Sign in to follow this  
CaptainChorizo

2017 Ddp Salvage Lot

Notice a thread for 2017 had not been posted yet.

This is a thread to post those who you dropped at the late minute for your 2016 team. Also is good documentation you are being truthy when you say "I nearly picked them" in another thread if your near hit dies during the year.

I'll post my 21-40

Kirk Douglas-Gut feeling said he will not see the year out.I think I will regret not picking him

Ian St. John-Another last second drop I may regret

Colin Butts-Looks certain to die but not really sure about his obit chances.Wiki page is very Tony Aadomowiczesque

Jessi Zazu-Someone her fame level adjacent"O Poan" died this year with the Rolling Stones/Pitchfork etc Music Publication running obits in the Us but nothing in the UK.Add to that O Poan was a young mother, so their was that angle for Daily Mail/Mirror heartstring bait and they still passed.

Bruce Langhorne-Good bet to die but I have seen enough"worked with Elvis,Chuck Berry,BB King,John Lennon etc" seesion musician types miss out on obits before. Not familiar enough with this field to know if he will net an obit.

Alan Aspin-Days to live prisoner,could have died days ago already with nary a national media attention until he is locked in on a team and worthless

Heather Shannon-Ovarian Cancer but not stage 4.Someone on the radar though for 2018-19

Terri Roberts-Fawked like Helen but maybe not until 2018-2019

Mireille Darc-Had Brain Hemorraghes earlier in the year;not sure her current health status and not 100% certain she will obit though I would bet most likely she will.

Daisy Berkowitz-His situations seems omnious,not quite sure how much though.Auctioning off items for medical procedures at least means he is fighting still.

Paul Van-Zandvliet-Feel like he will scrape through until 2018-2019

Charles Bradley-I know he has stomach cancer but not sure at what stage or for how long

Nick Boles-Da tumors how big

Bart Starr-High likelihood to die but not 95-100% and probably not close to drop 40 to make him a good points value pick

Rose Marie/Billy Simpson-see above

Greg Gilbert-Fawked with Panc Cancer but was just diagnosed so even if it's a bad prognosis given his age he would have to be averse to every type of treatment to be a goner in single digit months.

Joost van der Westhuizen-ALS and late stage Alzeihmers seem to be the trap picks though I was considering him and his passing in 2017 would shock me 0 percent.

Fernando Ricksen-see above

Nabeel Quereshi-Highly likely chance of death but entirely unsure of obit chances.

• Like 1

Shaneen Doherty (probably making it to 2018)
Luke Halpin (apparently in remission)
Dilip Kumar (might not die, old)
Sharon Laws (less likely to die than final 20)
Colin Meads (seems to be getting better)
Nabeel Qureshi (apparently cured)
Mario Soares (dead cert but too old)
Joost van der Westhuizen (risky if he'll die)
John Wetton (fucking forgot!)

All I can think of.

• Like 1

I can confirm these were the last 5 names that got dropped:

Nobby Stiles: Frail and have Alzheimer's, but I believe there were better picks for my team.

Lisa Magill: Saw her and was worried about I she'd obit. Seeing her on RadGuy's team makes me regret dropping her

King Michael of Romania: Guaranteed dead cert, it's just that I didn't want to put a 90+ year old on my team. He made 3rd sub

Leah Bracknell: Apart of me told me that she was fraudulent. Although I'm regretting that decision already

Paul Van-Zandvliet: This last one was just a case of losing the last spot to another person

Last minute drops from DDP main team 20:

Glen Campbell (fuckin forgot!)

King Michael (too popular, not many points)

Bart Starr (new stem cell injections in November probably bought him at least 10 months)

Kevin Carey (not sure about obitability)

MP Patrick John (not sure he will die 2017, but a solid pick. #21 for me, my only alternate I listed)

Leah Bracknell (Ain't buying she's dead 2017, would've been a purely defensive pick and I'm over them [see John Bain 2016])

Paul 'Stabber' Watson (Google finds little so assume he won't obit)

SirC

Last minute DDP 2017 drops/grants of eternal life:

Desmond Tutu (forgot until I had hit send)

Bob Hawke (have a feeling he might see out the year)

Stirling Moss (doesn't appear to be ill, just old)

Nobby Stiles

Fats Domino

Danielle Darrieaux

Geoffrey Palmer

Jill Gascoigne

Eileen Derbyshire (couldn't find anything about current health)

Thelma Barlow (also couldn't find anything about current health)

Steve Hewlett - Chemo is going well and he's been put forward for a trial immunotherapy run. Taken a punt he'll be OK for 2018.

