Grim Reaper

Nobby Stiles

If he has final stage alzheimers and vascular dementia isnt it likely he will just keep suffering strokes until he dies?

If he has final stage alzheimers and vascular dementia isnt it likely he will just keep suffering strokes until he dies?

Possibly. One of my great uncles basically spent the last three years of his life either having strokes or recovering from them, and eventually they killed him but he was a shell of a man by then.

My MIL - god rest her - had advanced dementia, which was listed as cause of death, but she didn't have strokes that I remember. She became fairly sedentary and having a buggered hip didn't help either, which led to poor circulation and in turn then led to her picking up infections in her lungs and heart. So it was more or less pneumonia that was the final nail and caused the heart to fail. I would say if someone was an ex athlete like Stiles, their body would be in better condition than my MIL but it will finish him eventually.

The article does say this

"his decline has been so steep in recent weeks that visiting him is out of the question for all but the close family."

"his decline has been so steep in recent weeks that visiting him is out of the question for all but the close family."

Yep, dementia is a thing which goes up and down in waves and during moments where the sufferer is perhaps a bit more lucid, they can get angry or scared and highly distressed at times. They are not beyond twatting you with their walking stick as I discovered personally!

Possibly. One of my great uncles basically spent the last three years of his life either having strokes or recovering from them, and eventually they killed him but he was a shell of a man by then.

Yeah it is a cruel way to die.

• Like 1

Yep, dementia is a thing which goes up and down in waves and during moments where the sufferer is perhaps a bit more lucid, they can get angry or scared and highly distressed at times. They are not beyond twatting you with their walking stick as I discovered personally!

Yes, it was the recent steep decline that caught my eye though.

• Like 1

Yes, it was the recent steep decline that caught my eye though.

Especially when you consider that his son described him as being very very poorly in August.Clearly he is in a new phase altogether.

That really is heart-wrenching to read. Although was I the only one while reading that, thinking "I could have sworn he had less teeth than that"?

That really is heart-wrenching to read. Although was I the only one while reading that, thinking "I could have sworn he had less teeth than that"?

Yeah it made me feel very sad.Dentures?

June 3rd 2017

75 Today!:party::birthday:

• Like 1

On 18/05/2017 at 15:36, Shaun of the Dead said:

75 Today!:party::birthday:

Yeah, and he's really excited cos all his pals from school are coming round

23 minutes ago, ebless said:

He is now in the final stages of his Alzheimer's battle according to his son. A dead cert for this year?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nobby-stiles-england-united-alzheimers-10465595

Not a dead cert but as he has had Alzheimers for 15 years and is clearly in an incredibly poor state of health.This year or next.

On 22/05/2017 at 18:06, Shaun of the Dead said:

Not a dead cert but as he has had Alzheimers for 15 years and is clearly in an incredibly poor state of health.This year or next.

That's Ray Wilson you're thinking of.

No I was thinking of Norbert.

I'd say Stiles is a goner soon and I'm likely fielding him for 2018 action if the chance arises but...

I know of someone in that final stage of Alzhiemers who has lingered near on three years since the "it could be any day" assessment from a doctor.