msc

The Deathlist Cup

Ok, I thought for a moment this morning Deathray had come up with the same exact idea, but alas, no. What I'd like to propose is a Deathlist Forum version of the FA Cup, a straight knockout tournament between forum members, in which, over several months, we crown the winner of the first Deathlist Cup. This is an idea which works well in many fantasy football games and prediction games across the internet, so with a wee bit of tweaking, should work for deadpooling.

I know MPFC mooted the idea several years ago, and I was waiting for someone to suggest the idea, but no one has. So I have.

All you need to do right now is post in this thread with a declaration of interest in taking part in the tournament. The deadline for that is midnight on the 20th January. And the deadline slams shut like the transfer window on Sky Sports News! No need to put a team together before then. A simple "Aye that sounds like fun, count me in" will suffice. On the 21st January, I will do a random draw of the people who are taking part to determine The First Round, and from that point, you have ten days to put together your First Eleven for the match.

Some Basic Rules which I've tried to explain as simply as possible, but which are open for questions about how obvious things I've forgotten work.

The Deathlist Cup

1. This will be a knockout tournament featuring one on one matchups between Deathlist forum posters. These matches will be determined by use of a random draw, using Random.org.

2. Players, on receiving their randomly drawn opponent, will have a ten day period to send the Referee their First Eleven for the match by PM, and one sub in case of an early death. These eleven picks can be very low hanging fruit if you so wish, as the point of the game is to score as many “goals” during the month a match is played.

3. Each match will take place over the course of a single month. For example, a February match would take place from February 1st to February 28th (or 29th on a leap year), a March match from March 1st to March 31st and so on...

4. Games will be scored in the following manner:

A person in your team dies = 2 point
    A person famously only for dying dies = 1 point (ie 1 point penalty)
    A unique person in your team dies = 1 more point (ie 1 bonus point)

5. At the end of the month, the player in the match with the highest score wins that game, and will advance to the next round. The player who doesn’t have the highest score will lose, and be eliminated.

6. In the event of a draw, the following tiebreaks will be used:

1st tiebreak = number of hits
    2nd tiebreak = average age of hits
    3rd tiebreak = flip of a coin
    4th tiebreak if needed = asking my child which team has the cooler name (heh)

7. A player is only held to one team for a single match. If they win their match and advance to the next round, they may pick eleven entirely different people for the next round. In this way, folk who announce their terminal illness in, say, May, can be put to good deadpooling use.

8. Qualifying obits? Every single English language newspaper in the universe. Also Le Monde and the biggest selling newspaper in Germany (Die Zeit?).

9. As KO tournaments run in the following pattern 2/4/8/16/32/etc, then, if we have an uneven number of competitors, the remaining spots in the First Round will be taken by BYEs, and again, the people who get byes into Round 2 will be random.

Example

Spade, msc, Deathray and JoeyRuss hypothetically take part.

Random.org gives us these matches:

1. Spade Cooley v msc (feck)
  2. Deathray v JoeyRuss

This draw takes place in Month 1 (ie January) and is for matches taking place in Month 2 (February). After the draw, each player sends The Referee (ie msc) a team of Eleven Celebrities they think will snuff it in Month 2.

Then, for the results:

Joey scores in Month 2 with a cancer mum, a big name celebrity and a unique world leader.

Deathray gets a unique big name celebrity.

The score is 6-3 to Joey, who advances to the next round.

Well, it's worth a shot. Unless we get over 64 competitors - highly unlikely - we should be able to crown a winner well before December.

• Like 7

I'll come up with a team later today. Great idea :)

• Like 1

I'll come up with a team later today. Great idea :)

Cool, though remember, you don't send a team in until the First Round is drawn.

• Like 1

Sound. In.

• Like 1

I love this.

• Like 1

What class as only famous for being ill and dying. I'm not playing him this round, but if selected someone like Ben Suisala, would he qualify as famous for being ill and dying or as actual celebrity due to the fact he is a rugby hopeful.