Dan1elle K3mp - Obit unlikely, and didn't want to feel like a right cunt.

Latham Grant - Obit unlikely with the BBC local sections going, and even as terminal, likely to see 2018 with that type of cancer

John Bain - Seems to be on mend.

Valerie Spiridinov

Lisa Magill - If she's outlasted her prognosis by three years, I think she might outlast it by four.

Rena Salmon - Don't trust her

Kay Hagan/Mark Nicholas - would have been punt picks

Craig MacGregor - obit worries

Colin Meads - too old.

After last year, I put numbers 21-40 in their own DDP team, "Here's who you could have won", so knowing my luck, that'll finish above Pan Breed.

Honor Blackman- Removed her to make room for better picks.

Lisa Magil- managed to fly under my radar.

K!eran M@xwell - "Inspiring" Olympic torch carrier from four years ago who has taken a turn for the worse in recent months, nowhere near guaranteed an obit though

Sonja Durham - This may be the one I regret dropping most, Lady Gaga's bestie, stage 4 metastatic breast cancer, Gaga's even got a song about her on her latest album... I'm almost certain I'll curse dropping her

Keith Welch, Les Mutrie - Footballers who may well fall victim to the "no BBC local report" rulings

Miguel Ferrer - The big "rumour" pick this year other than Eddie Long, but I can't risk a pick based on Twitter gossip and nothing higher up

Alan Chamberlain - Probably the most famous snooker referee with a penis left now Len Ganley's gone. Has suddenly stepped down from all positions he holds in the game and there were a few "didn't know he was that ill" comments from the snooker community around there.

Mort Drucker - Mad Magazine artist apparently fully on the way out

Didn't pick Stefan Karl Stefansson for DDP because I don't think he will obit. I did pick him for the Deathrace, though.

Larry Pickering - His doctors said he wouldn't see 2017, but he's still posting the same shite on his blog

Greg Gilbert/Stefan Karl Stefansson - I think they'll see 2018

Nobby Stiles - I don't trust his son

PC Paul Briggs - Not my kind of pick

Jessi Zazu - Don't think she'll obit

Colin Meads - Might see 2018 and even if he does die, he probably won't benefit from the Drop 40 bonus.

Anna Holmlund - I think she'll recover

Pete Frates/Steve Gleason/Fernando Ricksen - Limiting myself to one ALS pick

Jimmy Snuka - Don't trust him

As I already said, I didn't pick John Wetton. It never crossed my mind. Might be a mistake if he makes the Drop 40.

On the other hand, in contrast to last year, I tried to minimize regret and actually picked the people I suggested myself, though sometimes only in the B-Team. This year, the B-Team is actually my salvage lot, so here are some thoughts:

Seiji Ozawa - Health is getting worse. Likely unique, but probably not terminally ill after he had surgery "to take it all out".

Andrew Fairlie - I'm proud of this pick. But you don't know when or if the treatment stops working.

John Swinton of Kimmerghane - just to have an interesting unique pick. Only reason is age

Julia Perez - high risk, high reward. She's a bit of an attention seeker. Who knows if her illness is real, and the only obit chance is the BBC world news section I guess.

Herbert Kretzmer - looked terrible when he sat down for an interview with Charles Aznavour. Another hunt for a unique hit.

Colin Butts - might obit, might not. Also still in adequate health.

Ray Pfeifer - had main team potential. There's a couple of articles on 9/11 first responders with cancer each year.

Kevin Murray - kicked him off the main team in the final week. Hope I don't regret it. But my experience with Gary Haggarty gave me no other choice.

Ah, two Generation Game people I didn't pick after all:

Lord Henry Mountcharles - looking forward to host Guns'n'Roses in 2017

Sir Owen Glenn -probably dead soon, probably obiting. Probably unique. Was enough for a substitution.

Edit: And Quincy Jones might be a fraud.

