Joey Russ

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2017

they don't really put a lot of journalists on their list now, do they, although how Sandy Gall made it I don't know.

I wouldn't expect you to. You are too young to remember him, and if you are in the US you wouldn't know him anyway. He was a very familiar face on UK TV back in the days when everyone watched the news on either BBC or ITV. Newsreaders were very well-known to the British public then. It is different now there are so many more news programmes and channels.

Soares is without a doubt biggest miss by committee. Beside of Barroso he was the most important politician in Portugal, well known all over the world. He implements democracy and brought Portugal in the EU.

Claire Hollingworth is for my taste not a big miss, pure national personality, not important enough on a worldwide-viéw. If you would ask coincidentally ten people outside UK, for example in Germany, Italy, France or somewhere else I would be sure nobody would know her.

Not sure regarding Peter Sarstedt or John Berger, both were definitely better known than Hollingworth

• Like 1

they don't really put a lot of journalists on their list now, do they, although how Sandy Gall made it I don't know.

I wouldn't expect you to. You are too young to remember him, and if you are in the US you wouldn't know him anyway. He was a very familiar face on UK TV back in the days when everyone watched the news on either BBC or ITV. Newsreaders were very well-known to the British public then. It is different now there are so many more news programmes and channels.

Ah. I thought he was just some random Scottish journalist. :lol:

He's a fairly big name up here. I think he retired before I even went to school and I'd heard of him through general pop culture.

Sandy Gall can easily be compared to Walter Cronkite. An absolute giant. The last of a small pool of legendary news anchors still kicking in fact. Deffo deserves a slot on the list.

I think Lord Snowdon has to be considered a big miss, although to be fair we hadn't really heard much about his health.

I think Lord Snowdon has to be considered a big miss, although to be fair we hadn't really heard much about his health.

True but he did retire from the Lords last year which is proving to be a sign the end is near.

Not really. Guaranteed obit, but most people don't enter deathlist unless they're 90 and over, and those who enter earlier usually have known health issues.

Yes, I put him in my first couple of DDP teams, but the dropped him because there was never any particular news of ill-health.

However I did include him in my Crowd Sourced DL entry this year.

Yes, I put him in my first couple of DDP teams, but the dropped him because there was never any particular news of ill-health.

He finished considerably off the pace in 78th place.

He finished considerably off the pace in 78th place.

I'm afraid my list was somewhat random in order, to reflect life and death in general.

Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Zhou Youguang was an easy and obvious miss. Although maybe not particularly well known in the West, he was definitely an important enough figure in China who also happened to live past the age of 110.

(People like Emma Morano would not qualify for Deathlist as the only thing that makes them famous is their highly advanced age).

He also got a Daily Mail obit:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4119592/Zhou-Youguang-father-Chinese-Romanization-dies.html

• Like 1

Yeah. The advance age thing, he probably wasn't put on due to his age. They rarely put anyone debuting past the age of 100 (Rockefeller and Rainer are two I can think up on the top of my head), so he's probably wasn't put on due to those reasons.

Yeah. The advance age thing, he probably wasn't put on due to his age. They rarely put anyone debuting past the age of 100 (Rockefeller and Rainer are two I can think up on the top of my head), so he's probably wasn't put on due to those reasons.

I could be wrong but I'm sure someone said on the forums years ago the deathlist committee limit the amount of people over a 100 on the list.

I could be wrong but I'm sure someone said on the forums years ago the deathlist committee limit the amount of people over a 100 on the list.

Yes, that could be right. I have analyzed the average Age of all 50 People in official deathlist in the past years. The average is constant at about 88 years.

By the way, I follow the same approach regarding my own shadow list. Of course I could reach a lot more hits if I would adjust the year-average upwards and put some more centenarians in my list. but this is not particularly challenging in my point of view.

• Like 1

Well, that's their decision, and a bad one at that. According to their own rules, "candidates cannot be famous solely for the fact they are likely to die in the near future". That would NOT exclude people like Zhou Youguang from being eligible for the list - it would only exclude people like Emma Morano who have no other claim to fame than age.

Zhou Youguang was an easy and obvious miss. Although maybe not particularly well known in the West, he was definitely an important enough figure in China who also happened to live past the age of 110.

(People like Emma Morano would not qualify for Deathlist as the only thing that makes them famous is their highly advanced age).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4119592/Zhou-Youguang-father-Chinese-Romanization-dies.html

Well, to be honest I didnt really expect an OBIT for Zhou Youguang and thats how I didnt consider him in my personnel DL. Maybe thats the same reason why the comittee did never consider him?

It`s bloody difficult, like a bet you have to place, cause you never know before if People like Zhou Youguang are really obitable.

• Like 2

Well, to be honest I didnt really expect an OBIT for Zhou Youguang and thats how I didnt consider him in my personnel DL. Maybe thats the same reason why the comittee did never consider him?

It`s bloody difficult, like a bet you have to place, cause you never know before if People like Zhou Youguang are really obitable.

Depends what you want to consider as an obit, really, doesn't it?

I personally think any mention of the person's death by any UK news source - local or national - is sufficient.

There are probably people on my list that wouldn't UK obit but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Doubtless though, most of them would (over 90 percent).

• Like 1

Jimmy Snuka was without a doubt famous enough to be deathlist material backed up by Jake 'The Snake' Roberts being a former entrant. 15 days in and three of my fifty have already gone. Sarstedt and Hollingworth the other two.

Jimmy Snuka was without a doubt famous enough to be deathlist material backed up by Jake 'The Snake' Roberts being a former entrant. 15 days in and three of my fifty have already gone. Sarstedt and Hollingworth the other two.

But many of us thought he reaked of fraud. Therefore, he is not a true miss. Of the ones who were brought up in this thread, he's probably the smallest miss.

• Like 1

But many of us thought he reaked of fraud. Therefore, he is not a true miss. Of the ones who were brought up in this thread, he's probably the smallest miss.

Precisely. Not a big miss at all based on industry-wide fraud (see Graham, Roberts, etc etc). Sadly I probably duped by george Steele and Constantino.

SC

Would anyone count John Hurt as a miss? I mean, he was publicly diagnosed with cancer, but that was a while back, like 2015.

Would anyone count John Hurt as a miss? I mean, he was publicly diagnosed with cancer, but that was a while back, like 2015.

Biggest miss of the year.Pancreatic cancer is normally fatal.Although he had been in remission he pulled out of a play due to intestinal issues that made me suspicious.Had him down as 47 on my shadow list as I thought he would be too big a name to miss.

Depends. If Wilko snuffs it this year, is he a big miss?

Literally only one person on the entire forum suggested John Hurt for the 2017 Deathlist in the "Who Should be on" thread, and that was Shaun. Most folk seemed to assume he'd done a Ginsburg. I think if there'd been consensus he was on road out, he'd be top 10 on the list, and on most of the top DDP teams sides, especially with a Drop 40 bonus.

• Like 2

My reasoning in having John on my team was that when I heard he was in remission i thought that just made him safe for 2016 and that it'll come back.