RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

Pretty good list overall I'd say. The rankings are off though; I think Leah Bracknell, Gord Downie, and Errol Christie should've taken the top 3. The only major omission IMO is Mario Soares. Colin Meads, maybe, but I guess the committee might have thought he's not famous enough.

A solid list overall. The only complain I'd have is that there might be a bit too many purely age based picks for my taste, especially in the top 10. (But at least the young ones are confirmed terminal cases like Downie or Bracknell or near-dead-certs like Christie; sure, none of them would provide headlines like Prince, Bowie or George Michael, but at least they are fresh blood compared to the usual folks.)

Clive James, in my opinion, is someone who must be considered for 2018. The omission of Helmut Kohl might be a mistake, probability: 50%.

Good list but taking off both Clive James and Prunella Scales may be a mistake. Still no Geoffrey Bayldon I see as well!

Surprised Peter Sallis is so high up but he is really getting up there in years and has survived a lot of people expectations.

I really can't see Kirk Douglas and Billy Graham lasting much longer - I'd be surprised if they see July really..

Why did they put their Queen? I thought she was off limits

I hope this list remains at zero.

Please, let's have a zero for the whole year.

Considering almost 30 of the list are 90+ I would expect an exceptional year! I wonder if including her maj and the racist will bring some well deserved media attention to the list... here's hoping.

You can't call him a racist.

He's 96 which means its just old peoples talk. Although I can't really use that to explain the first 80 years...

He just makes jokes about stereotypes, which is not at all the same thing as racism.

Sadly it seems that nowadays even mentioning a racial or cultural feature or characteristic gets labelled as a racist remark.

• Like 2

Good solid list in my opinion. Like that shock moment when you look through the list and think, really ?, and didn't get that this year. Closest To real surprise was Sandy Gall getting another year on it.

Considering almost 30 of the list are 90+ I would expect an exceptional year! I wonder if including her maj and the racist will bring some well deserved media attention to the list... here's hoping.

You can't call him a racist.

He's 96 which means its just old peoples talk. Although I can't really use that to explain the first 80 years...

He just makes jokes about stereotypes, which is not at all the same thing as racism.

Sadly it seems that nowadays even mentioning a racial or cultural feature or characteristic gets labelled as a racist remark.

Tell me about it, I once had a highly promising career as a minstrel singer lined up

I dropped 3 hints on Sir Gerald, who will not see the middle of the year. Opportunity thrown away.

Overall a fairly solid and decent list.

My initial thoughts and feelings

Im glad Doris Day has been removed.She seems rather healthy and vibrant for her age.I don't think 2017 is her year.

Im surprised Gene Hackman wasn't included,I feel the amount of time hes been out of the public eye completely is indicative of his long term ailing state.

I don't think this year is Olivias year but I can understand why shes been kept on it.Shes kind of there now until the end.

I hope their right about Robert Mugabe-I desperately hope their wrong about Betty White but the case for her being there is strong especially as the only remaining name from one of the biggest sitcoms from the 1980s she would be a bad miss if she wasn't on the list and died.

I think the talk? prediction of this being a record breaking year is justified but there could be a few on there who are like creeking old doors who could go on for a few years yet and thwart any record breaking.Olivia strikes me as one of those.She seems very robust for a lady of 100.

Pierre Cardin-a decent pick.I think internationally famous people from the world of fashion are going to become more frequent on the list in years to come,Calvin Klein,Karl Lagerfield etc

Im glad Mary Tyler Moore is still there as I think this is her year and the committee would have ended up rueing the decision to remove her if they had.

More thoughts at another time but yes an impressive list.

• Like 1

So, when is the first poll coming up The Unknown Man? Cause it's a difficult decision due to the amount of dead certs on deathlist.

• Like 1

Overall a fairly solid and decent list.

My initial thoughts and feelings

Im glad Doris Day has been removed.She seems rather healthy and vibrant for her age.I don't think 2017 is her year.

Im surprised Gene Hackman wasn't included,I feel the amount of time hes been out of the public eye completely is indicative of his long term ailing state.

Hackman has been out of the public eye for such a long time because he is retired from acting, he has written a couple of books since then but there has been no information on any health problems

My thoughts on the 2017 list?

As others have been saying, it's a good, solid list - not least because of significant overlap in choices with my own personal list! Much, much better than last year's list. The crap picks have been kept to a minimum, and 90% of them are fairly solid picks.

I'd agree with others who say that this year has the best chance of any in recent years to break the record of 14 deaths. So many good picks on there. Tired now as back from a crap party, too tired to go into any great detail of analysis. But overall I get the impression that this list has been thought about more carefully than last year's, which had many poor choices on it.

Any bad choices? I don't think the Queen will go in 2017, despite some minor ailments recently. Emperor Akihito, Gay Byrne, David Prowse and Liz Dawn are new picks with known health issues but could quite easily go either way.

Disappointed about the non-inclusion of John Wetton, Zhou Youguang, Clare Hollingworth, I. M. Pei, Mario Soares, and others.

Really strong list though the exclusion of John Wetton when he looks like Sam Simon/Barry Gibb in their last few months and meets the fame requirement is a head scratcher like Marks last year.

He'll probably die this year without having ever made the list - a crying shame.

Wetton is probably going to be the biggest miss this year. He looked hideous in recent photos.

• Like 1

It's alright. I disagree with Betty White. Is she even sick, or just old? Or do we simply have too good of a pun to risk missing her? I would replace her with Joni Mitchell.

I hope we get zero.

Hey, don't knock Joni Mitchell.

She sings a lot better than today's singers.

