Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Tuskegee Airmen

8 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Hilton Carter, a member of the Tuskegee Airmen who went on to a distinguished career of public service after World War II, has died.  He was 91.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/may/14/tuskegee-airman-hilton-carter-was-91

I thought I posted this on Wednesday (3 days ago) apparently not.  

“One of the last”. Lol. Guarantee we’ll be hearing that for at least 20 others.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Stephen Lawrence, a Tuskegee Airman-turned-minister and motivational speaker, has died. He was 98. Lawrence was drafted into the army in 1943, due to his experience as a welder. 

https://www.gainesville.com/news/20200611/tuskegee-airman-stephen-lawrence-dies-at-98

You forgot to say "one of the last" this time :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You forgot to say "one of the last" this time :lol:

Wasn't in the text. For all we know, there's a whole community of them congregating in Gainesville and it may be years before the term applies. I could be posting these into the next decade. :angel2:

James Cotten a Tuskegee Airman who rose to the rank of Chief Master Sergeant and who served 21 active military duty & 45 more years with the defense department, died August 14th. He was 93. In 2012, Cotten was presented the Congressional Gold Medal for his service with the Tuskegee Airmen.

https://newjerseyglobe.com/in-memoriam/james-cotten-new-jerseyan-who-served-with-tuskegee-airmen-dies-at-93/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

"one of the last surviving members of the Tuskegee Airmen"

Joined this forum 12 years ago and I swear I have read this line at least once every 6 months.

So bored of it now... and it's still not true. I'm watching the Wiki pages of at least 5 Tuskegee Airmen, and they're just ones of particular note. On top of that there must be quite a few others still kicking about.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Joined this forum 12 years ago and I swear I have read this line at least once every 6 months.

So bored of it now... and it's still not true. I'm watching the Wiki pages of at least 5 Tuskegee Airmen, and they're just ones of particular note. On top of that there must be quite a few others still kicking about.

Given its overuse, I decided to put the direct quotes around it, They are not my words but those of at least one of the articles reporting on his death.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Given its overuse, I decided to put the direct quotes around it, They are not my words but those of at least one of the articles reporting on his death.

I did notice that and thought that might be the reason. I'm criticising these half arsed journalists, not you. :D

• Like 1

The absurdity of ‘one of the last’ redundancies is precisely why I started the thread.  That said, there should be less than 15 remaining.  Also, I think the veracity if claims can be questioned in certain cases (not the recent one though) as the media relies on statements from survivors.  My family tree has a perpetuated lie that made the newspaper, so I know the drill personally.

SC

57 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

The absurdity of ‘one of the last’ redundancies is precisely why I started the thread.  That said, there should be less than 15 remaining.  Also, I think the veracity if claims can be questioned in certain cases (not the recent one though) as the media relies on statements from survivors.  My family tree has a perpetuated lie that made the newspaper, so I know the drill personally.

SC

Are you and alt obits guy the same person?

You used to post a lot of “alternative” type obits of people copy and pasted from Google and then stopped all of a sudden. Then alt obits guy appeared and seems to do the same thing now....

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You used to post a lot of “alternative” type obits of people copy and pasted from Google and then stopped all of a sudden. Then alt obits guy appeared and seems to do the same thing now....

no :(

just other things going on, and many others including the aforementioned picking up the slack.  So I don’t bother too often.  

On 17/09/2020 at 09:26, Ulitzer95 said:

We are most definitely two different people. :D

10 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Irma "Pete" Cameron, who served as a nurse to the Tuskegee Airmen, has died. She was 100.

https://www.ajc.com/news/obituaries/irma-pete-cameron-dryden-100-nurse-to-tuskegee-airmen/LDMHU46WUVFXFNVK7YAOKTXOI4/

Everyone wants in on the Tuskegee Airmen action, even those who never flew!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Everyone wants in on the Tuskegee Airmen action, even those who never flew!

I guess in your mind nurses and physicians weren’t part of the war effort cuz they weren’t marching around with guns.

SC

Rudolph 'Val' Archer, a "member of the famed Tuskegee Airmen with ties to Atlanta" and "who had been documented as an original member of the famed 332nd Fighter Group and 100th Fighter Squadron spanning World War II, Korea and Vietnam", has died.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/national/military-news/tuskegee-airman-val-archer-dies/85-363e4a84-0d47-41b9-9716-e31c1e5be5ab

• Like 1

Elmer Ross,  who "served with the 332nd Composite Bomb Group of the Tuskegee Airmen, and completed his service in the Pacific Theater as a fireman in the Crash Station", has died. He was 91. Ross "continued to pursue his passion for flying by obtaining his private pilot's license and maintaining his bond with his beloved Tuskegee Airmen for as long as he could participate."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/obituaries/ross-elmer/C3A62FL74VHJFA2EOLJX76IOPA/

• Like 2