Grim Reaper

Leah Bracknell

All I can say is that I got a Martin Crowe vibe from her. I'm 95% sure that she won't die in the very near future, but she could still die this year (more likely than Stefansson at least). 

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

All I can say is that I got a Martin Crowe vibe from her. I'm 95% sure that she won't die in the very near future, but she could still die this year (more likely than Stefansson at least). 

It is very difficult to make a definitive prognosis without knowing where her cancer has spread too.Stage 4 lung cancer is lethal but without knowing where and how much it has spread too it is different to know what her odds of making next year are.Stefan Karl is even harder to predict as I don`t know what stage his cancer is.Pancreatic cancer has such a poor general prognosis that I reckon he will be gone within two years.

4 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

It is very difficult to make a definitive prognosis without knowing where her cancer has spread to.

That's a good point actually. Does anyone knows if her cancer spread to parts of the body other than the lungs (as that where it originated), or is it just a large enough tumor that it can't be removed? Either way, she still won't make 2019. 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

That's a good point actually. Does anyone knows if her cancer spread to parts of the body other than the lungs (as that where it originated), or is it just a large enough tumor that it can't be removed? Either way, she still won't make 2019. 

The only hint we have is that she had a build up of fluid around the heart related to the cancer which is a bad sign and commonly associated with stage 4 lung cancer where the fluid around the heart is invaded by cancerous cells.The fact that she only got offered 6 rounds of palliative chemo leads me to believe she isn`t telling us exactly how awful it is.One because she wants to stay positive and two if she had said where it had spread and how much people may have been less likely to donate. to her fund.

https://somethingbeginningwithc.com/2017/03/31/the-journey/ :New entry on her blog.Difficult to make sense of it as it is written in poetic form but it says her treatments have not been working and that she has lost her get out of jail card and that she is trying not to die.Sounds very grim :/ This is the key quote:

"something beginning with c?

Or a scan here, a blood test there, just a scratch, biopsies galore, are you seeing the pharmacist today? Well, I won’t beat around the bush, Disappointing, not what we’d hoped.

Well, it’s not what I hoped to be pumped full of drugs, or radiation, or chemicals.

Not what I’d hoped at all. Just saying."

Yes, I have no idea what this (loose) poem filled with all the symbols of impending death could possibly mean...

"seven and a half feet

of

polar bear.

(And, please look away now if you are vegan – )

deceased and stuffed."

The bit in bold made me laugh.

I have respect for her, since that is the first time in ages that I've seen the word utmost used correctly and not transmogrified into "upmost".

It is nice to see people sticking to gramatically correct language.It does seem a rarity these days!

Leahs overt positivity makes me think of my Dad who lost a very close friend a couple of weeks ago.He was so incredibly positive and came round my parents house less than a week before he died and he was so full of joie de vivre and optimism that it has really knocked Dad.When I found out the nature of his cancer though I knew from amateur dead pooling that it was absolutely dire and that he was near death.I think the airy fairy optimism makes the limited time of the individual more profound and joyful but when they inevitably go it makes it hard for those close around to reconcile with.As I said to Dad though the fact he was optimistic and in such good spirits when you last saw him means that the sadness and fear at least wasnt shared and that he lived his last days feeling fantastic allbeit brought on by a degree of delusion. 

• Like 1

The Knife's Edge 
To walk along a knife's edge, you're gonna need tough feet.
A strong heart, flexible but focussed mind 
And a whole lotta love. 
To walk with another along a knife's edge,
You're gonna need to know when to lead and when to follow.
When to fall back and when to surge forward.
All the books or theories in the world 
Ain't gonna help you with this journey. 
Nor can many others, 
As its hard to feel the knife 
When there's sand below your toes.
Intention, hard work, sweat, tears, laughter, release.
Let the knife seer into you
As the pain will wake you up to the joy 
And both conjoin to bring the sweet caress of healing.
Love is both the knife and the feet walking along it,
The edge and the mystery beyond.