Here's most the names who got within the final 40 or so, but didn't pass muster for the big time:

Greg Gilbert - Agreed with Dead Cow, gut feeling is treatment delays him into 2018. (though given my "they'll see 2017 punt" omissions were Marks and Granger, you who picked him can thank me later)

Larry Pickering - Again agreed with Dead Cow. When I alluded to "you've lasted quite long, lucky or fraud?" in the shortlist thread I was thinking mainly of him. He still ended up on the subs bench, but reeks of fraud nonetheless. And I'd rather not trawl through his kooky politics blog in vain hopes of finding health updates.

Jimmy Snuka - Likewise reeks of fraud.

Smith Hart - Thinking he's more ill than Snuka, but don't entirely trust him either. And even if he's fully legit, that "could last a year" prognosis could take him into 2018 if he's lucky. That and I'm not a wrestling buff in the vein of msc or Spade, so still not 100% convinced he's a sure obit from being Bret's crazy older brother, though certainly an entertaining character.

Mike Ilitch - Detroit sports bigwig, Little Caesar's Pizza founder. Rumors he was near death (rest in pizza pizza?) cropped up in mid-year, but I caught on to the fact that the journo claiming he was dying did so for at least three years! That, and Sir Creep posted him in that Detroit theme team, so the main reason I was considering him (offhand unique chance) was gone anyway.

Peter Sallis - A gut feeling that surely this has to be his year, plus Drop 40 bonus? But then I picked Booth and Joost under similar circumstances. I figured it made just as much sense to pick a more certain to die 60-something with no unique or Drop 40 chance. In went Charles Bradley. He still became my first sub though.

Glen Campbell - Like ALS/MND/Lou Gehrig's disease/whatever you want to call it picks, one Alzheimer's/dementia punt is enough. And Booth has a lot more wrong with him, whereas Campbell is at least still in good physical health.

Ted Mack - "Father of Australian Independents". Declared an Australian national treasure, or something similar, Guardian obit guaranteed methinks. But I decided with the Drop 40 bonus, it's not really worth shooting for uniques from 80+ people at this point. Thus Ilitch wouldn't have been picked even if not for the Detroit team/my personal suspicions...

DJ Casper - Two advanced cancers doesn't sound that good, but the could-go-either-way nature of his case and the complete silence since that "he's feeling a bit better" update in what, July? Was a bit offputting.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - It was one of either him or Joost, the young risk who was 13 points at least if they went. My mind kept flipping between one or the other, but I went for Joost in the end.

Mao Kobayashi - I admit the BBC 100 Women profile was tempting. But Julia Perez is a pick for me too, and one "well, BBC profiled them before..." gambit is enough methinks.

Mario Soares - Sure to die, but I'd been deadset on picking King Mike and one 90+ name is plenty.

Patrick Cryne - Could never find out his specific cancer. That "he posted more detail on his Facebook but I'd rather keep it a private matter" post on one football forum is a pisser though.

Dave Strader, Steve Sumner, John Wetton - Names who will probably die, and probably (or certainly in Wetton's case) obit, but couldn't find room for them.

Catherine Wybourne - Still quite chirpy on Twitter.

John Bain - Ditto. Not yet close enough to dying even if the age would still justify a punt.

Anna Holmlund - Schumi was an albatross for me. If the skiing accident killed her, it probably would've been before the new year.

Valery Spiridonov - I remain skeptical that the operation will actually happen.

Sonja Durham - Like Spade, I'm sure I'll regret leaving her off. I guess I got something of a Hallenga vibe from her... but she's probably fecked.

Dorris Francis - Her cancer was operable to some degree. A chance she ends up doing a Kris Travis, but too much a gamble for my liking.

Eddie Long - Does look terrible, but too rumor based for my liking.

Celia Brackenridge - Her prescience regarding the UK football sex abuse scandal guarantees an obit, and she has leukemia. But couldn't find out how bad it is.

Edit: And Quincy Jones might be a fraud.

I had a feeling that was the possible fraud you were alluding to. I saw the "oh yeah, about that dying thing, I just had a major operation that removed the cancer but it'll come back at some point" article as well.

