Grim Reaper

Nobby Stiles

Said he would be on it.

He's been battling prostate cancer and Alzheimer's for years now (as you probably already know), surprised he's not among top 10.

He was "gravely ill" in November 2015 but has hung in there. I dropped him from my DDP team for 2017, thus all but guaranteeing a successful hit here.

Health history:

June 2002:Suffers heart attack

2010:Suffers stroke.Is off the after dinner circuit for some time.

2012:Diagnosed with dementia

2013:Diagnosed with prostate cancer

2015:Said to be very ill in hospital

2016:Son says he is very very poorly with advanced alzheimers and prostate cancer.

He was "gravely ill" in November 2015 but has hung in there. I dropped him from my DDP team for 2017, thus all but guaranteeing a successful hit here.

Prostate cancer isn't as bad as it sounds someone I work with has had it for 4 years now. They go back and have regular check ups to see if its advancing or growing if so they then remove prostate. So its far from a death sentence.

I suspect it was more the strokes and advanced dementia that led to the gravely ill reports (British newspaper euphemism for "dying shortly"), but then, there's many shades of prostate cancer, and hypothetically speaking, Stage IV can kill you just as easily as more virulent cancers.

Around July when the press did the usual - whatever happened to - round up of the World Cup winners Stiles was reckoned to be very ill then. Though Martin Peters - apparently - was in the worst condition of the nine left alive.

I have a feeling Nobby won't be dancing for much longer

I suspect it was more the strokes and advanced dementia that led to the gravely ill reports (British newspaper euphemism for "dying shortly"), but then, there's many shades of prostate cancer, and hypothetically speaking, Stage IV can kill you just as easily as more virulent cancers.

It was his son who described him as very very poorly and hinted that he had lost pretty much all of his memory and that the prostate cancer treatment had only been relatively successful.I am assuming that he wont get chemo or radiotherapy if he is so mentally frail.

Around July when the press did the usual - whatever happened to - round up of the World Cup winners Stiles was reckoned to be very ill then. Though Martin Peters - apparently - was in the worst condition of the nine left alive.

Peters was still fit enough to attend the Celebration Dinner, whereas our Nobby - my nap of 2017 - was nowhere to be seen.

Peters was still fit enough to attend the Celebration Dinner, whereas our Nobby - my nap of 2017 - was nowhere to be seen.

Aye, but going down fast according to his daughter just before that dinner - he can't even remember her name: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/knight-1966-world-cup-legends-7725215

• Like 1

I thought Peters was pulled out of all the 50th anniversairy events as were Stiles Wilson Greaves and Bonetti?

Oh and I read on a forum the other day that Roger Hunt is also suffering from dementia.

I thought Peters was pulled out of all the 50th anniversairy events as were Stiles Wilson Greaves and Bonetti?

Oops...I stand corrected. Peters attended the gala final WHU match at Upton Park a few weeks earlier.

Bonetti is a surprise...much younger than the others and never headed the ball.

Oops...I stand corrected. Peters attended the gala final WHU match at Upton Park a few weeks earlier.

It's not the ball keepers need to worry about hence Petr Cech's choice of head garment.

220px-Cech_-_2015_Emirates_Cup.jpg

Knighting the whole group of survivors would be fairly easy then. Those lacking a knighthood and having their marbles (Banks) get a gong and it'd probably be easier all round if the others got a big gong made of chocolate.

• Like 1

Bonetti was said to have advanced Alzheimer`s last summer.

Of the greatest importance is the obvious issue we 'Cockneys' will face when Nobby finally goes.

He will leave a huge void in the rhyming slang dictionary.

Of the greatest importance is the obvious issue we 'Cockneys' will face when Nobby finally goes.

Thought it was Samuel Smiles, or are you referring to Danny Dyer's mockney?

Not while we still have Jeremy ...

• Like 1

I've seen Bonetti in the last couple of months and he looked reasonably well. a long shot for 2017 I'd say

I've seen Bonetti in the last couple of months and he looked reasonably well. a long shot for 2017 I'd say

Last I read he was in hospital.Pleased to hear the guy is hanging on in there.

Here is a recent article for anyone interested.

Was an interesting piece indeed.

It seems like prostate cancer, what I thought was his worst problem, is probably much less concerning for his family than his dementia.

It could be heart wrenching and incredibly difficult for them to deal with this situation, however, it does not necessarily mean that he's likely to meet his maker in the near future.

As long as he's not neglected, his condition might be managable in the short run, though their quality of life would obviously be affected.

If you didn't know whether anything could be worse than an agonizing cancer then you could probably learn a lot from his case.

• Like 1