weatherman90

Bob Barker

48 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The latter in my opinion.  Good find @Ulitzer95

I second that.  There's a good chance he's at death's door.

• Like 1

Well, it depends how it was written.

1)It could be one of those prewritten obits which get published by mistake. In that case the indication about place, hour and eventually cause of death would be very sketchy or absent.

2)A Bob Barker over 90 died last week. It would be very nobbish for TMZ to fall for such a thing but...

3)Someone, usually reliable, may have informed TMZ about Bob Barker's death, likely basing himself on that obit or other voices. Or maybe not.

4)Bob Barker is in hospital and very near to death (not uncommon for a 98-year old in frail health) and TMZ only jumped the gun, or is searching for robust evidence.

We will see.

As a fourth-estater myself, if it was a pre-written obituary it would have a line in it reading something like "Legendary quiz show host Bob Barker has died TKTKTK aged TKTKTK". "TKTKTK" being the usual code for "needs replacing when confirmed". Which leads me to believe it was a freshly written news story published incorrectly, presumably because Bob's on his last legs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have a screenshot of the article?

Am inclined to think that the link was just a troll link that was never actually on TMZ, rather than an actual TMZ mispost.

The URL was https://www.tmz.com/bob_barker_gameshow/host.dead97.html 

and TMZ links are never structured like this. They typically use dashes for their spaces, rather than underscores or periods. They also wouldn't use a slash inbetween "gameshow" and "host" as that would indicate a subpage of a "bob_barker_gameshow" folder rather than a space. They also tend not to have "html" at the end. An actual Barker TMZ death URL would look more like https://www.tmz.com/bob-barker-gameshow-host-dead-97/

Additionally, Barker's such a big name in the US that if TMZ really did post this, even if only for a few minutes, you'd surely see some sort of Twitter chatter about it. But a Twitter search for "Bob Barker TMZ" brings up nothing since February 4.

Mind Barker dying in the near future would not surprise at all given his age and general quietness, but I don't think this alleged TMZ report carries any meaning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Am inclined to think that the link was just a troll link that was never actually on TMZ, rather than an actual TMZ mispost.

The URL was https://www.tmz.com/bob_barker_gameshow/host.dead97.html 

and TMZ links are never structured like this. They typically use dashes for their spaces, rather than underscores or periods. They also wouldn't use a slash inbetween "gameshow" and "host" as that would indicate a subpage of a "bob_barker_gameshow" folder rather than a space. They also tend not to have "html" at the end. An actual Barker TMZ death URL would look more like https://www.tmz.com/bob-barker-gameshow-host-dead-97/

Additionally, Barker's such a big name in the US that if TMZ really did post this, even if only for a few minutes, you'd surely see some sort of Twitter chatter about it. But a Twitter search for "Bob Barker TMZ" brings up nothing since February 4.

Mind Barker dying in the near future would not surprise at all given his age and general quietness, but I don't think this alleged TMZ report carries any meaning.

You're probably right.

It was on the Voy noticeboard, and there were several people discussing it, which made it seem legit. Then by the time I clicked on it, it was a 404 message coming up. 

URL structuring is tricky though. Often links can have multiple urls which take them to the same place, and there can be different structures used for drafts etc.

Anyways, not dead... yet.

1 hour ago, Deathtreat23 said:

But going onto keep an eye status anyway since i'm guessing it may not be long now.

Bob Barker, come on down :old:

1 minute ago, N. Fritz said:

Probably a false alarm triggered by Robert Barker's death in Peoria. Date of birth similar

Probably. Keep an eye on it though, always possible (especially at his age)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

Probably a false alarm triggered by Robert Barker's death in Peoria. Date of birth similar

:clivedunn: 6 posts above yours

• Thanks 1

I think Bob is a lock for this year for sure. Maybe the next to die.

• Facepalm 2

I wouldn't completely trust Closer Weekly, but here's an article from August, interview of Nancy Burnet of United Activists for Animal Rights who is his "girlfriend"

“He’s doing pretty well … he’s happy, he’s engaged. He’s just doing remarkably well for almost 99 years of age,” Nancy, 79, gushes about her longtime partner, noting that he’s “a little bit forgetful” but that “comes with the territory.”

“A lot of people at that age are very gaunt, frail. He isn’t at all, he’s very sturdy,” she notes. “His weight is good, he’s strong and he has this meal replacement in addition to his regular meals because [it’s] just the way he gets everything.”

• Like 4

Just wanted to point out, the last two major 1923 celebrities to depart us were Bob Dole and Chuck Yeager, who passed dec. 5, 2021 and dec. 7 2020 respectively. Could the first week of December 2022 provide us with another 1923 hit? If so, I doubt it would be Kissinger.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, dimreaper said:

Just wanted to point out, the last two major 1923 celebrities to depart us were Bob Dole and Chuck Yeager, who passed dec. 5, 2021 and dec. 7 2020 respectively. Could the first week of December 2022 provide us with another 1923 hit? If so, I doubt it would be Kissinger.

D'ya think there comes a point when the thought of more Jumpers and box sets for Christmas just drives them into a depression so bad they give up the will to live.

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

D'ya think there comes a point when the thought of more Jumpers and box sets for Christmas just drives them into a depression so bad they give up the will to live.

It's a World Cup tradition for a game to be disturbed by news of a DL hit.

I say tradition, it happened in 2014 and 2018, so that's twice in 30 odd years...

Actually, looking it up - Carrington in 2018 and Kasem in 2014 I knew. But in 2006, Charles Haughey was announced dead just before South Korea/Togo took the field. In 1998, that Tommy Boyd own goal in Scotland/Brazil was too much for Catherine Cookson, and Roy Rogers died the same day as France/Croatia in the semifinals. Kim-il Sung died in between the last sixteen and the quarterfinals in 1994 - rumours I made up abound he was just too excited for Holland/Brazil. 

So 5 World Cups out of 8, a DL tradition then.

I love coincidences. :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, msc said:

Actually, looking it up - Carrington in 2018 and Kasem in 2014 I knew. But in 2006, Charles Haughey was announced dead just before South Korea/Togo took the field. In 1998, that Tommy Boyd own goal in Scotland/Brazil was too much for Catherine Cookson, and Roy Rogers died the same day as France/Croatia in the semifinals. Kim-il Sung died in between the last sixteen and the quarterfinals in 1994 - rumours I made up abound he was just too excited for Holland/Brazil. 

So 5 World Cups out of 8, a DL tradition then.

I love coincidences. :D

And in 2002 and 2010 hits occurred just before the World Cup while teams were already training, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I imagine ole Bob does somewhat better than that in his stocking 

• Like 2

99 and just a few post in his thread in 2022. Boring pick or suspect lack of news about him ? Anyway, I think he can do a Betty White and die just before his 100th birthday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

99 and just a few post in his thread in 2022. Boring pick or suspect lack of news about him ? Anyway, I think he can do a Betty White and die just before his 100th birthday. 

Or in the last few hours of 2022 on New Years Eve.

• Like 2