The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

For anyone who doesn't know who I'm talking, it's Doug Murcott, former junior All Black. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had him on the shortlist had he made it to 2018, and you can see why it was odd for him not to get a forum mention, at the very least, which makes me wonder if there was any chance of him being unique for me if he made the starting line...

I had him as a "consider for the Deathrace if he gets that far" type name. That he got a Mail obit took me by surprise as he was a low level player, I don't think it would have happened were it not for him marrying on his deathbed days before (because of course the Mail covers that).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40931644

I always think of the film Final Destination when I read a story like this......

Got stabbed whilst saving Jo Cox but dies now - as the film says "death always gets you in the end"

24 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40931644

I always think of the film Final Destination when I read a story like this......

Got stabbed whilst saving Jo Cox but dies now - as the film says "death always gets you in the end"

Sad to hear that.Great man.Brave and humble.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, msc said:

Really good actor, he's in a Peel/Steed Avengers episode called Murdersville. Also Elizabeth R, A Woman Sobbing,  and Yes Prime Minister. Oh, and Sugar and Spice, an episode of Shadows of Fear, in which he plays a dad, who comes home drunk to find his youngest child missing, and his daughter telling her mum that she "promised daddy" she wouldn't say what happened to him... Creepy 70s horror, no supernatural element in sight. Recommended heavily.

See, I can talk up character actors even if they didn't appear in Dr Who. :lol:

Best known for Not in Front of the Children though. Interesting re that estate - pricey part of the world and he clearly had a few bob.

Roy Lunn, the AMC/Jeep Cherokee's chief engineer (the first modern SUV, launched in 1983), died in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Aug. 5 at age 92.
SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Roy Lunn, the AMC/Jeep Cherokee's chief engineer (the first modern SUV, launched in 1983), died in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Aug. 5 at age 92.
SC

Like fuck it was.

Designed by Spen King and launched in 1970.

A small Island inhabited by clever bastards.

r-pr-01-300.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Like fuck it was.

Designed by Spen King and launched in 1970.

A small Island inhabited by clever bastards.

r-pr-01-300.jpg

I know you're all up in it with the nationalistic jingoism....and though I claim no knowledge on the matter, I'll allow you to argue with the following:

Early SUVs were descendants from commercial and military vehicles such as the World War II Jeep[14] and Land Rover.[15]

The earliest examples of longer-wheelbase wagon-type cars were the Chevrolet Carryall Suburban (1935, RWD only), GAZ-61 (1938, 4×4), Willys Jeep Station Wagon (1948), Pobeda M-72 (GAZ-M20/1955), which Russian references credit as possibly being the first modern SUV (with unitary body rather than body-on-frame), International Harvester Travelall (1953), Land Rover Series II 109 (1958), and the International Harvester Scout 80 (1961). These were followed by the more 'modern' Jeep Wagoneer (1963), International Harvester Scout II (1971), Ford Bronco (1966), Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-55 (1968), the Chevrolet Blazer / GMC Jimmy (1969), and the Land Rover Range Rover (1970). The actual term "sport utility vehicle" did not come into wide popular usage until the late 1980s; many of these vehicles were marketed during their era as station wagons.

According to Robert Casey, the transportation curator at the Henry Ford Museum, the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was the first true sport utility vehicle in the modern understanding of the term.[16] Developed under the leadership of AMC's François Castaing and marketed to urban families as a substitute for a traditional car (and especially station wagons, which were still fairly popular at the time), the Cherokee had four-wheel drive in a more manageable size (compared to the full-size Wagoneer), as well as a plush interior resembling a station wagon.[16] With the introduction of more luxurious models and a much more powerful 4-liter engine, sales of the Cherokee increased even higher as the price of gasoline fell, and the term "sport utility vehicle" began to be used in the national press for the first time.[16] "The advent and immediate success of AMC/Jeep's compact four-door Cherokee turned the truck industry upside down."[17]

SC

https://books.google.com/books?id=4YaB2nQXEj8C

Hearing from an acquaintance of mine that Anna Raccoon has died.He was a friend of hers so would bet money on it being true.

1 hour ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Hearing from an acquaintance of mine that Anna Raccoon has died.He was a friend of hers so would bet money on it being true.

Mail on Sunday writer tweets it.

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I know you're all up in it with the nationalistic jingoism....and though I claim no knowledge on the matter, I'll allow you to argue with the following:

Early SUVs were descendants from commercial and military vehicles such as the World War II Jeep[14] and Land Rover.[15]

The earliest examples of longer-wheelbase wagon-type cars were the Chevrolet Carryall Suburban (1935, RWD only), GAZ-61 (1938, 4×4), Willys Jeep Station Wagon (1948), Pobeda M-72 (GAZ-M20/1955), which Russian references credit as possibly being the first modern SUV (with unitary body rather than body-on-frame), International Harvester Travelall (1953), Land Rover Series II 109 (1958), and the International Harvester Scout 80 (1961). These were followed by the more 'modern' Jeep Wagoneer (1963), International Harvester Scout II (1971), Ford Bronco (1966), Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-55 (1968), the Chevrolet Blazer / GMC Jimmy (1969), and the Land Rover Range Rover (1970). The actual term "sport utility vehicle" did not come into wide popular usage until the late 1980s; many of these vehicles were marketed during their era as station wagons.

