Joey Russ

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2017

6 hours ago, msc said:

Roger Moore also fits into the Bowie/Rickman/Ronnie Corbett mode: if his health had been public, he'd have been on the list. But it wasn't.

Well, that's mere speculation, but if the family has mentioned a "short but brave battle with cancer", it's possible that his terminal cancer had not been diagnosed before Dec 31. (On the other hand, he was a good deal older than either Rickman or Bowie, so he had a chance to make the DL50 anyways.)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GossipGabe said:

Well, that's mere speculation, but if the family has mentioned a "short but brave battle with cancer", it's possible that his terminal cancer had not been diagnosed before Dec 31. (On the other hand, he was a good deal older than either Rickman or Bowie, so he had a chance to make the DL50 anyways.)

The first three would have definitely been on the list had we been made aware of their conditions in December 2015.Moores case is less clear cut as he was still working in November so could easily have only becone ill this year.

36 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

The first three would have definitely been on the list had we been made aware of their conditions in December 2015.

We?

3 hours ago, Toast said:

We?

I meant we as in the general public.

Ah!  I thought you might have infiltrated the DL Committee.

44 minutes ago, Toast said:

Ah!  I thought you might have infiltrated the DL Committee.

Nope haha I was thinking of both the committee and everyone else.If in December 2015 Bowie Rickman or Corbett had said what was wrong with them the entire internet would have known within an hour.The committee picking them in this scenario would have been assured.

• Like 1

Helmut Kohl definitely.

• Like 1

Helmut Kohl, Chuck Berry, Don Rickles, Manuel Noriega, and Clare Hollingworth.

• Like 1

I think Helmut Kohl is the biggest miss by the committee, he was both on the list and was known to be ill. Whereas Chuck Berry and Manuel Noriega were famous and on the list, but they weren't known to be that ill at the time (though Noriega was known to be ill later in March). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think Helmut Kohl is the biggest miss by the committee, he was both on the list and was known to be ill. Whereas Chuck Berry and Manuel Noriega were famous and on the list, but they weren't known to be that ill at the time (though Noriega was known to be ill later in March). 

To be honest, I thought the Chuck Berry was going to pull what B.B King did a few years back and Noriega.. only god knows about a third world dictator's health.

But Kohl was a HUUUGE miss.

• Like 1

Biggest misses have been Mario Soares Peter Sarstedt Peter Skellern Clare Hollingworth and Helmut Kohl.

I really don't know how often they put 1 hit wonders on the list without doing any other achievements that really stand out to the worldwide community, cause if they don't, that'll explain why Sarstedt and Skellern didn't make the list. Hollingsworth is probably a case of not wanting to put people over 100 with a few exceptions (and again, besides that one major scoop, what else has done that is significant). Soares, well, I can see why he didn't make the list, they had their worries about his obitality, and while he was significant in his own country, he didn't necessarily make decisions that really had a worldwide impact (or at least, an impact for the U.K.), unlike Mugabe, Akihito, the 2 US Presidents or even King Michael (he really impacted WW2 in the end even though he was forced into exile after the war ended). Kohl definitely falls into that group above, and is definitely the biggest miss so far. 

Liam Cosgrave is a miss.

Spoiler

Read this again in three months and it will make sense.

• Like 1

Helmet Kohl really was DL's biggest miss in years....if not ever.

BIG miss.  

Just now, SovietJohnny said:

BIG miss.  

Not ever. Biggest misses ever belong to Alec Guinness, Boris Yeltsin, and Patrick Moore. 

• Like 2

Just now, SovietJohnny said:

BIG miss.  

Nah biggest misses of all time are Patrick Moore Princess Margaret and Christopher Hitchens

Luciano Pavarotti was a terrible miss as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Luciano Pavarotti was a terrible miss as well.

Oh massive miss.World famous .one of the biggest singers of his generation and had one of the worst forms of cancer.

Overall the committèe have made some excellent calls but I kept Kohl on my list for 2017. However I am still only on 4/50.

Because he was on my home DP list (2 years running), I'm throwing Daisy Berkowitz/Scott Putesky's name as a huge miss.  The Committee is beholden to naming the 95+ contingent 'cuz they're due to die' and leaves actual ILL people off the list, my ongoing complaint that lands on deaf ears.  Scott should have been on the list until he died, stage 4 C and all.  But no, another annual Fats Domino or whatever is what we get instead.  SMH

SC

(Edit -- this means we will be reading about Fats later today lol)

Not sure if he’s a big miss. I mean, so far, he only received a mirror obit from the UK. You would’ve expect him to get more than that by now if he truly was a miss.

• Like 1

Maybe the list should be expanded to 100 people? 

• Like 1

In the context of the DeathList he is not a miss, imo. 

• Like 1