Guest Guest Yank

Adam Ant

I see my DDP pick Chris "Merrick" Hughes (former Ant) has put his Wiltshire home up for sale. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3970652/A-pad-fit-Prince-Charming-Adam-Ants-drummer-Chris-Merrick-Hughes-puts-five-bedroom-country-manor-house-complete-recording-studio-sale-1-95million.html

Nice photos of the property if you are a Homes Under The Hammer type of person ('m not).

Scroll down to the end of the article for an update on the members of the band.

I find it absolutely incredible that a former Ant and plumber can own such a house. Ok he co-wrote a Tears For Fears song or two and produced a couple albums. I'm sorry that doesn't net you the funds to buy this house--even if he installed the plumbing himself.

SC

That "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" sold a lot, and is used even now in adverts etc. Don't knock the royalties power of a lingering song. My old fave and former Deathlist alumni Gerry Rafferty was earning 80 grand a year at the end of his life for the song Baker Street alone, never mind everything else he did in his life. Of course he was still relatively poor because he spent it all on booze, but still...

As I was trawling through 1980 possibilities, he stood out as a guaranteed obit principally because he wrote that song.

I think only Adam Ant, Pirroni and Hughes would obit widely.(no offence to Terry Lee and Tibbs).

That "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" sold a lot, and is used even now in adverts etc. Don't knock the royalties power of a lingering song. My old fave and former Deathlist alumni Gerry Rafferty was earning 80 grand a year at the end of his life for the song Baker Street alone, never mind everything else he did in his life. Of course he was still relatively poor because he spent it all on booze, but still...

Yes. A friend of mine is in the business and has a long association with Buzzcocks among many others. He told me that Pete Shelley earns enough money from 'Ever Fallen In Love' to keep him comfortably off for the rest of his life. Just that one song.

I don't think it's so easy to write a "pension" song now though, as the industry is too greedy. Other people unfairly get songwriting credits and consequently a slice.

I think only Adam Ant, Pirroni and Hughes would obit widely.(no offence to Terry Lee and Tibbs).

"Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee,

Gary Tibbs and yours truly"

Funny what sticks in my mind for years. Who's that Kevin dude in the photo in the DM?

Oh, and Sir Creep, you need to read the article again. Merrick Hughes is a producer, not a plumber. Terry Lee is the plumber.

Funny what sticks in my mind for years. Who's that Kevin dude in the photo in the DM?

Oh, and Sir Creep, you need to read the article again. Merrick Hughes is a producer, not a plumber. Terry Lee is the plumber.

Kevin was the bassist on Kings Of The Wild Frontier. Lasted less than a year. Just as they got famous, off he went, thus allowing Gary Tibbs the glory years.

Fruit loop or not, I'd let Adam Ant stand and deliver all over my chin.

• Like 5

Lol.

'Chins' perhaps...

I definitely would. A few years ago I was convinced he would have some sort of Raoul Moat scenario, but I'm glad he didn't.

I imagine he and Gazza might get on quite well...

Kevin was the bassist on Kings Of The Wild Frontier. Lasted less than a year. Just as they got famous, off he went, thus allowing Gary Tibbs the glory years.

It wasn't the bass that made them tho, it was the double drums on the rims that did.

Which they stole off the go wild in the country mob iirc.

Lol.

'Chins' perhaps...

Are you saying I'm fat?

No, I was saying your spelling was 'off'.

Bald as a fookin' coot, mind. That joyfully coloured cap is foolin' nobody

Think the Emmerdale producers should snap him up.

So why the F did someone put a thread up for a 50 year old?   Oh it was a Guesty....glad we banished Guests from creating threads ffs.  smfh.
Y-Dub can prepare to post at least 5 more times the birthday updates.
SC

13 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

So why the F did someone put a thread up for a 50 year old?   Oh it was a Guesty....glad we banished Guests from creating threads ffs.  smfh.
Y-Dub can prepare to post at least 5 more times the birthday updates.
SC

Rather than posting a rant, why don't you try and answer your own question with a simple Google first. He suffers from severe depression, has been institutionalised with it and has had problems with prescription medication use. I think that, and his notability, qualifies him for his own thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Rather than posting a rant, why don't you try and answer your own question with a simple Google first. He suffers from severe depression, has been institutionalised with it and has had problems with prescription medication use. I think that, and his notability, qualifies him for his own thread.

You're clearly more familiar with the man and his works than me

So - do you know if when he sings Goody Two Shoes these days he still includes the line about writing on a "pound note"?

• Like 1

Anyone else feel old?

Adam is 65 today! :birthday: