The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

On 31/07/2017 at 15:48, Joey Russ said:

Playright and actor Sam Shepard is dead at 73.

The always eloquent Matthew McConaughey pays tribute

• Like 1

Simon Doggart, 56, was head of the Caldicott school till it emerged earlier this year that he was beating up those in his charge.  Anyhow he's dead and the name rang a bell. Turns out, @DevonDeathTrip picked him in the Deathlist Cup.

Former commodore of the HMS Raleigh and the owner of the world's largest puzzle collection, Laurie Brokenshire, died on Saturday. And now we wait. 

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Former commodore of the HMS Raleigh and the owner of the world's largest puzzle collection, Laurie Brokenshire, died on Saturday. And now we wait. 

You're going to pull this off again, aren't you?

For some reason, I have no doubts about Brokenshire obiting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

You're going to pull this off again, aren't you?

For some reason, I have no doubts about Brokenshire obiting.

He had a mail article back in 2009, I think he'll probably obit. 

Just something to think about, if all 3 Booth, Michael, and Ricketts die this year, then it's literally impossible for Spade to win...

Yes, I wonder if former Royal Navy Commodore Laurie Brokenshire, 30 year Navy man, charity fundraiser, renowned collector and foster support network organiser will get a QO....

Telegraph. 90 hours from now, at the latest.

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just something to think about, if all 3 Booth, Michael, and Ricketts die this year, then it's literally impossible for Spade to win...

Let me think.... of Spade's team, in my opinion, Bracknell, Stefansson and Elias will die this year. I'm not sure about Meads and Nevin. But Bert and DI have them as well, so they don't matter. Downie and Bracknell don't matter either.

Gilbert and Bradley definitely won't die this year, I would say. It puts Spade at 165 points (sans Meads, Nevin, Gilbert, Downie, Bradley)

With the same hits and those already in, Golden Slumbers gets to 163, so he needs one out of Ricketts, Forsyth, Michael, Nevin or Cryne. Nevin doesn't matter. But Ricketts is doing too well, reducing Bert's outs to Forsyth, Michael or Cryne. Ok - not the worst position, actually.

DI gets to 159 points. So he also needs one out of Booth, Bradley, Downie, Meads, Michael or Nevin. Against Spade, Bradley doesn't matter, neither do Downie, Meds and Nevin. Giving DI the outs of Booth and Michael. But since Bert has Michael as well, DI needs Tony Booth. Not the worst situation either. But less likely to win than Bert.

Hmm.... maybe I was a bit premature, but Spade does work his magic sometimes...

Edit: Have to analyse The Dead Cow as well, sorry... one second...

Ok, 138 points with the core people, sans Downie, James, Booth, Fujimori, Michael, Spiridonov and Campbell. Downie doesn't matter, so it's 6 outs of whom he'll need to get 28 pts (plus maybe 8-9 more in case either Meads or Nevin die - so let's see he needs to get 37 points out of 6 people). The most likely are Booth, Michael and Campbell. But Michael puts Bert at 171 and DI at 167. Then Booth, who puts DI at 176. Leaving The Dead Cow with 4 outs to get 176-138-9-8=21 pts. Campbell is 9 pts, James is 10 pts, so he needs Fujimori (or Spiridonov). The Dead Cow needs to run a clean slate.

The reason why I didn't choose him for other dead pools was because I wasn't sure how ill he actually, I am pretty confident that he will obit. 

@gcreptile Meads actually does matter to golden slumbers, he doesn't have him on his team...

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The reason why I didn't choose him for other dead pools was because I wasn't sure how ill he actually, I am pretty confident that he will obit. 

@gcreptile Meads actually does matter to golden slumbers, he doesn't have him on his team...

True! So if Meads dies, then Bert needs 2 out of Forsyth, Michael or Cryne.... That's a 50:50 chance I'd say. But I don't know how badly Cryne is doing.

Edit: And with Meads, DI wins with either Booth, or Michael, or both. So the DI vs Bert situation is kind of a Cryne vs. Booth duel (though there is a less likely, but possible second way to win for Bert via Forsyth).

At this point the amount of overlap between Spade and I is more a curse than a blessing, given I have two of his three weakest picks in Bradley and Nevin, who I both think will survive. Had I picked a bit differently and had some more wriggle room I'd feel more confident in my chances, but one always says these things in hindsight... as it stands, I need Booth.

Brokenshire for me was a longlist name I discarded pretty early on as I couldn't figure out his obit chances, but when Spade gave his rationale for picking him it was one of those "oh, of course he'll obit" hindsight moments. Now I know that military grit and the Telegraph go hand in hand and don't think his obit will be a worry. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out who gets AP obits and the like but I still need to fine tune my broadsheet-fu a bit.

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

What if Greg Gilbert goes in a car crash or on Christmas...

(hey, you said literally impossible, not extremely unlikely :P)

6 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

What if Greg Gilbert goes in a car crash or on Christmas...

(hey, you said literally impossible, not extremely unlikely :P)

Oh, don't remind me. :P 

The thing that put me over the edge on picking Brokenshire was the fact the TimesChess Twitter account tweeted a picture of him a few years ago, at the very worst I expect him to get a mentiion in a chess column at some point.

Mexican cartoonist Ruis who created "Marx for Beginners" in 1976, has died aged 83. No English language links as yet...

• Thanks 1

Oh, I honestly thought he'd died already.

Just saw a FB link reporting death of Harou Nakajima - who wore the monster suit in the original Godzilla movie

Edit that - this is a day old and even The Guardian gave him a decent obit: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/08/haruo-nakajima-actor-who-played-the-original-godzilla-dies-aged-88

So, it's been mentioned here already, right?

19 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Just saw a FB link reporting death of Harou Nakajima - who wore the monster suit in the original Godzilla movie

Edit that - this is a day old and even The Guardian gave him a decent obit: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/08/haruo-nakajima-actor-who-played-the-original-godzilla-dies-aged-88

So, it's been mentioned here already, right?

Yep, Toho Stars thread.