I see 6-7 VERY low hanging fruit and all I'll be 94+ yrs old. I don't see a single death from the bums under 90 they chose. A year I guarantee 10 deaths in my DDP 20, this is a weak class. Coulda done better.

SirC

I see 6-7 VERY low hanging fruit and all I'll be 94+ yrs old. I don't see a single death from the bums under 90 they chose. A year I guarantee 10 deaths in my DDP 20, this is a weak class. Coulda done better.

SirC

You have Errol Christie on your team and you were wanting Glen Campbell on your team so bad, so your being hypocritical of yourself.

I hope we get zero.

Hey, don't knock Joni Mitchell.

She sings a lot better than today's singers.

What about today's singers? There are plenty of good ones. Honestly I'd be surprised if Joni can sing at all, though. She's been in extremely poor health, and she's been a chainsmoker since she was very young. I don't wish for anyone to die, but we're all mortals, and I think she hasn't got much time left. If you're a fan, make peace with that.

Also, if the deathlist scored a 0, it would't mean that fewer people died. It would simply mean that the site was wrong about who. I'm under the impression that this site doesn't have any effect on the mortality of people. I live in a country where millions of people hope every year for the death of certain politicians, and it doesn't seem to work.

• Like 2

SirC

You have Errol Christie on your team and you were wanting Glen Campbell on your team so bad, so your being hypocritical of yourself.
Christie = low hanging fruit

Ok you want names: 6 of top 11 + 98 and overs 13-50. King Michael, Christie, Campbell. That's 9. If they get more than 9 I'll send a pound of coffee to the homeless shelter if your chcoice.

SC

Initial thoughts:

• Kirk Douglas: A decent shot on age.
  • Vera Lynn: Reportedly in frail health and unable to attend things now. A solid pick.
  • Rev Billy Graham: Will probably survive the list, but have another few “Please pray for” moments.
  • Lord Carrington: Think he’ll see 100 but I thought that about Healey.
  • Peter Sallis: I thought he was a goner in 2016, I certainly do in 2017. One year I might be right...
  • Prince Philip: Undroppable.
  • Denis Norden: Seems in good enough nick for his age.
  • Pierre Cardin: Ah, he’s back.
  • Stan Lee: Seems in good enough nick for his age.
  • Olivia de Havilland: Seems in good enough nick for her advanced age.
  • Herman Wouk: Quite old.
  • Tony Booth: Falling to pieces, if he makes 2018, give him a medal.
  • Bob Dole: Survived the Republican nomination thing.
  • Leah Bracknell: Stage IV cancer and reliant on shamans. Fucked.
  • Jimmy Carter: Seems in good nick, but at the upper limits of Presidential longevity.
  • Gord Downie: terminal glioblastoma. A cert.
  • Leslie Phillips – Not only quiet since those strokes, but pics of him in the Mail were hideous last year. On the road out.
  • Robert Mugabe – will see 2018, in my book.
  • Javier Perez de Cuellar – zzzzzzzz
  • Jake Lamotta – Not sure how he made his 96th year.
  • King Michael – leukaemia in a 95 year old is probably trouble.
  • Betty White – in fine health for her age, best I know.
  • Nobby Stiles – Said to be “gravely ill”.
  • Queen Elizabeth II – Should be undroppable from now on.
  • Jill Gascoine – Husband said she was in the final stages of dementia. Difficult to judge these things in time.
  • Bob Barker – Seems OK for his age?
  • Doug Ellis – Quite old.
  • George Bush Sr – Somewhat frailer than Carter, but still going strong. Would be a bad miss, though.
  • Honor Blackman – Really awful health for a long time, so I am led to believe, but seemed highly perked up in her recent TV appearances. Getting better, or her previous was exaggerated – who knows?
  • Ian St John – bladder cancer spreading after surgery. Fecked.
  • Hugh Hefner – Old.
  • David Prowse – Ill, but not quite as badly as was made out to believe. Apparently he still tweets.
  • Jerry Lewis – Oh, he’s back.
  • David Rockefeller – Very old.
  • Sandy Gall – I think this is an attempt to out-jinx the Deathlist jinx, by keeping on someone who would usually be dropped and then die.
  • Pope Benedict XVI – Said to be in very frail health.
  • Bruce Forsyth – Probably a banker, imo.
  • Fats Domino – Still no idea how he’s outlived most of his contemporaries. His healthier contemporaries.
  • Hosni Mubarak – Dont trust him, but he’s getting old.
  • Desmond Tutu – Too big to miss, imo, and accumulating old age health issues.
  • Akihito – General view? If the Japanese government committee are suggesting he can abdicate, in Japan, then he’s fucked.
  • Gay Byrne – Think he was being over dramatic tbh.
  • Glen Campbell – A must for 2017, surely.
  • Liz Dawn – First time on the Deathlist, despite many years of folk asking for her. The Ali gambit once more?
  • John Noakes – Said to be very poorly with dementia when he disappeared in Summer 2015. He was found, and survived 2016, but it suggests 2017 might be a tough one for him.
  • Valerie Harper – Well she is still terminal, just how slowly terminal?
  • Joost van der Westhuizen – Frail at Christmas, lasted 6 years with ALS now.
  • Mary Tyler Moore – Her again!
  • Errol Christie – “Year to live” sometime pre-May 2016. A cert.
  • Ian Brady – Says he is terminally ill. I say he’s a scumbag liar, but a hit here would be lovely.

I'm thinking 15/50, conservatively, and a record breaking year.

• Like 1

Nice list imo.

Love to see more women on it especially interesting newbies like Betty White and Honor Blackman.

And at least a German, Hooray! :D