RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

My view is if your shadow list is stacked with cancer sufferers, internet celebrities and the like then count your hits and be smug about it but do not compare your success with the Committee.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

My rule of thumb is not so much whether I've heard of them, but would somebody I know have heard of them?  I might not be familiar with someone in a narrow field that is outside my knowledge and experience, but someone down the pub on a Friday night might well be.  Scientific types, for instance.  Or actors in a popular TV series that I don't watch.

I also think people with less-than-household names can qualify if the context is there.  For instance, Nobel Prize winners.

Or:

"Who's John Wetton?"

"He was in King Crimson.  And Asia."

"Oh, yeah,  I liked some of their stuff."

I have a similar rule of thumb. If I can describe who they are to someone/they can describe someone to me without using their illness or longevity in the description then they are worthy of consideration. 

• Like 3

Think we’re there. 17 a fantastic result but unless we get a shocker we’re done.

number 1 must be Leah next year :) 

What I find crazy is the fact that there are only 5 hits in the top 30 on the list yet the committee still got 17!  There are still so many near the top that I thought would have gone last year let alone in 2017 but they will still be here next year as well!

I can still see 17 being broken next year IF the committee keeps the right names and finally some of the 'bed blockers' start to expire..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, philheybrookbay said:

Think we’re there. 17 a fantastic result but unless we get a shocker we’re done.

Leah should be on the list, but shouldn't be #1. 

I doubt that many non-British DL forum members had heard about her before her cancer was announced. She is only known for one particular British soap (Emmerdale) that had many characters on it and was not so well known outside the UK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philheybrookbay said:

Still  convinced there'll be an 18th. I'm on intensive Billy Graham watch for the next few hours !I've always been convinced he'll go at Christmas time, or maybe easter.  PS Merry Christmas to everyone on  the forum !

• Like 2