msc

The Deathlist Cup

PS Sometimes the tactic of swapping out your own for others' picks can go horribly wrong. I spent most of March waiting for Anne Hamilton-Byrne to die which would have meant Captain Chorizo would have beaten me so I subbed out Kath Osborne and brought in A H-B.

KO died in April, A H-B didn't. 

So that's two whole months I've spent searching the internet for news of A H-B's death - FFS I need to get a life!!

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

So that's two whole months I've spent searching the internet for news of A H-B's death - FFS I need to get a life!!

That reminds me of how I spent the last two weeks of April checking Indonesian Twitter and Indonesian news websites about the condition of my unique pick Julia Perez, many times a day.

On April 21st, I decided to post about her poor condition on this thread just because I thought there was no way she'd survive the month.

But of course, she made a bit of a recovery, and lived into May. I lost the Cup round, and now she's a unique for someone else - DDT. 

• Like 1

A shot shy start for Death Impends meant it took him a whole 46 hours to get a hit in the Semifinals. Slacking! :D

DDT vs Deadsox 0-0

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 3-0

• Like 2

Well, the only surprise is that it took until now.

Some post third round analysis.

There were 54 different picks out of 8 teams (88 team members) so a 61.4% ratio.

Out of those 54 there are 35 uniques (64.8%).

Of the 54, 14 died (26% - more than double the previous monthly hit rate for rounds 1 and 2) although no QO for Reid or Stros. Quite simply if you want to live you don't want to find yourself in a team in The Deathlist Cup.

Of the 35 uniques, 8 died (23%) although one was Reid. Rounds One and Two this was 5% and 6% and perhaps reflects the top quality Dead Poolers getting serious.

At the other end of the spectrum of the 7 people selected by 3 or more teams, 2 died (29%). This stat has proved fairly consistent round to round.

I'd suggest that to win you need the popular picks in your team but to survive to the later stages you also need to be able to fill the remaining places with your own 'finds' (or be Deadsox :D). 

For the semi finals

There are 32 different picks out of 4 teams (44 team members) so a 73% ratio meaning a greater spread of selections in each match.

Out of those 32 there are 24 uniques (75%). Obviously the less team the more likely uniques but also the better dead poolers have the ability and confidence to search for their own names rather than the popular picks that permeate the forum. 

I thought it was possible by now that all the teams would be similar based on picks from previous rounds but the opposite has in fact happened.

This month we're down to a top 8 chosen by more than one team (last month's ranking in brackets).

1. Catherine Nevin (1)

2.= Michael of Romania (4=)

2.= Paul van Zandvliet (4=)

4.= Al - Baghdadi (New Entry)

4.= Bracknell (Chart Returner)

4.= Christie (3)

4.= Downie (2)

4.= Noriega (New Entry) 

Other than Lakovic and Vennari who died the 5 survivors from last month's charts remained in this month's version.

I won't do this again because the number of teams now doesn't make it meaningful (if it ever was!!!).

• Like 3

Enjoyable stuff though, Grim - add some nice background stats which I didn't have time to do.

On 02/05/2017 at 10:56, Grim Up North said:

PS Sometimes the tactic of swapping out your own for others' picks can go horribly wrong. I spent most of March waiting for Anne Hamilton-Byrne to die which would have meant Captain Chorizo would have beaten me so I subbed out Kath Osborne and brought in A H-B.

KO died in April, A H-B didn't. 

Nah, stay in and do nowt - if you go outside it's still grim up north!

Incidentally; I've got A H-B as a unique pick on the DDP so I'll be doing the same trawling until December unless she obiges us all before that.

One of those names I've literally only heard of because of deadpoolers. A sort of Australian Fred Phelps type?

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:41, msc said:

One of those names I've literally only heard of because of deadpoolers. A sort of Australian Fred Phelps type?

Aye, that's about the size of it - though obviously; this one's female

Amount of hits by the 13th of the month:

February: 8

March: 5

April: 5

May: 1

20 hours ago, RadGuy said:

Amount of hits by the 13th of the month:

February: 8

March: 5

April: 5

May: 1

I guess most of the low hanging fruit is already on the ground.

According to her sister's FB page, Michelle Purchase died a couple days ago. Deadsox had her this round, an obit is... unlikely... to say the least.

That's gotta be a Mirror staffer who browses this forum just earning their Sunday wage right?

• Like 6

Two points for Deadsox then. Is he going to Portugal 2016 the Deathlist Cup? (Solid defence, nabbing it on the break...)

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 3-0

• Like 2

While originally I thought not picking Van-Zandvliet and Perez would be the death of deadsox, I'm starting to think both of them could survive the month.

• Like 1

Deadsox for the win!

• Like 1

Onetime Cricket Earl Sinks has stopped chirping. However that obit is from a funeral home rather than a paper so fingers crossed something more likely to qualify will turn up in due time.

Letele slices into the deficit for Heef, but he might have a "sinking" feeling in the near future should a QO show up...

DDT vs Deadsox 0-2

William Henry Harrison Die-in-a-Month Squad (Death Impends) vs Heef 3-2

I assumed Vicki would be worth 3 points as a former NZ rugby league representative. Her death has certainly made headline news in NZ (even a breaking news banner on the main news site stuff.co.nz)

1 hour ago, Heef said:

I assumed Vicki would be worth 3 points as a former NZ rugby league representative. Her death has certainly made headline news in NZ (even a breaking news banner on the main news site stuff.co.nz)

I'd like to agree, but all the obits call her "prisoner who fought for compassionate release due to cancer".

Hmm, the press I looked at said she was a jailbird fraudster with compassionate release, with no reference to her prior fame?