The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

Just now, Sir Creep said:

There is even a math problem or theory I guess named after him.

:clivedunn:

Dave Strader, longtime sportscaster and play-by-play announcer for the Dallas Stars, has died aged 62. He won the 2017 Foster Hewitt Memorial Award from the Hockey Hall of Fame for his contributions to play-by-play broadcasting of ice hockey.

11 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Dave Strader, longtime sportscaster and play-by-play announcer for the Dallas Stars, has died aged 62. He won the 2017 Foster Hewitt Memorial Award from the Hockey Hall of Fame for his contributions to play-by-play broadcasting of ice hockey.

Not picked by me on obit worries.

Though I did check up on him a few days ago, and his last interview he seemed fairly upbeat too.

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Not picked by me on obit worries.

Though I did check up on him a few days ago, and his last interview he seemed fairly upbeat too.

I'd be surprised if he obits, but even more unlikely people have managed to gain one, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

But yeah, pretty surprised - I think they were dedicating something to him during the first game of the season or some such thing, so I don't think this was expected by any means (given value of unexpected when talking about someone with cancer, of course).

11 minutes ago, RishCast said:

I'd be surprised if he obits, but even more unlikely people have managed to gain one, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Daily Mail obit.

Hit for me in the Poker Tournament and the Windy City DP.

I always assumed Strader would've gotten a Mail obit. His diagnosis got a Mail article too IIRC.

Mind, still didn't pick him on the DDP, as there's only room for 20 names and frankly, he wasn't exciting enough to warrant picking over the other sixty somethings who made the cut! (he would have been unique, however)

38 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I always assumed Strader would've gotten a Mail obit. His diagnosis got a Mail article too IIRC.

Mind, still didn't pick him on the DDP, as there's only room for 20 names and frankly, he wasn't exciting enough to warrant picking over the other sixty somethings who made the cut! (he would have been unique, however)

To be fair I'm always surprised when a cancer mum type obits, so maybe I underestimate how desperate some papers are for material.

I do think he was picked in a couple other pools, though not the DDP.

He was on my short list for a week because when he received the award (last week) he looked almost dead. 

3 hours ago, RishCast said:

RIP.  He was a solid TV sportscaster. 
Not sure where your info is coming from, he was the longtime announcer for the Detroit Red Wings.  From 1979 to 1996 (if we include his announcing Detroit's minor league affiliate).  He announced one season (2015-2016) for the Dallas Stars.  
SC

35 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

RIP.  He was a solid TV sportscaster. 
Not sure where your info is coming from, he was the longtime announcer for the Detroit Red Wings.  From 1979 to 1996 (if we include his announcing Detroit's minor league affiliate).  He announced one season (2015-2016) for the Dallas Stars.  
SC

Yeah, I called him the Stars' announcer because that was the last team he was with before he left to deal with his cancer.

19 hours ago, RishCast said:

Yeah, I called him the Stars' announcer because that was the last team he was with before he left to deal with his cancer.

I feel ya.  I guess 'longtime' was a bit of a misplaced modifier and inferred his 'long time' was spent with the Stars.  Just clearing that up.
SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

I feel ya.  I guess 'longtime' was a bit of a misplaced modifier and inferred his 'long time' was spent with the Stars.  Just clearing that up.
SC

Ah makes sense - what I wanted to say was he was a longtime sportscaster, and also the announcer for the Stars at the time of his death (he returned for a couple of games when he could in 16-17, so I count him as active-ish), but I can see where that might have been confusing!

1 hour ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Michel Jouvet, the biologist credited with the discovery of paradoxical sleep, dies at 91.

Did he die in his sleep?

• Haha 1

Tim Quill (IMDb), an American actor who has appeared in TV shows such as ERCSI: Miami and Scandal, as well as movies including Hamburger HillHiding Out and Argo, has died aged 54 following a battle with cancer.

William Tepper (IMDb), an American actor who appeared in TV shows such as Kojak and Ironside, as well as starring in the movie Drive, He Said has died aged 69.

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Comedian Ralphie May dead at 45, he was suffering from pneumonia for a few weeks and ultimately died from a cardiac arrest.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/06/ralphie-may-dead/

I have to confess to never having heard of him, but having now seen a picture, the phrase “Heart attack waiting to happen” immediately springs to mind.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MadMac said:

I have to confess to never having heard of him, but having now seen a picture, the phrase “Heart attack waiting to happen” immediately springs to mind.

Had the same thought honestly, and was surprised when initially they reported that he had died from the pneumonia as oppose to the other thing.

6 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Comedian Ralphie May dead at 45, he was suffering from pneumonia for a few weeks and ultimately died from a cardiac arrest.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/06/ralphie-may-dead/

Only knew him from the speculation that he would run for TN Senate in 2018. Scary thought.

I've been asking my Yank friends why I should have ever heard of this fat ass. 
John Pinette has a friend at heaven's dinner table. "You bean here foe owah, you got to go!  You big man, why you eat meat? You eat vegetable."
SC