ImNotHades

Quincy Jones

Not to be confused with terminally ill comedian. Legendary music producer who outlived most people he worked with. He's close to 84 and survived 2 aneurysms and I don't think he'll survive the third. Quote from Wiki: In 1974, he suffered a life-threatening brain aneurysm, so he decided to cut back on his schedule to spend time with his friends and family. Since his family and friends believed that his life was coming to an end, they started to plan a memorial service for him. He attended his own service with his neurologist by his side in case the excitement overwhelmed him. Some of the entertainers at his service were Richard Pryor, Marvin Gaye, Sarah Vaughan and Sidney Poitier.

Since the 1933/34 generation is dropping hard my guess is he won't be around for a long time, but I might be wrong. Anyway, he deserves a thread. I was surprised he didn't have one already. The man lived a full and long and stressful life. I don't know if he's ill or something but he disappeared after Natalie Cole's funeral. He was probably hiding from 2016. He's on my shadow list and some others also so I hope for a hit...that's all.

• Like 1

As noted in my Sanford & Son cast n crew post, he has the same birthday as the harmonica player on the theme song.

Music: Tommy Morgan 14 Mar 1932 (Harmonica player)

Quincy Jones 14 Mar 1933 (Composer theme song)

As I'm informed that Brits have no idea about this American TV classic, I offer up this 1-minute YouTube clip for reference.

SC

The only people confusing him with a completely unknown comedian are deadpoolers. I mean cmon be serious. In fact if you've ever heard of or know a reference to another Quincy Jones not the composer, you have a dead pool problem.

SC

As I'm informed that Brits have no idea about this American TV classic, I offer up this 1-minute YouTube clip for reference.

SC

It's just another US rip-off of a genuinely great British comedy, in this case Steptoe & Son.

• Like 1

SC

It's just another US rip-off of a genuinely great British comedy, in this case Steptoe & Son.

Yeah, like Archie Bunker was a piss poor Alf Garnett.

Us Brits wouldn't know about that though, we are so insular!!! :D

• Like 4

Is this the chap who used to be married to the mighty fine Peggy Lipton? I'm afraid that's all I can contribute to the thread.

Have recently started watching all of the canonical US sitcoms, particularly the ones that were never broadcast on UK TV when I was a nipper.

Hot dang The Honeymooners is fucking shit.

• Like 1

Have recently started watching all of the canonical US sitcoms, particularly the ones that were never broadcast on UK TV when I was a nipper.

Hot dang The Honeymooners is fucking shit.

My suggestions:

- The Jeffersons

- Good Times

- Sanford & Son

- The Golden Girls

- Roseanne

SC

Certainly wasn't worse than the U.S. version of The Young Ones.

• Like 1

SC

Certainly wasn't worse than the U.S. version of The Young Ones.

SC

Absolutely, no one suggested it wasn't derived from Steptoe. What WAS stated is that some here claim zero knowledge of the existence of the show. Glad you are aware All In The Family aired on our TVs, it's a step in the right direction.

I do enjoy the defensive butthurt that I can draw to my posts. No need to get all salty lol.

SC

There's that stupid word again.

• Like 1

Quincy appears here and there, looks ok, but yes, the thread is a good idea.

Quincy Jones has a 49-year old half-Swedish son named Quincy Jones lll who also works in the music industry. He was a judge on Swedish Idol this year, one of the nicest and most down-to-earth lads you'll ever come across. His mum Ulla Jones, a model, was married to Quincy for around 7 years in the 60s-70s.

SC

You're confusing "not knowing" with "not caring"

• Like 2

They fucked up "Life On Mars" too, so I'm told.

• Like 1

They fucked up "Life On Mars" too, so I'm told.

They did, big time.

They first did a Pilot with Colm Meaney as Gene Hunt then decided that was shit and went for Harvey Keitel.

It was still shit.

Edit: To be absolutely fair, we did a version of 'That 70s show' which, I think, actually got pulled mid first series because it was utterly shite.

It didn't help having it set in Luton.

• Like 1

I don't get it. What 's wrong with just importing the original and watching that?

I don't get it. What 's wrong with just importing the original and watching that?

Certain things may not translate too well, I suppose?

I used to like 'The Wonder Years' but could never imagine it being made here and set in Cleethorpes or the like.

• Like 1

Certain things may not translate too well, I suppose?

I used to like 'The Wonder Years' but could never imagine it being made here and set in Cleethorpes or the like.

This is the thing. We don't do it as a rule, do we? We watch the original programme. If there is something unfamiliar, then it has broadened our knowledge of another culture.

• Like 1

Could be worse. The American Dr Who, I watched that. They made him a human American, called Mulder. Anyhow, it had lots of aliens which he saved Earth from, but I watched for the whole 9 years and the Daleks never fucking showed up. :(:lol:

• Like 3

Could be worse. The American Dr Who, I watched that. They made him a human American, called Mulder. Anyhow, it had lots of aliens which he saved Earth from, but I watched for the whole 9 years and the Daleks never fucking showed up. :(:lol:

Ah yes, that fellow. I thought I saw him in Marks & Spencers in Southampton once, then I realised it was Dan Petrescu.

• Like 2

In general the UK doesn't remake US sitcoms; we just show the originals. One time we tried was Brighton Belles, which was a remake of the classic The Golden Girls. The original had Betty White and Estelle Getty; ours had Wendy Craig and the mother out of Bread. Crashed and burned and was taken off air halfway through its run.

Brighton Belles is a notorious bomb in UK sitcom history, yeah. There are a few other examples though: Good Times was remade as The Fosters which was the first "black" British sitcom (cast including Norman Beaton, who would go on to star in the definitive Afro-Carribnean-Brit sit Desmond's); Married... with Children was remade as Married for Life and they cast Russ Abbott in the lead role - it was as good as that sounds; and of course Who's The Boss became The Upper Hand, starring 2017 DL draftee Honor Blackman.

Of course if you want absolute travesties look at the British versions of Impractical Jokers (twice they've remade it with a UK cast now, twice it has been one of the worst TV shows of the year) and The Soup (hard to imagine a bigger downgrade than Joel McHale to Iain Lee).

• Like 1