Yeah, there's a few inconsistencies in Q Jones' story... maybe that's shoddy reporting, but I trust most circuit stand-ups about as far as I can throw them.

Strictly Corpse Dying (a Strictly Come Dancing/Dancing with the Stars theme team)

1: Shannen Doherty
2: Bruce Forsyth
3: Valerie Harper
4: Tommy Chong
5: Rob Kardashian
6: Buzz Aldrin
7: Cloris Leachman
8: Sherri Shepherd
9: Jimmy Tarbuck
10: Betsey Johnson
11: Paula Deen
12: Johnny Ball
13: Suzanne Somers
14: Russell Grant
15: Esther Rantzen
16: David Dickinson
17: John Sergeant
18: Ann Widdecombe
19: Anastacia
20: Len Goodman

21: June Brown
22: Tim Wonnacott
23: George Hamilton
I didn't spend nearly long enough on this team to have anything below the basic three-person subs bench. Obviously Gary Busey would be there if he wasn't already in another team I'm more invested in. This one:
Unpersons (a Big Brother theme team)

Last year's position is given in brackets, where applicable.
1: (new) Marco Pierre White Jr
2: (2) Jackie Stallone
3: (3) Bruce Jones
4: (5) Julie Goodyear
5: (7) Lionel Blair
6: (6) Lauren Harries
7: (new) Janice Dickinson
8: (new) Danniella Westbrook
9: (4) Carol McGiffin
10: (8) Jeremy Jackson
11: (14) Big Ron Atkinson
12: (18) John McCririck
13: (new) Ken Morley
14: (new) Christopher Biggins
15: (new) Liz Jones
16: (new) Carole Vincent
17: (16) Gary Busey
18: (new) Tila Tequila
19: (new) Starboy Nathan
20: (new) Ivana Trump

21: Alicia Douvall (#10 last year)
22: Jackiey Budden
23: Michael Barrymore (#12 last year)
24: Rebekah Shelton (#1 last year)
25: Alexander O'Neal (#11 last year)
26: Germaine Greer (#19 last year)
27: Darryn Lyons
28: Angie Bowie
29: Lady Sovereign
30: Lesley Brain
31: Tara Reid
32: Daniel Baldwin
33: Paddy Doherty (#13 last year)
34: Kellie Maloney
35: Coolio
36: Shahbaz Chauhdry
37: Dirk Benedict
38: Dennis Rodman
39: Gail Porter
40: Leo Sayer
Four of last year's team – Paula Hamilton (#17), Katie Hopkins (#15), Dustin Diamond (#9), and Derek Laud (#20) – are out of the top 40 entirely.
#1 Hits (a UK #1 hitmaker theme team)

1: (new) Ray Thomas (The Moody Blues)
2: (new) Terry Jacks
3: (6) Peter Sarstedt
4: (2) Vera Lynn
5: (new) Len "Chip" Hawkes (The Tremeloes)
6: (11) Rolf Harris
7: (9) Billy Connolly
8: (3) Peter MacBeth (The Foundations)
9: (new) Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones)
10: (new) Eric Faulkner (Bay City Rollers)
11: (1) Sinéad O'Connor
12: (new) Vic Damone
13: (new) Kenny Rogers
14: (new) Diana Ross
15: (new) Justin Bieber
16: (new) Barry Gibb (The Bee Gees)
17: (new) Ken Dodd
18: (new) Chuck Berry
19: (new) Doris Day
20: (new) Avicii

21: Chris Farlowe
22: Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)
23: Marcia Barrett (Boney M.) (#8 last year)
24: Rick Westwood (The Tremeloes)
25: Mick Taylor (The Rolling Stones)
26: Brian May (Queen)
27: Aretha Franklin
28: Charles Aznavour (#15 last year)
29: Jim Cregan (Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel)
30: John McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
31: Billy J. Kramer
32: Tommy Roe
33: Jerry Lee Lewis
34: Eric Burdon (The Animals)
35: Jerry Allison (The Crickets)
36: Harry Belafonte
37: Jane Morgan (#5 last year)
38: Tony Bennett
39: John Leyton
40: Phil Collins

Completely missed DJ Casper (and potentially other people of interest, I don't know) because I ran out of research time somewhere in the late 1990s. What are 21st century hitmakers doing getting cancer? Crazy Frog better watch his back