A poem posted a few days ago by Leah`s partner.Sounds like things are grim.Based on this and her recent blog post about treatment not working I suspect she won`t be around for Christmas.

I'm starting to think she might die earlier than I originally thought, like May-June. Possibly before Gord and Errol! But maybe I'm reading too much into these depressing blog posts.

:skill2:

New Years Resolution for next year, don't listen to my brain...

27 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

I'm starting to think she might die earlier than I originally thought, like May-June. Possibly before Gord and Errol! But maybe I'm reading too much into these depressing blog posts.

It is so difficult to predict her case because we don`t know the specific type of lung cancer she has and where else it is now.Also, she is incredibly vague when she talks about it that you do have to read between the lines.Errol Christie is an outlier for having stage 4 lung cancer as he has made the two year mark.That said he is incredibly fit otherwise and has been able to receive chemo meaning he might last a bit longer.His nephew said he had a year to live last June.Downie again is getting towards being an outlier as he has passed the 15-month average lifespan for glioblastoma but did have surgery and treatment that has had effect.The issue with glioblastoma is even when treated fairly successfully it flares up again with a vengeance.Bracknell however from what she has said has very limited treatment options whereas the other two seemingly don`t.All 3 will in all likelihood go this year I still think.Very sad as they all seem like nice people and dying in your early 50`s is pretty tragic in this day and age.Still dead pooling is a measurement of probabilities, not a wish list.

• Like 2

Minor correction - Cyrus Christie said his uncle "had been given a year" - far as I know, we don't know when that was that he was actually told the prognosis.

Downie's doing a Martin Crowe, reaching prognosis spot and living a bit beyond. Only difference, Crowe's was in November, so he lived into 2016. Downie's see him to circa April, so another six months is still 2017...

As for Bracknell, I suspected she'd see Halloween but not Christmas. Given the last two "updates", I wonder if she'll see the Champions League final.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Minor correction - Cyrus Christie said his uncle "had been given a year" - far as I know, we don't know when that was that he was actually told the prognosis.

Downie's doing a Martin Crowe, reaching prognosis spot and living a bit beyond. Only difference, Crowe's was in November, so he lived into 2016. Downie's see him to circa April, so another six months is still 2017...

As for Bracknell, I suspected she'd see Halloween but not Christmas. Given the last two "updates", I wonder if she'll see the Champions League final.

“He’s struggling with cancer. He’s 51, only a young fella.

“They’ve only given him a year. It’s spread quite a few times and he’s just trying to battle on.

Grammatically that means a year from the time he was saying it but you could well be right .

Heh, I'd suggest expecting exact grammar from the comments of a footballer might be wishful thinking, but I don't want to be cruel. (Or, indeed, those in glasshouses, stones, etc...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Heh, I'd suggest expecting exact grammar from the comments of a footballer might be wishful thinking, but I don't want to be cruel. (Or, indeed, those in glasshouses, stones, etc...)

Well I was thinking that if I am honest.

17 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeh man!!

2 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

That explains some of her previous posts!

Hah yes, while I believe that medical marijuana could be a great help for some people, in her case, it's probably just an excuse to continue doing what she's done before.

• Like 2

The Howard Marks method.

She said it was for pain relief and I have heard it can help a lot with cancer related pains.I wonder if she is smoking it or using brownies.Smoking it would probably make the breathlessness worse.

On 04/27/2017 at 22:47, Shaun of the Dead said:

She said it was for pain relief and I have heard it can help a lot with cancer related pains.I wonder if she is smoking it or using brownies.Smoking it would probably make the breathlessness worse.

She looks like a chewer to me. I can see her chewing away on a wad of the green stuff.

On 4/27/2017 at 21:43, gcreptile said:

Long-term use of Marijuana has side-effects for healthy users. For those who are dying though, it can relieve pain and nausea caused by some cancer treatments. In other words: Use it only when you are sick. Stay healthy everyone!