirley Williams Jill Knight Betty Boothroyd Bill Rodgers David Owen David Steel Neil Kinnock Tom King   Norman Fowler and Bryan Gould all strike me as very Deathlisty.

You can make the argument though that Edward du Cann or Michael Jopling are deathlisty as both where not just backbench MP`s but at shadow cabinet /cabinet level.They would easily get a telegraph and guardian obit even on a slow news day.Hence they have a legitimate claim to notability other than being old and their deaths are expected to be covered by UK media

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

I think a fair few are as well as Prescott and Skinner.Douglas Hurd Roy Hattersley Norman Tebbit Michael Heseltine Nigel Lawson Sir John Nott Kenneth Baker Ken Clarke Glenda Jackson Shirley Williams Jill Knight Betty Boothroyd Bill Rodgers David Owen David Steel Neil Kinnock Tom King   Norman Fowler and Bryan Gould all strike me as very Deathlisty.

You can make the argument though that Edward du Cann or Michael Jopling are deathlisty as both where not just backbench MP`s but at shadow cabinet /cabinet level.They would easily get a telegraph and guardian obit even on a slow news day.Hence they have a legitimate claim to notability other than being old and their deaths are expected to be covered by UK media

They tend to go for people with name recognition, which I'm not so sure Jopling or Du Cann have.

Lawson has been on the Deathlist before. However, I admit Hurd, Heseltine, Shirley, Boothroyd, the 2 Davids, Kinnock and your Uncle Tebbit are all Deathlist-ish names, though some are a bit young, yet.

Trouble of course is that folk are getting older. There's a huge backlog of Deathlisty names who aren't on the list because folk are living longer than they did 20 odd years ago. Ken Dodd might die without ever being on a single Deathlist.

On 6/17/2017 at 00:53, Shaun of the Dead said:

Dennis Skinner or Ken Clarke if you insist on a serving MP.

For retired MPs I'd go for Douglas Hurd, Betty Boothroyd, Peter Tapsell, Ronald Atkins, Norman Tebbit, Norman Lamont.

• Like 1

As for general deathlisty names, I think June Brown should be brought onto the list next year, possibly with Barbara Knox (who appears to have a bit of a fondness for the bottle)

• Like 1

Eileen Derbyshire Bill Treacher Leonard Fenton Sheila Mercier and Paula Tilbrook could all be good bets.

• Like 2

Really am tempted to start that Fantasy Book the Deathlist thread now, to stop Ideas (and other threads) getting clogged up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

As for general deathlisty names, I think June Brown should be brought onto the list next year, possibly with Barbara Knox (who appears to have a bit of a fondness for the bottle)

Agree on Barbara Knox but not June Brown. Bright as a button and fit as a fiddle I reckon. 

I can see June Brown lastibg a few years and Barbara Knox is still appearibg in corrie regularly and seems mobile still.She also looks a lot younger than 83.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Really am tempted to start that Fantasy Book the Deathlist thread now, to stop Ideas (and other threads) getting clogged up...

That might be a good idea actually. It's gets annoying when you look at another thread and see this pop up all over again. 

Pardon me for being relatively new to this forum, so I don't mean the shake things up, but just to make an observation:

The official list is limited to only 50.   There is a good point to that, in that if the list were composed of hundreds it would loose impact and frankly common interest.

But - 50 is a very small number.

If the list is composed to have a high hit rate, well ... it could simply be filled with those over 85, maybe 90 years old.   That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

If the list is composed of only the 'highest qualified' for impact to the world, it will have fewer hits.

Thus my proposal to keep people engaged yet not have "the list" become overwhelming:

I don't propose a list of categories (e.g.  "politicians"  "entertainment" "scientist" ... etc) although that could be a possibility, I just feel the segmentation could get overwhelming and thus dilutive.

I do propose a series of list segmented by age ranges ("over 100"  "90 - 100"  "80-90"  "under 80").

These lists should be short, but clearly only those of world renoun for whatever category they excelled in life and / or impact.

As for attempting to get the odds in favor of a win for the year, there should be some evidence of good potential that the person could expire in the next year.  Certainly those on the "over 100"  could qualify by age alone, but even those in their 90's should exhibit some evidence of weakness.  Anyone under 90 should not be judged by age alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Szabaka said:

Pardon me for being relatively new to this forum, so I don't mean the shake things up, but just to make an observation:

The official list is limited to only 50.   There is a good point to that, in that if the list were composed of hundreds it would loose impact and frankly common interest.

But - 50 is a very small number.

If the list is composed to have a high hit rate, well ... it could simply be filled with those over 85, maybe 90 years old.   That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

If the list is composed of only the 'highest qualified' for impact to the world, it will have fewer hits.

Thus my proposal to keep people engaged yet not have "the list" become overwhelming:

I don't propose a list of categories (e.g.  "politicians"  "entertainment" "scientist" ... etc) although that could be a possibility, I just feel the segmentation could get overwhelming and thus dilutive.

I do propose a series of list segmented by age ranges ("over 100"  "90 - 100"  "80-90"  "under 80").

These lists should be short, but clearly only those of world renoun for whatever category they excelled in life and / or impact.

As for attempting to get the odds in favor of a win for the year, there should be some evidence of good potential that the person could expire in the next year.  Certainly those on the "over 100"  could qualify by age alone, but even those in their 90's should exhibit some evidence of weakness.  Anyone under 90 should not be judged by age alone.

50 I think is a decent enough number.I would say for next year less old people with no serious health issues and more picks like Errol Christie and Joost van der Westhuizen.

• Like 2

The list at one point was not fixed at 50 but this makes it hard to compare years against each other.

• Like 2

Hate to say it but Timothy Spall looks dreadful.

Timothy+Spall+GAzIV6zAQpRm.jpg

• Like 3

It's Deathlist forum favourites Teddy Johnson (98) and Pearl Carr (96)!

Oh, and Vicki from Allo Allo.

DCnNL1YWAAE0JXj.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:28, earl said:

More ideas:

Anthony Hewish

Roger Bannister

Robert Venturi

Paul Bocuse

Peter Brook

Noam Chomsky

Jacques Delors

Gustavo Gutierrez

Hans Kung

Alasdair Macintyre

Karl Muller

Kung's still alive, eh

I mean - it'd be kind of funny if we put him in a race with Billy Graham

11 hours ago, msc said:

It's Deathlist forum favourites Teddy Johnson (98) and Pearl Carr (96)!

Oh, and Vicki from Allo Allo.

DCnNL1YWAAE0JXj.jpg

AWESOME, I had wondered if they'd died and done so off the radar. Surely they're a "one out all out" option for any budding dead pooler and - therefore - potential HPDP scoring dynamite.

Was Vicki there visiting an Allo Allo alum (alum)? Or perhaps one of her co-stars from the lesbian vampire film she made with Kent Walton?

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

AWESOME, I had wondered if they'd died and done so off the radar. Surely they're a "one out all out" option for any budding dead pooler and - therefore - potential HPDP scoring dynamite.

They're in Brinsworth, both of them. There was a fundraiser a day or two ago, which the photo is from.

I suspect both are in better mental shape than fellow resident Richard O'Sullivan.

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Was Vicki there visiting an Allo Allo alum (alum)? Or perhaps one of her co-stars from the lesbian vampire film she made with Kent Walton?

Brinsworth Summer Fayre Saturday, apparently.