Grim Reaper

Leah Bracknell

This whole 'alternative treatment' lark just seems like a last ditch attempt of clawing some time back...

This whole 'alternative treatment' lark just seems like a last ditch attempt of clawing some time back...

You're kinder than me.

I think alternative treatment is a way of some unscrupulous money grabbing bastards making money out of desperate people by selling false hope and bullshit.

I would say it is less than that.It seems to act as a distraction to impending mortality.If you believe that stuff works it acts as a placebo and you feel more hopeful for a while until the situation becomes grave.It is I guess a way of keeping happy and enjoying the time you have left by having an almost delusional belief that you will be ok.

As Bouncebackability notes those who sell bogus medications are pure evil for exploiting someone who is vulnerable and desperate.

• Like 1

I would say it is less than that.It seems to act as a distraction to impending mortality.If you believe that stuff works it acts as a placebo and you feel more hopeful for a while until the situation becomes grave.It is I guess a way of keeping happy and enjoying the time you have left by having an almost delusional belief that you will be ok.

As Bouncebackability notes those who sell bogus medications are pure evil for exploiting someone who is vulnerable and desperate.

Or they're a business genius. A post in Donald Trump's advisory board beckons

You notice the activity on the Leah Bracknell and think this is it but no, a link to something that I'm already bored of reading!! Cmon...

She may surprise some people on how long she lasts to be honest. (She won't be saved by the "treatment" though).

You notice the activity on the Leah Bracknell and think this is it but no, a link to something that I'm already bored of reading!! Cmon...

Think you've got a long wait on this one sweetie. (Gut instinct will no doubt once again show how of the ball I am)

What actually is Shamanism?Sounds hippieish but not sure exactly what they believe.Is it similar to the druids?

Think you've got a long wait on this one sweetie. (Gut instinct will no doubt once again show how of the ball I am)

Sweetie?!

Sweetie?!

I call everyone sweetie... Don't go thinking you're special.

Sweetie?!

Clearly you're British.

You see, on this side of the pond, we're actually nice, kind, and warm to our fellow human beings. Hence the "sweetie".

(Assuming bouncebackability is an American)

What actually is Shamanism?Sounds hippieish but not sure exactly what they believe.Is it similar to the druids?

Mystical healings and all that rubbish. You know, healing terminal illness via acupuncture, massage and all that jazz.

Mystical healings and all that rubbish. You know, healing terminal illness via acupuncture, massage and all that jazz.

Had a family member with terminal cancer. In the final days the doctor recommended lavender oil to reduce pain.

My doctor cousin gave a direct and pithy response.

I got that but do they have a deity or shit like that?

I got that but do they have a deity or shit like that?

Err, it were sort of linked to the whole spirit belief in places like the Pacific Islands, parts of Asia, etc where its linked to old religious customs, yes, anthropologically speaking. But in Europe, it tends to be aging hippies with Geronimo fandoms...

I didn't really pay much attention to this though. Now if you'd asked me about the chaps who run the cargo cult about Prince Philip being their God...

Andy Kaufman went to the Philippines for their mystical healing. Dead within 2 months.

Barry Sheene went for the holistic "starve the cancer of energy" route. Dead within 7 months.

We've got two Deathlisters on the old homeopathic treatments, and that convinces me more about their "general fuckedness" than the cancers themselves.

Might as well go on the Cheeseburger Cancer Cure. Will work just as well, you'll last about the same length of time, and it'll be tastier...

I can highly recommend 'Snake Oil and Other Preoccupations', by John Diamond, which gives an excellent critical insight into the world of complimentary medicines, written from the perspective of an author who only had weeks to live.

My view is that while nobody is going to be cured by these therapies, there is a case for individuals feeling good about engaging in shamanic chanting, howling at the moon, etc. If you feel good, you feel well and if you feel well, then you can't ask for much more than that really. A good example of this approach was the President of Slovenia, Janez Drnovsek who rejected all conventional treatment for his cancer and confounded the expectations of everyone but himself in finishing his term in office.

Dusty thread on the great man here:

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/4420-janez-drnovsek/

“I look old, my hair is grey, I look tired, exhausted, dark rings under my eyes, red from crying, face thin now, cheeks sunken, hair limp.”

This line struck me.

• Like 1

Just watched her on loose women.Looks very well but has lost quite a bit of weight.

6 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

C5bv_N9WUAA1QmJ.jpg:large

Aye, but she's keeping us weighting; a few Deathlist Cup teams might regret their decisions, eh?

27 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

C5bv_N9WUAA1QmJ.jpg:large

At the very least she'll make it to August, but I think she'll slide into 2018. (You can thank me once she  dies in April :( )

She's got the Bernie Nolan Spring 2013 look about her, to me.