• Stefan Karl Stefansson - Not sure about obit chances and if he's only just undergone a pancreaticoduodenectomy then he has a chance of getting to 2018
  • Patrick Cryne - Removed from squad at last moment in favour of Clive James
  • Della Reese - Rumoured to be at death's door over Christmas, but couldn't find anything conclusive...and she's pretty old anyway.
  • Ronnie Campbell MP - Recent attendance record at Parliament tells its own story, but he may bounce back. It is a great time to be a left winger after all.
  • Richard Murray (Charlton Chairman) - Several malignant tumours in stomach and resigning due to ill health doesn't sound too promising, but I gambled and went with Valery Spiridonov instead because I'm an idiot.

As for my superstition of always including an Irish person in the team. Last year this happened, effectively losing me the competition. So DDP superstitions are now consigned to the dustbin of history.

Dan Haggerty - Had to make way for my team's obligatory Irish person. I couldn't bring myself to submit an entry without one.

Here's most the names who got within the final 40 or so, but didn't pass muster for the big time:

Greg Gilbert - Agreed with Dead Cow, gut feeling is treatment delays him into 2018. (though given my "they'll see 2017 punt" omissions were Marks and Granger, you who picked him can thank me later)

Larry Pickering - Again agreed with Dead Cow. When I alluded to "you've lasted quite long, lucky or fraud?" in the shortlist thread I was thinking mainly of him. He still ended up on the subs bench, but reeks of fraud nonetheless. And I'd rather not trawl through his kooky politics blog in vain hopes of finding health updates.

Jimmy Snuka - Likewise reeks of fraud.

Smith Hart - Thinking he's more ill than Snuka, but don't entirely trust him either. And even if he's fully legit, that "could last a year" prognosis could take him into 2018 if he's lucky. That and I'm not a wrestling buff in the vein of msc or Spade, so still not 100% convinced he's a sure obit from being Bret's crazy older brother, though certainly an entertaining character.

Mike Ilitch - Detroit sports bigwig, Little Caesar's Pizza founder. Rumors he was near death (rest in pizza pizza?) cropped up in mid-year, but I caught on to the fact that the journo claiming he was dying did so for at least three years! That, and Sir Creep posted him in that Detroit theme team, so the main reason I was considering him (offhand unique chance) was gone anyway.

Peter Sallis - A gut feeling that surely this has to be his year, plus Drop 40 bonus? But then I picked Booth and Joost under similar circumstances. I figured it made just as much sense to pick a more certain to die 60-something with no unique or Drop 40 chance. In went Charles Bradley. He still became my first sub though.

Glen Campbell - Like ALS/MND/Lou Gehrig's disease/whatever you want to call it picks, one Alzheimer's/dementia punt is enough. And Booth has a lot more wrong with him, whereas Campbell is at least still in good physical health.

Ted Mack - "Father of Australian Independents". Declared an Australian national treasure, or something similar, Guardian obit guaranteed methinks. But I decided with the Drop 40 bonus, it's not really worth shooting for uniques from 80+ people at this point. Thus Ilitch wouldn't have been picked even if not for the Detroit team/my personal suspicions...

DJ Casper - Two advanced cancers doesn't sound that good, but the could-go-either-way nature of his case and the complete silence since that "he's feeling a bit better" update in what, July? Was a bit offputting.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - It was one of either him or Joost, the young risk who was 13 points at least if they went. My mind kept flipping between one or the other, but I went for Joost in the end.

Mao Kobayashi - I admit the BBC 100 Women profile was tempting. But Julia Perez is a pick for me too, and one "well, BBC profiled them before..." gambit is enough methinks.

Mario Soares - Sure to die, but I'd been deadset on picking King Mike and one 90+ name is plenty.

Patrick Cryne - Could never find out his specific cancer. That "he posted more detail on his Facebook but I'd rather keep it a private matter" post on one football forum is a pisser though.

Dave Strader, Steve Sumner, John Wetton - Names who will probably die, and probably (or certainly in Wetton's case) obit, but couldn't find room for them.

Catherine Wybourne - Still quite chirpy on Twitter.

John Bain - Ditto. Not yet close enough to dying even if the age would still justify a punt.

