msc

The Deathlist Cup

Blimey, with 10 days left of the Cup, Deadsox has so far proved quite good at shutting down opponents.

• Like 3

Just now, msc said:

Blimey, with 10 days left of the Cup, Deadsox has so far proved quite good at shutting down opponents.

I think Deadsox is a vastly underrated dead pooler. He made the top 20 every year since 2012, and have top ten performances in 2007, 2009, and 2015. He's not new at this, and he's pretty good. 

• Like 2

I have only just now found out that Deadsox is Deceased Hose from the DDP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I think Deadsox is a vastly underrated dead pooler. He made the top 20 every year since 2012, and have top ten performances in 2007, 2009, and 2015. He's not new at this, and he's pretty good. 

Gee whiz, Joey, thanks (blush).

• Like 1

Have to chuckle, my entire team from Round 1 are all still alive.

And ready to take the field come January 2018 again.

• Like 5

8 hours left of the Deathlist Cup.

Death Impends leaving his traditional last minute comeback to the last, I see.

• Like 2

Go Deadsox. :clap::clap::clap:

• Like 2

Unless there happens to be a surprise deluge in the next 12 minutes, I'd like to congratulate deadsox on his win. :) 

• Like 1

giphy-32.gif

That's right, Paddington: the Cup has been hammered shut. Lots of people tried, and failed, and we have the winner of our first ever Deathlist Cup!

whinnie-the-pooh-wait.gif

The crowds are excited!

Congratulations Deadsox, our 2017 Deathlist Cup winner!

nREY3SV.gif

Soup Dragon hands over the Cup.

Now, everyone congratulate the winner. May he forever go down in Deathlist history as the winner of a Deathlist game.

Right, done. Thanks! It's been a blast.

• Like 8

Congrats to Deadsox on a spectacular win in the first ever Deathlist Cup. :party::clap:

At the end of March, few expected him to make it far after a 0-0 draw with Pedro.

But he went on to beat the three best deadpoolers on these forums. Spade, followed by DDT, and now DI. 

Condolences to DI on his loss. You played very, very well. I believe you were the only Cup player to ever reach double digits.

Good luck to all my fellow competitors next time, see you in February. Hopefully I'll do better than this time around. :P 

• Like 2

A hearty congrats to deadsox on his impressive underdog campaign. :clap:And as it turns out, the Diane Torr predicament was irrelevant to the end result - even if she lasted another day, or were her death announced on the 1st, deadsox would still have prevailed.

Fun competition, hope to see it return next year. I liked having a pool besides Deathrace/Hare's that allowed you to utilize more eclectic, obscure names.

• Like 5

Congrats deadsox and indeed to all who played.

I had a great time sitting back for 6 months, now I'm running two pools! :facepalm:

• Like 3

I'm very excited to have won the first Deathlist Cup.  I just had a shot of scotch out of my skull shot glass (say that 3 times fast).  Thanks to msc for creating a format that gives everyone a chance and lets Lady Luck have a hand.  She certainly helped me (a bye, a coin flip after no hits, and then catching three more great players in lucky spots). 

Thanks to Pedro, Spade, DDT and Death Impends for your sportsmanship.  Thanks to everyone who competed.  Most of all, thanks to Emma Morano, Sasha Lakovic, Michelle Purchase, Paul van Zandvliet and especially Julia Perez for giving their all for the team.

I'm hoping that under the circumstances, I'll get a bye next year.

• Like 8

I believe it is a convention for champions to get byes in the first round (see the Champions League, FA Cup, and ignore the flaws). Of course, we don't know the numbers for 2018 yet: might be 32! Might be 0, of course.

Beating the big 3 of the forum back to back was an incredible achievement, and one I certainly didn't think was possible. A good way to crown our first champion, I think.

• Like 6

Congratulations, Deadsox! Well done! Thank you msc for hosting. A welcome addition to the ...deadpooling circuit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Fun competition, hope to see it return next year. I liked having a pool besides Deathrace/Hare's that allowed you to utilize more eclectic, obscure names.

Here here.

Congratultions to DeadSox!

Great tournament, well run and interesting to boot. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Congrats on winning Deadsox

• Like 1

Proud to have gone out to Deadsox, Well done chap.

At least I give you a close run game (very tounge in cheek there) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pedro67 said:

Proud to have gone out to Deadsox, Well done chap.

At least I give you a close run game (very tounge in cheek there) 

Thanks Pedro.  You were the only opponent I didn't actually beat.  I'm lucky also that msc decided to do a best of 5 coin flips. If he had done only one (which I would have used) I would have lost.

Are we thinking of going again with this pool? I think the rules were going to be tweaked, so before I start limbering up an eleven....:duck:

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Are we thinking of going again with this pool? I think the rules were going to be tweaked, so before I start limbering up an eleven....:duck:

Yes, it will be back, and the invitation is (now) currently open for champion @deadsox and runner up @Death Impends to be involved.

The rule change is a mere tweak: a successful hit will now be worth 3 points, not 2. Unique hits will still bring you a bonus point, so 4 points. Famous Only For Dying, which will have the same definition as last year (ie, if they had fame for anything no matter how obscure pre-illness, they dont qualify for this) will give you 1 point AND Famous Only for Dying picks WILL NOT be eligible for the unique bonus. So your Lisa Magills and Shameless picks can only give a competitor 1 point, whereas all the folk with some form of notoriety bring 3 or 4 points.

But anyhow, that's for a thread at some point in mid-January.

• Like 3

Rest assured I'll be raring to go again for the 2017 Cup.

Good to see the value of FFBIs neutered even further with the boost to the famous picks. It might not need much usage with the tweaks, but I'd also like to suggest a non-FFBI tiebreaker - ie, a team with a unique celebrity hit would prevail over a team with a common knowledge celebrity and a cancer mum.

Aye, I've got a fair few things on one way and another but might well give this one a go again.