The Dead Cow

Inverse Dead Pool 2017

INVERSE DEAD POOL 2017

In preparation for the 2017 competition I thought it would be a good idea to create a new thread. Mostly because I got rather muddled by the title of the previous one, but also because I really wanted to create a new thread.

Rules

• From the list of the 50 most popular DDP picks of 2017, pick a team of 25 names who you think will survive the year.
  • Rank your list in order of least likely to die to least least likely to die.
  • Post your team in this thread.
  • If someone dies and they are listed on your team, then you will receive points according to their position. If you're #1 pick dies you'll receive 25 points, whilst if you're #25 pick dies you'll receive 1 point. If someone dies and they are not on your list, then you receive no points.
  • Whoever has the lowest score at the end of the year is the winner.

Credit to Toast for inadvertently coming up with a peach of a topic description, and of course, credit to Spade for creating this wonderful game.

Previous Winners

2016 - Pedro67

2015 - Death Impends

2014 - Bibliogryphon

2013 - N/A

2012 - Esturian Float

2011 - Garn2

Top 50

Al-Baghdadi, Abu Bakr

Banks, Gordon

Benedict XVI, Pope Emeritus

Berkowitz, Daisy

Berry, Chuck

Booth, Tony

Bracknell, Leah

Brady, Ian

Bush, George H.W

Campbell, Glen

Carter, Jimmy

Christie, Errol

Day, Doris

de Havilland, Olivia

Doherty, Shannen

Douglas, Kirk

Downie, Gord

Elizabeth II, Queen

Fawkes, Helen

Forsyth, Bruce

Gascoigne, Paul

Gilbert, Greg

Graham, Rev. Billy

Harper, Valerie

Hawking, Stephen

Hefner, Hugh

James, Clive

Karl Stefansson, Stefan

Kilmer, Val

Lamotta, Jake

Lansbury, Angela

Lee, Stan

Lewis, Jerry

Lynn, Vera

Meads, Colin

Michael I, King of Romania

Mugabe, Robert

Norden, Denis

Philip, Prince

Ricksen, Fernando

Sallis, Peter

Scales, Prunella

Skellern, Peter

Snuka, Jimmy

Stiles, Nobby

Trump, Donald

Tyler Moore, Mary

Van Der Westhuizen, Joost

Wetton, John

Van Dyke, Dick

No more entries will be accepted

• Like 9

Bring it! Although I think this year it might be even more difficult to predict, there's a heck of a lot of good candidates this year if they make the top 50.

• Like 3

So refreshing to have a place where we are hoping our people do not die :)

• Like 9

Ah I do like the Inverse Deadpool.

• Like 3

Very much looking forward to playing this again this year.

Do you all think many of this years 'certainties' will make the top 50 ? Seems more team entrants are doing serious research (more players in all DL games/pools), but enough you think to push the Cowards, Skellern's etc into the 50 ? Could be we are all picking 25 from a much reduced effective pool.

• Like 1

Very much looking forward to playing this again this year.Do you all think many of this years 'certainties' will make the top 50 ? Seems more team entrants are doing serious research (more players in all DL games/pools), but enough you think to push the Cowards, Skellern's etc into the 50 ? Could be we are all picking 25 from a much reduced effective pool.

Probably not. If anything, I guess there would be more non dead certs due to the increase of teams. Yes, a lot of us have a bunch of dead certs on our team, but remember, we only make up like 5% of the teams. And most people would be choosing more household names. So more Kirk Douglas and less Joey Feek if you know what I mean.

Very much looking forward to playing this again this year.Do you all think many of this years 'certainties' will make the top 50 ? Seems more team entrants are doing serious research (more players in all DL games/pools), but enough you think to push the Cowards, Skellern's etc into the 50 ? Could be we are all picking 25 from a much reduced effective pool.

Probably not. If anything, I guess there would be more non dead certs due to the increase of teams. Yes, a lot of us have a bunch of dead certs on our team, but remember, we only make up like 5% of the teams. And most people would be choosing more household names. So more Kirk Douglas and less Joey Feek if you know what I mean.

Cough Joey Feek cough

I do agree with your general point, but I do find it interesting what terminal cases break into the more general conscience, as it were.

• Like 1

I can't wait.

