Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

Let Us Bet On The Oscars 'in Memoriam' Package

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/last-person-in-memoriam

Bwin has a market on who will be the last person depicted in the 'In Memoriam' montage, Prince 4/1 favourite, my boy Bud Spencer a 33/1 outsider. Surely Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds (together) are a lock? Except they're not listed ("other odds are available on request"). Is there any possible situation in which it won't be Fisher and Debs for the big rousing finale? If it'd just been Carrie on her own, I could have seen an argument for Gene Wilder or Michael Cimino getting the spot, but not when there's a two-fer.

The last person in the "In Memoriam" package for the past five years. 2013 (2012 I suppose) wasn't a classic year for showbiz death, huh?

2016: Leonard Nimoy
2015: Mike Nichols
2014: Philip Seymour Hoffman
2013: Marvin Hamlisch
2012: Liz Taylor
  • Like 1

If Kirk Douglas dies before the Oscars it's going to be him. If he doesn't die, then it might be Gene Wilder? George Kennedy? Maybe Fisher/Reynolds like you said? I have no idea tbh.

2013's a Borgnine shaped snub!

It'll be someone yet to die, imo. I'm more interested in who they snub. Abe Vigoda last year.

It'll be someone yet to die, imo. I'm more interested in who they snub. Abe Vigoda last year.

It was only business. They always liked him.

• Like 3

Biggest snub this year: Liz Smith.

End of package: Hard to see past Debbie Reynolds atm.

Biggest snub this year: Liz Smith.

End of package: Hard to see past Debbie Reynolds atm.

tbf she is only famous in uk.
  • Like 1

Biggest snub will be Alan Young

I think instead of mum/daughter together Carrie Fisher will be the final image and Reynolds will go 1st.

I can't see them not finishing with Fisher/Reynolds, but of those listed, I'd put an each-way on Robert Vaughan.

I don't think Prince will be shown. The deceased has to be a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to qualify.

Gotta be Reynolds for the golden age, SInging in the Rain schtick + Fisher helps promote the Star Wars franchise.

• Like 1

I don't think Prince will be shown. The deceased has to be a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to qualify.

He was one of the biggest music stars of the 20th Century and a former Oscar winner,the outrage in the media the day after would be enormous if he didn't get a mention.

Now, here's a thought.

If Poitier goes, would they end with him after the diversity controversy last year?

Agreed, Carrie/Debbie two-fer seems the most likely in my view. If it's not that then my guess is Gene Wilder (or maybe he'll be the "start with someone big" name?).

Also didn't Michael Jackson get in the Oscars In Memoriam? With the rationale even being "the This Is It movie made after his death was pretty popular!" If they put him in it I can't see them leaving Prince out.

Now, here's a thought.

If Poitier goes, would they end with him after the diversity controversy last year?

Dunno, but this is why I'm gonna shove a few quid on Denzel beating Gosling to the Best Actor gong this year.

The average Oscar voter is in his 60s and probably looked like Jonan Hill or DQ Qualls when he was young, Gosling probably didn't stand much of a chance to win Best Actor with or without Denzel among the nominees.

Debbie Reynolds will be shown penultimately then finishing off with Carrie Fisher.

Yeah, difficult to follow the Fisher/Reynolds one-two. How often does that happen?

Yeah, difficult to follow the Fisher/Reynolds one-two. How often does that happen?

Only other occasion I can think of is the 2012 Emmys "In Memoriam" reel, which used one clip for both Ron Palillo and Robert Hegyes (of Welcome Back Kotter). Not exactly names on the Fisher/Reynolds level though, they were tossed away at around 1:30.

Only other occasion I can think of is the 2012 Emmys "In Memoriam" reel, which used one clip for both Ron Palillo and Robert Hegyes (of Welcome Back Kotter). Not exactly names on the Fisher/Reynolds level though, they were tossed away at around 1:30.

Never heard of them, but as far as I can see, all they have in common is that they were in the same show and died in the same year, months apart.

Hardly in the same class as mother and daughter dying within 24 hours of each other of different natural causes.

This is likewise in the "two actors from the same show died in the same timespan" category and nowhere near as remarkable as Fisher and Reynolds but last year's Emmys used one clip for Noel Neill and Jack Larson, both from The Adventures of Superman. Mid-reel deaths like the Kotter Sweathogs, and technically they didn't even die in the same year, just that Larson died late enough in 2015 to be carried over into next year (and he might've not made the cut were it not for Neill also dying).

Probably the most interesting entertainment deaths in terms of timing I can think of after Fisher and Reynolds was when McLean Stevenson (Henry Blake on TV's M*A*S*H) and Roger Bowen (Henry Blake in the film M*A*S*H) died a day apart but given one role was film and the other TV you couldn't really put them on the same reel and certainly couldn't share a clip.

He was one of the biggest music stars of the 20th Century and a former Oscar winner,the outrage in the media the day after would be enormous if he didn't get a mention.

I never knew he won an Oscar but I've never really followed his career.

I never knew he won an Oscar but I've never really followed his career.

It was for music - Best Original Score for 'Purple Rain', I think.

Do Oscar-winning musicians get into the In Memoriam thing, or is it just actors and directors?

Tom Hiddleston's career.

Will it be right next to that long awaited in memoriam tribute to Michael Barrymore's career.

Carrie and Debbie will finish it together, probably a scene from a movie or documentary where they kiss or say something together. Bud Spencer won't be included for sure, there's a list on the official page of the Academy In Memoriam people and he's not listed, Prince will be shown because of his impact on pop culture and Purple Rain movie and so on....there will be a big number of snubs this year.

• Like 1