Anna Holmlund - Schumi was an albatross for me. If the skiing accident killed her, it probably would've been before the new year.

Valery Spiridonov - I remain skeptical that the operation will actually happen.

Sonja Durham - Like Spade, I'm sure I'll regret leaving her off. I guess I got something of a Hallenga vibe from her... but she's probably fecked.

Dorris Francis - Her cancer was operable to some degree. A chance she ends up doing a Kris Travis, but too much a gamble for my liking.

Eddie Long - Does look terrible, but too rumor based for my liking.

Celia Brackenridge - Her prescience regarding the UK football sex abuse scandal guarantees an obit, and she has leukemia. But couldn't find out how bad it is.

Please note I was just trying to find aged Michiganders for my theme team. Ilitch is up there in years and likely has 2017 licked. But I threw together that team in like 2 hours so don't think I was endorsing Mike Ilitch too much. He's just old that's all.

SC

To be fair, "he's just old" is precisely how I now see him too, after I investigated the health rumors more closely.

Last minute DDP 2017 drops/grants of eternal life:

Desmond Tutu (forgot)

Bob Hawke (have a feeling he might see out the year)

Stirling Moss (doesn't appear to be ill, just old)

Nobby Stiles (forgot)

Fats Domino (forgot)

Danielle Darrieaux (forgot)

Geoffrey Palmer (forgot)

Jill Gascoigne (forgot)

Eileen Derbyshire (couldn't find anything about current health)

Thelma Barlow (also couldn't find anything about current health)

You won't she's notoriously private, it's a very real possibility that she could die without her death been notified to the public until well after her passing. She'd been on Coronation Street for 50 odd years and conducting a grand total of two or three out of character interviews in that time, she definitely seems like one of those old-fashioned actors who acts because she enjoys it and sees the fame as an unwanted side affect of the acting.

C&P from wiki:

Her son Oliver Holt has denied that she is reclusive, pointing out that she is simply private, and "one of the last of a dying breed of old-fashioned actresses who do it for the love of acting, not for all the attendant publicity".

Keith Welch, Les Mutrie - Footballers who may well fall victim to the "no BBC local report" rulings

Miguel Ferrer - The big "rumour" pick this year other than Eddie Long, but I can't risk a pick based on Twitter gossip and nothing higher up

Frankly I'm pissed you've even heard of Rev Eddie Long. Thought he was my dirty little secret (search shows he was never mentioned--till now). Frankly I found his name in a separate slip of paper in my pile (after I submitted entries) and I am unsure he would have cracked the top 20 but I should mention him here as a facepalm and definitely one I woulda had trouble cutting. Found a photo of him a few weeks ago and he lost at least 50 pounds since summer, very Wetton-like. If anyone chose him I applaud and I like the pick a ton.

SC

Eddie Long's in my reserve DDP team. He looks fucked, but I was wary of picking him for the main Pan Breed team based solely on pics and no firm actual knowledge of what the fucks up with him.

Eddie Long's in my reserve DDP team. He looks fucked, but I was wary of picking him for the main Pan Breed team based solely on pics and no firm actual knowledge of what the fucks up with him.

Like I said I saw the shard of scratch paper with his name on it today and a loud aaarrrgghh exasperated out of me. I will say I'm not positive of an obit, he ain't no Rex Humbard or Oral Roberts after all. But to do the research and not have my shit together (see Glen Campbell) is embarrassing, and enlightening. I need to create spreadsheets daily like a few of you certainly do, then I won't have that problem.

SC

Like I said I saw the shard of scratch paper with his name on it today and a loud aaarrrgghh exasperated out of me. I will say I'm not positive of an obit, he ain't no Rex Humbard or Oral Roberts after all. But to do the research and not have my shit together (see Glen Campbell) is embarrassing, and enlightening. I need to create spreadsheets daily like a few of you certainly do, then I won't have that problem.

SC

I'd be surprised if the Mail doesn't acknowledge when he goes, given the attention they paid to his sex abuse scandal.

SC

I put all of my names into a Word Doc. Though I ought to put WHY they're there, as I tend to forget..

I went the other way with one of my picks. On paper Georgina Beyer diseases are one's that could linger on 2-3 years but she looks Fawked in photos.