Joey Russ

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2017

Already seeing debates on some possible misses for the committee, so I decided to make a thread on this topic to discuss.

• Like 1

Fuck it's early for this one. But let's get in before the moaners arrive.

Mario Soares - extent of his ill health not known when the list was probably compiled.

Peter Starstedt - Not deathlisty enough, few minor hits in his heyday but not a household name.

Clare Hollingworth - see Peter Starstedt - not Deathlisty enough; cracking journalist but let's be honest apart from deadpoolers and other journalists and your nan who saw a few documentaries/read her biography in the 1970/80s who'd remember her?

You could say the same - more so, arguably - of Chapman Pincher, but it's not a point of contention.

• Like 2

Mario Soares - extent of his ill health not known when the list was probably compiled.

Peter Starstedt - Not deathlisty enough, few minor hits in his heyday but not a household name.

Clare Hollingworth - see Peter Starstedt - not Deathlisty enough; cracking journalist but let's be honest apart from deadpoolers and other journalists and your nan who saw a few documentaries/read her biography in the 1970/80s who'd remember her?

BIt harsh on Hollingworth IMHO - you can't blame a 105 year old for falling off the radar and failing to scale the heights of her 28 year old self in 1939

• Like 1

Hollingworth is the biggest missed followed by Sarstedt and Soares.I mean people say they aren`t deathlisty enough but I mean Errol Christie is hardly an A lister.

• Like 3

I'm surprised by the omission of Sarstedt. He may have had only one major hit, but the song is iconic.

My personal take on those 3:

Mario Soares: He was discussed as the Grim Reaper said, but he said he didn't make the fame level bar. He was certainly ill enough though.

Peter Sarstedt: Not really a household name, and even if he was, I don't think he was that ill to be considered

Clare Hollingworth: She's probably the biggest name missed thus far, but how many times do they put journalists on their list? Not a lot from the lists I read.

• Like 1

Peter Sarstedt: Not really a household name, and even if he was, I don't think he was that ill to be considered

Of course he was, you twat. He died, didn't he? :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Mario Soares was the biggest miss by far. How they came to the conclusion that he wasn't famous enough amazes me.

• Like 2

Should've clarified publicly known. There's a reason why not a lot of top dead poolers selected him.

Mario Soares: Famous Portuguese politician who was practically dead and probably got left off list to avoid picking someone who might be dead already? Or perhaps because Portuwhere?

Peter Sarstedt - not nailed on to die - just one of the many potential dying people that the Committee didn't pick and who has died - they only get to pick 50.

Clare Hollingworth - was she actually ill or just 105? She's pretty dead now (well maybe not pretty, I've seen the photos) but just sticking famousish centenarians on the list because it must be their time soon is a bit shit and needs to be reserved for the super famous like the Queen.

Should've clarified publicly known. There's a reason why not a lot of top dead poolers selected him.

Well, in this case, it's because he didn't make it off the final 30 or so on the shortlist.

UK-singer (Peter Sarstedt) with a four-week-UK-No.1-hit shall not be deathlisty enough?

US-singer Etta James only peaked at No. 5 with the re-release of her only hit „I just want to make love to you“ in 1996, originally recorded in 1961.

She was the No.1 of the DL in 2012.

US-singer Lou Rawls was the No.1 spot of the 2006-DL. His biggest hit was a No. 10-hit in the UK and No. 2 in the US.

US-singer Warren Zevon never had any UK top 10 singles and only a No. 9-hit in the US – top spot on the DL in 2003.

Just sayin'.

• Like 4

James and Zevon (perhaps not so much Rawls) were both canonical musicians, regarded as among - if not the - best in their respective fields and had huge fanbases both in life and death. Sarstedt sang the worst fucking song ever.

• Like 3

Yeah. Etta James, despite not charting that high in the U.K., is now often considered to be one of the greatest singers of all time, with At Last being one of the most iconic songs ever. Most people at least heard Werewolves of London if not anything else by Zevon, and even then, he's still respected in his field. Rawls I think it's more of he's definitely ill and he was known enough in the U.K. to make it. Sarstedt might be Rawls level fame, but definitely not Zevon or James, who are far more famous than him.

James and Zevon (perhaps not so much Rawls) were both canonical musicians, regarded as among - if not the - best in their respective fields and had huge fanbases both in life and death. Sarstedt sang the worst fucking song ever.

Be that as a may he did have a loyal following of fans of a certain age.

His illness was public knowledge and he was known to have been terminally ill for some time, so it won't surprise me if he has been a more popular pick this year.

PSP has a pretty dire prognosis and it was well known Sarstedt had had symptoms for several years.Also Hollingworth`s death has made the BBC News at 6 so I think she can definitely be counted as a miss.

• Like 1

Soares and Hollingworth were easy and obvious picks and should have been on the list. Both - particularly the latter - were definitely undoubtably famous enough and received UK obits.

It was like when Sir Nicholas Winton was left off, that was a really bad and glaringly obvious miss, too.

• Like 2

Hollingworth and Sarstedt big misses. Soares although on the brink was not that well known in Britain so I agree with his non-entry.

I think the reason why Hollingworth didn't make is due to the committee not choosing journalists in general. Though you will see a few here and there (like Sandy Gall)

They don't need to be household names. They just to be able to get a UK obit and all three were famous enough for that.

• Like 5

Hollingworth and Sarstedt big misses. Soares although on the brink was not that well known in Britain so I agree with his non-entry.

Soares wasn't a household name, and obviously, Javier Pérez de Cuéllar is?

At least Boutros Boutros-Ghali was a memorable name...

I wouldn't classify any of these as a true miss, because, while they fall into one criteria, the expected to be covered by the U.K. Media, I'm sure they didn't include them because they didn't fall under other unlisted criteria. I would say that Hollingworth is the closest true miss so far, but let's be honest, they don't really put a lot of journalists on their list now, do they, although how Sandy Gall made it I don't know. The biggest possible miss that could happen is Clive James. He was on the list 4 times in a row, and he gets dropped. Doesn't seem like the smartest decision (though it's not a Patrick Moore). Final thoughts from me before I go to bed.

Soares was a dead cert but I could see like with Errol Christie where it was a coinflip on whether they are list worthy.Hollingworths accomomplishments were notable enough for her to on the list, that being said she was so super old that I could see some in the committee thinking sticking her on the list is borderline almost like sticking Worlds Oldest British Person on the list.