According to Robert Casey, the transportation curator at the Henry Ford Museum, the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) was the first true sport utility vehicle in the modern understanding of the term.[16] Developed under the leadership of AMC's François Castaing and marketed to urban families as a substitute for a traditional car (and especially station wagons, which were still fairly popular at the time), the Cherokee had four-wheel drive in a more manageable size (compared to the full-size Wagoneer), as well as a plush interior resembling a station wagon.[16] With the introduction of more luxurious models and a much more powerful 4-liter engine, sales of the Cherokee increased even higher as the price of gasoline fell, and the term "sport utility vehicle" began to be used in the national press for the first time.[16] "The advent and immediate success of AMC/Jeep's compact four-door Cherokee turned the truck industry upside down."[17]

SC

https://books.google.com/books?id=4YaB2nQXEj8C

You used the term 'modern SUV' and the Range Rover predates the  Jeep Cherokee XJ.

The Range Rover was developed to suit the farmer who wanted to trailer a herd of sheep off of a field in the morning and attend a wedding in the evening.

The early Range Rover had rubber floor mats ( no carpets) and vinyl seats to allow them to be hosed down, eliminating pig shit and sheep saliva etc.

On that basis, the Range Rover was the first TRUE SUV, however, back in 1970, they didn't use poncey words to sell lifestyle choice vehicles.

Incidentally, the Land Rover was developed by by engineer Maurice Wilks who saw a gap in the market after marvelling at the old WW2 Jeep he was using on his farm.

You COULD say that the early Land Rover Station wagon model even predates the Range Rover, as they were spartan but designed to be work and leisure vehicles.

To wit, the Range Rover was, probably, the first serious SUV as it combined extreme comfort normally found in hugely expensive cars with the durability, strength and work horse capabilities of its sister Land Rover, Jeep and anything that went across the desert on tracks ( Citroen) in the 1920s and the like or summat etc etc.

I didn't even need to look that all up.

• Like 3

Sir Bruce Forsyth: TV legend dies aged 89

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, runebomme said:

:clivedunn:

• Thanks 1

Is this for record keeping purposes?!!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, runebomme said:

Jesus the font you used is almost as big as your dick tune it down.

• Haha 4
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

it's good to know what you think about

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Font You!

I see Welsh actor Robin Griffith has died. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgolwg360.cymru%2Fnewyddion%2Fcymru%2F273441-marwr-actor-robin-griffith-llais-blodyn-tatws&edit-text

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341591/

I noticed he was in the 90s adaptation of Five Go To Billycock Hill (Famous Five), so I decided to watch it. Contains appearances by Trevor Peacock and Colin Baker. But it was even more worth it for the noticeable innocence of lines such as "pitching tents", Dick being "stiff" exploring "Georgina's cave" and also Dick mounting the baddie at the end. Jason Connery plays an airman who gets rather friendly with George too. Worth a watch.

15 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Sonny Landham (IMDb), American actor and stuntman featuring in films such as Predator and 48 Hrs.has died aged 76.

Edit: Daily Mail, The Sun obituaries.

Bullshit. He was afraid of no disease.

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

:clivedunn:

It'd be nice if that Clive Dunn icon could be added to the "reaction repertoir" (perhaps replacing the little used crying emoticon) so that we wouldn't have to waste a whole post to mark really daft contributions like the one you quoted.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Sonny Landham (IMDb), American actor and stuntman featuring in films such as Predator and 48 Hrs.has died aged 76.

Edit: Daily Mail, The Sun obituaries.

Sonny Landham and Sonny Burgess on the same day!   
That may not happen again ... ever

Was I the only one who noticed?  See...it's that kind of impertinent detail that rests in my noggin.
SC

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Was I the only one who noticed?  See...it's that kind of impertinent detail that rests in my noggin.
SC

Shame you don't get anything for a pair.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

You weren't the only one who noticed. It's also intriguing that Sonny West and Sonny Randle also Cher (:tomatododge:) the same death date, so not exactly unprecedented.

5 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

You weren't the only one who noticed. It's also intriguing that Sonny West and Sonny Randle also Cher (:tomatododge:) the same death date, so not exactly unprecedented.

Good call except they were a day apart.  Still, excellent observation!

SC

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Good call except they were a day apart.  Still, excellent observation!

SC

Hmm, Google says Randle died on the 23rd of May but Wikipedia says he died on the 24th and indeed this article says he died on a Wednesday which implies the 24th, the same day as Sonny West's death.

Edit: In fact, Landham and Burgess were a day apart dying on the 17th and 18th respectively.

• Like 1