weatherman90

Bob Barker

In my point of view a good pick für DL.

Jawohl, mein führe... Oops, I mean, I thought you'd at least complain about the lack of German folks (or should I say Völker? the Austrians and the Swiss are missing as well), their only candidate on the list seems to be the Pope Emeritus and even he is a Vatican citizen (although at least he was affiliated with the Hitlerjugend).

So many missed opportunities... (e.g. Kohl or Habermas etc.)

Habermas wird in diesem jahr nicht sterben. Er verdient es nicht auf der Liste zu sein.

Ich bin anderer Ansicht.

Ich bin anderer Ansicht

• Like 2

I don't know who he is.

The only thing I know about him (apart from being a gameshow host) is that bit in the Shrek movie where Puss had a hairball and Donkey said: "Let's give him the Bob Barker treatment." Even now I still don't know what that means.

Neutering joke. Barker here in the US is known both for TPIR and his animal rights activism, and a big part of the latter is advocation for spaying/neutering of pets.

Sounds like when he dies dogs and cats will join hands in celebration.

Dog Weekly, 14 April 2017

Latest news: BARKER DIES, BARKERS CELEBRATE - "No more neutering," chairman of the Dogs Rights Association Mr. Fido M. Woofey states.

• Like 1

One of the things I really like about the Deathlist is there's always a few names I've never heard of or know very little about.

It prompts me to Google them and find out more which is always interesting to me. Bob Barker was somebody I knew nothing about and boy was he an interesting read!

Lots of gossip stuff and salacious allegations and titbits about this guy!

I always enjoy learning more about all fifty people on the list that it's publication nudges me into doing but I found Bob Barker especially interesting!

• Like 1

I gather Bob Barker was akin to an American version of Bob Monkhouse, but I knew him best (only) for a series of WWE appearances over the years. Cultural references, they sneak up on you.

I won't be surprised if he had a set of dog Dicks which uses for pleasure.

Jawohl, mein führe... Oops, I mean, I thought you'd at least complain about the lack of German folks (or should I say Völker? the Austrians and the Swiss are missing as well), their only candidate on the list seems to be the Pope Emeritus and even he is a Vatican citizen (although at least he was affiliated with the Hitlerjugend).

@Gossip Gape: Attached the 50 Deathlist-People sorted by origin (percentage), here you can see what I meant before

42% from UK

40% from USA incl. 1 from Canada

8% from Africa (Tutu, Mugabe, Mubarak and van der Westhuizen)

4% from EU (Cardin, King Michael)

2% from South America (Perez)

2% from Asia (Akihito)

2% Rest (Pope from Vatikan)

82% are only from UK and USA. This is everything else than a worldwide cross-section. Or do the DL-comittee really believe that most of prominent figures exist only in UK and US?

Only 4% from EU, this is embarassing, not only cause I am living in EU, but EU contains at least as many prominent people as the USA. Maybe DL-comittee are brexit-supporters, who knows, that would explain all.

Ok, enough criticism. maybe they can try to improve this next year....

• Like 2

Surely Soares could have been included. And then Asian/African political leaders might gain spots in DL, but this is just too much to ask. I mean, we already had Bhumibol last year and Akihito this year; I don't expect to see Yasuhiro Nakasone, Le Duc Anh, Nuon Chea, Khieu Sampan or Do Muoi included but they are all important historical figures. Surely more than Sandy Gall or Lester Piggott. Same things could be said about European leaders (I cited Soares, but Mitsotakis, Napolitano, Forlani, Delors, Hans Modrow, Gorbachev are all right examples) and African (Arap moi, Kaunda, Woldegiorgis). But Deathlist is an English site and it's its right to be mostly about England. When there will be an European DL I'm sure European leaders will be included as well.

I gather Bob Barker was akin to an American version of Bob Monkhouse, but I knew him best (only) for a series of WWE appearances over the years. Cultural references, they sneak up on you.

I also knew of him from the WWE. He was one of the few ' guest hosts ' that actually worked and made the show better.

I know Bob Barker because of the one scene in happy Gilmore. I know its a Adam Sandler film but its still very funny.

Oh I forgot he was in Happy Gilmore. You're right, that is a really good film, even with Adam Sandler in it.

• Like 1

Who's Adam Sandler?

Who's Adam Sandler?

A stupid comedian. Next question...

• Like 1

Who's Adam Sandler?

Overrated "comic" actor.

• Like 3

@Gossip Gape: Attached the 50 Deathlist-People sorted by origin (percentage), here you can see what I meant before

42% from UK

40% from USA incl. 1 from Canada

8% from Africa (Tutu, Mugabe, Mubarak and van der Westhuizen)

4% from EU (Cardin, King Michael)

2% from South America (Perez)

2% from Asia (Akihito)

2% Rest (Pope from Vatikan)

82% are only from UK and USA. This is everything else than a worldwide cross-section. Or do the DL-comittee really believe that most of prominent figures exist only in UK and US?

Only 4% from EU, this is embarassing, not only cause I am living in EU, but EU contains at least as many prominent people as the USA. Maybe DL-comittee are brexit-supporters, who knows, that would explain all.

Ok, enough criticism. maybe they can try to improve this next year....

Note that there's a bit of an overlap when it comes to Olivia de Havilland. Think of her as an item that was assembled in Asia entirely out of English components, then swiftly exported for the usage of consumption-crazed Americans at its best shape.

Of course, as time passed, the product got worn out to the extent that it eventually has ended up in a French antique shop where it's now being cherised by cultured Europeans for its historical value.

So, we get the following four-in-one in Olivia:

1) Asia (place of birth)

2) UK (ethnicity)

3) USA (naturalized citizen)

4) EU (place of residence)

• Like 4

Just saw an ET interview of him, looked very healthy. Going to make 2018.

How did you know who was who?

How did you know who was who?

It was probably an interview with Kermit the Frog or something...
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Had a "nasty fall".

Oops. I must've jinxed him. :D 

I didn't know ER was still on the air 

1 minute ago, JR976evil said:

I didn't know ER was still on the air 

It's not. They just announced that he was in all the episodes in a hidden way so you couldn't tell. 

Bob Barker is OK after fall.

• Like 1