The deadline for that is midnight on the 20th January.

Ah, my 18th birthday - love it!

I'm up for it. Sounds like bloody good fun.

• Like 1

What class as only famous for being ill and dying. I'm not playing him this round, but if selected someone like Ben Suisala, would he qualify as famous for being ill and dying or as actual celebrity due to the fact he is a rugby hopeful.

I shall use the "hit by a bus" method to determine that ie, if the person was hit by a bus would they get an obit.

Well, of course they would: Person Killed by Bus. But you know what I mean. Suisala, to my mind, would get a Promising Rugby Player obit in that case, whereas Dr Mark S1ms, for example, probably wouldn't. The cancer mums are far more obvious, but for the grey areas, people may appeal to the Referee for a judgement on fame, and his view will be final.

I'd decided to avoid more dead pools than HPDP, DDP and Deathrace but I'm up for this!

• Like 1

Ok I'm in but hoping for a bye in the first round.

And all the way to the final he he.

• Like 1

"Aye that sounds like fun, count me in"

• Like 1

A quarterfinals worth of entrants already, and swiftly filling up a potential Last Sixteen - I say we've officially got ourselves a Cup then. No limit on the number of entrants though.

Sounds good, count me in.

• Like 1

Will submit a team in a week or so.

• Like 1

I don't think this is for me, as I foresee a lot of Bad Taste Picks culled (sorry) from topical news stories.

Not just the cancer mums, but victims of accidents, crime or terrorist activities. Not easy to forecast "normal" deaths to fit such a small window.

But I shall watch with interest and hope to be proved wrong.

I'm in. I had a similar idea a couple of weeks ago, but December is a bad time to start a new deadpool. I would have called it the Bullet Deadpool where the aim would have been to name the person to die next. And when he/she dies you get a point and name the next person, and so on.

Obviously, the head-to-head matchups make it far more exciting.

• Like 1

I don't think this is for me, as I foresee a lot of Bad Taste Picks culled (sorry) from topical news stories.

Not just the cancer mums, but victims of accidents, crime or terrorist activities. Not easy to forecast "normal" deaths to fit such a small window.

But I shall watch with interest and hope to be proved wrong.

I'd hope not. The closest examples to date were the games MPFC and Joey did (Midsummer/Advent) and while both had their share of FFD types, there were celeb hits within the month in both cases. Also, with the point penalty, we have the scenario where you might need three FFD types to equal a single well chosen name celeb. Each month around 5-10 big name celebs die, alongside 20-30 or so B-level or C-level name celebs. With each player putting in 11 names, we're statistically fairly likely to nab some of them by deft picking or dumb luck, given the once and done lists did.

I don't foresee Bad Taste Picks overwhelming the game any more than they do the Deathrace (which I won in 2015 without a single FFD type), but I hope the game will prove you wrong! Also, I didn't say "don't pick kids" because I have taken for granted that the folk on here aren't complete cunts who need to be told that.

• Like 2

So here is, at least from what I see, the list of confirmed entrants, just to have a list out here:

• Bibliogryphon
  • CaptainChorizo
  • charon
  • Chopped Liver
  • The Dead Cow
  • deadsox
  • Death Impends
  • Deathray
  • DevonDeathTrip
  • Garn2
  • gcreptile
  • Grim Up North
  • Heef
  • JiroemKimura
  • joeyruss
  • maryportfuncity
  • Morbidkid
  • msc
  • Pedro67
  • RadGuy
  • rockhopperpenguin
  • RoverAndOut
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Spade_Cooley
  • Switch
  • YoungWilz

This is also to see who I could potentially face (hopefully not DDT, he's a god at these things).

Okay if you'd had 16 teams I would have passed but as you're already at 17 - I'm in (please)!

20th January is Mrs Grim Up North's 50th birthday so exactly 32 years older than The Dead Cow.

(I probably won't mention on her card that she is 32 years older than The Dead Cow though).

• Like 3