Grim Reaper

Nobby Stiles

I’m actually surprised by his death. Not because I didn’t think he would die soon, but more of how long he ended up lasting. RIP to a good one. 

Just got a BBC text alert he's died.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Just got a BBC text alert he's died.

One of those sporting figures who get Both a BBC News and a BBC Sport alert - only really the Boys of 1966 and a few others get that treatment.

RIP- Cant be too many WC winners left now. My 18th hit, personal record!

• Like 1

Sad news as a United fan loved Nobby for what he achieved at the club not only for his playing career were he won league and European Cup for the club but also for helping produce the class of 92 of Beckham, Giggs and Scholes to name but a few who dominated the domestic game and won in Europe too as well of course of winning the World Cup in 66 all while been as blind as a bat. Also a death list legend he seemed to linger on forever amazed he lasted for so long considering his health. RIP.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

RIP- Cant be too many WC winners left now. My 18th hit, personal record!

9 of the squad left. 4 of whom started the final

George Cohen

Bobby Charlton

Jimmy Greaves 

Geoff Hurst 

Roger Hunt

Ron Flowers

Terry Paine

Ian Callaghan 

George Eastham 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

9 of the squad left. 4 of whom started the final

George Cohen

Bobby Charlton

Jimmy Greaves 

Geoff Hurst 

Roger Hunt

Ron Flowers

Terry Paine

Ian Callaghan 

George Eastham 

Aye, and for anyone lacking an anorak I've put the final players in bold - the starting XI all played the full 120 mins, Sir Alf brought on no talent from the bench despite extra time.

He seemed ethernal. Greaves is sadly overdue.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, and for anyone lacking an anorak I've put the final players in bold - the starting XI all played the full 120 mins, Sir Alf brought on no talent from the bench despite extra time.

Probably because they weren't allowed until the 1970 competition, which is just as well as we remember how that worked out!

2 minutes ago, time said:

Probably because they weren't allowed until the 1970 competition, which is just as well as we remember how that worked out!

Oh aye, my bad - they were already playing in league games by 66, though - right? I once met Keith Peacock, played for Charlton off the bench in 1965 and became the first sub in English league football. 

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, my bad - they were already playing in league games by 66, though - right? I once met Keith Peacock, played for Charlton off the bench in 1965 and became the first sub in English league football. 

Yes, began in the 65-66 season (for injuries only at that time). Keith Peacock was indeed the first sub, and on my 5th birthday.

• Like 1

R.I.P.

A 15th death on the deathlist and it's only October! (touch wood)

3 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Family joins legal action against football authorities, including the Football Association, for alleged negligence over brain injuries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/11/nobby-stiles-family-join-legal-action-against-england-wales/

Saw the thread had been boosted - thought for a second Gareth Southgate had selected him :unsure:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Family joins legal action against football authorities, including the Football Association, for alleged negligence over brain injuries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/11/11/nobby-stiles-family-join-legal-action-against-england-wales/

Clubs openly say they refuss to follow the current guidance as it is. 

• Like 1