• Like 2

Re the convo about popular competitive names and Drop 40 overlap. Looking at Drop 40 selections who also featured on podium-placed teams for the previous 10 DDPs (though I did this at a glance so may have missed a few names):

2016: Angelil, M Crowe, Feek, R Ford, Granger, Marks

2015: Aherne, M Crowe, Granger, Simon

2014: Castro, K Crowe, Dawn, Farmiloe, Fawkes, Gabor, Rev Graham, Granger, Harper, C James, Jardine, Jaruzelski, W Johnson, Kasem, Simon, van der Westhuizen

2013: Biggs, Bush, Cecil, Chavez, Cliburn, B Franklin, Gabor, C James, Jaruzelski, Mandela, Nolan, Winner

2012: Al Megrahi, Chavez, Dunn, Gabor, Gibb, G Hughes, E James, Mandela, P Marshall, Stynes, Thatcher, A Williams

2011: Al Megrahi, Ballesteros, Biggs, M Douglas, Falk, B Ford, A Franklin, Gabor, Rev Graham, Hitchens, G Hughes, P Marshall

2010: Al Megrahi, Ballesteros, Biggs, Dio, Gascoigne, Rev Graham, J Hartson, Hawking, Hopper, Jobs, MacCorkindale, Rubinstein, S Payne, Thatcher, Wisdom (2 teams tied for 3rd)

2009: Ali, Al Megrahi, Atkins, Ballesteros, Castro, K Douglas, B Ford, Goody, Rev Graham, T Kennedy, W Richard, Robson, Shamir, Sharon, Swayze, Thatcher, Wisdom (2 teams tied for 3rd)

2008: Castro, Christodoulos, Fawcett, Gabor, Heston, Pinter, Robson, R Watson

2007: al-Bandar, al-Tikriti, Bakker Messner, Biggs, Castro, Doherty, Pavarotti, Sharon, L Taylor, Tomlinson

So it varies, but lots of these names happened to be frail old people given the competitive scene's only fine-tuned to its current degree very recently. Which certainly is a good reason to bring the Drop 40 bonus in. But on average I'd say the amt of these picks with very bad if not terminal cancers seems to be 4-7 (but there'll always be some more in the 41-50 slots). And to be fair, Feek being so high up in the Drop 40 last year can be a sign that even the more casual players may be wisening up to the task...

• Like 3

Kris Travis who was probably barely known to anyone outside of this forum or people who follow the Indy Wrestling scene in the UK was picked by 22 teams last years.That amount was just 4 picks short of the mass of names who tied for 47th in 2016 . If he was that close to a top 50 spot I am guessing those with equal or more known name ID in the UK like Ricketts,Coward,Robbie Rotten,Hewlett etc if they don't make the top 50 would only miss by a fraction. Should be interesting, as I think the cut off in amount of picks for 50th may be lower just cause of how many popular picks died last year.

• Like 1

Get excited folks.

I am. :party:

jumping_smiley04.gif

• Like 3

Hope I do well the first time (now that I said that, Paul Gascoigne will die to piss me off...)

Raring to go as this will be my first pool on this forum having missed the window on another one. Sure I'm going to stuff it up though. :rolleyes:

Raring to go as this will be my first pool on this forum having missed the window on another one. Sure I'm going to stuff it up though. :rolleyes:

Why not enter The Generation Game Pool? Can start a team at any time.

Why not enter The Generation Game Pool? Can start a team at any time.

Ooh... yes I remember something mentioned about that. I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks!

• Like 1

Far too tired to work out 41-50 right now, so I'll get to that in the morning and will update the original post then.

• Like 4

Cough Joey Feek cough

I do agree with your general point, but I do find it interesting what terminal cases break into the more general conscience, as it were.

Seems my hunch wasn't far wrong, judging by the first forty we see with Bracknell, Christie, Downie, Snuka, Skellern, Wetton all in. It's going to be a close run thing this year.

Get excited folks.

I am. :party:

jumping_smiley04.gif

I'm as excited as Toast!

Anywhere but here that carries the exact opposite connotation

SC

• Like 1

And we are at the starting gate....

And we're off.

Top 50 are in the OP as intended. You've got a week to enter.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Here's my team.

1. Dick Van Dyke

2. Helen Fawkes

3. Val Kilmer

4. Paul Gascoigne

5. Daisy Berkowitz

6. Hugh Hefner

7. Bruce Forsyth

8. Kirk Douglas

9. Prunella Scales