Joey Russ

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2017

I thought (and hoped) he had had one of these new treatments that seem to be working in some cases.

Would anyone count John Hurt as a miss? I mean, he was publicly diagnosed with cancer, but that was a while back, like 2015.

By the same token, do we count Emmanuelle Riva as a miss? Famous in the English-speaking world for her Oscar, and looked older and more tired than a de Havilland or a Doris Day.

Would anyone count John Hurt as a miss? I mean, he was publicly diagnosed with cancer, but that was a while back, like 2015.

By the same token, do we count Emmanuelle Riva as a miss? Famous in the English-speaking world for her Oscar, and looked older and more tired than a de Havilland or a Doris Day.

Hell no; and oh hell no.

• Like 1

Is Wetton a miss? Plenty of us definitely knew he was ill, but I wouldn't be surprised if the committee thought he was more of a rumor based pick.

• Like 1

Is Wetton a miss? Plenty of us definitely knew he was ill, but I wouldn't be surprised if the committee thought he was more of a rumor based pick.

It wasn't his health that dissuaded them I suspect but more the sense that he wasn`t famous enough.I mean only the mirror have reported his death so far of the main stream media..the only arguable misses so far are Soares Armstrong-Jones Hollingworth Sarstedt Pomsel and Hurt.

It wasn't his health that dissuaded them I suspect but more the sense that he wasn`t famous enough.I mean only the mirror have reported his death so far of the main stream media..the only arguable misses so far are Soares Armstrong-Jones Hollingworth Sarstedt Pomsel and Hurt.

Sometimes the mainstream media can be pretty slow.

I suspect that there will be BBC and Guardian obits for Wetton at the very least, although they may not surface until tomorrow. Both of those news outlets recently reported the death of Can drummer Jaki Liebezeit, a figure significantly more obscure than Wetton.

Would not at all surprise me if Chris Evans plays "Heat of the Moment" on tomorrow's Radio 2 breakfast show.

• Like 1

Currently fifth most read story on BBC News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38812944

Definitely famous enough, no problems there.

He was Drop 40, that ain't just rumours.

Yes it's a huge miss, seeing as they put Fats Domino on the list. I'll leave the Committee to explain looking at the two names juxtaposed on Dec 31 why they chose one (age based pick) over the other (stage 4 cancer). That's a debate you should NEVER end up on the side of age.

​SC

• Like 1

Desmond Carrington without a doubt is a huge miss, certainly famous enough after a 70 year association on national radio and having had a long battle with alzheimer's. Already six of my fifty death predictions have rang true.

• Like 1

Desmond Carrington without a doubt is a huge miss, certainly famous enough after a 70 year association on national radio and having had a long battle with alzheimer's. Already six of my fifty death predictions have rang true.

Really? Where's your list at?

Really? Where's your list at?

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8992-who-should-be-on-the-2017-deathlist/?p=288484

I'd say Wetton so far is the only headscratch miss. Can see why maybe they didn't think Soares met the fame level or that putting people over 105 like Hollingworth,Youguang was not bueno. And in regards to Sarstedst,Snowden and Hurt there was no news that indicated they were dead certs.

• Like 1

I'd say Wetton so far is the only headscratch miss. Can see why maybe they didn't think Soares met the fame level or that putting people over 105 like Hollingworth,Youguang was not bueno. And in regards to Sarstedst,Snowden and Hurt there was no news that indicated they were dead certs.

Clare Hollingworth was famous enough and had loads of news coverage.

If Cristiano Ronaldo dies in the next 7 years he'll qualify due to portugese naming conventions meaning he's actually called Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aviero.

Manuel Maria Barbosa de Bocage died in 1805 at his exact scrabble value.

Um, I believe you have the wrong thread, no?

If Cristiano Ronaldo dies in the next 7 years he'll qualify due to portugese naming conventions meaning he's actually called Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aviero.

Manuel Maria Barbosa de Bocage died in 1805 at his exact scrabble value.

Um, I believe you have the wrong thread, no?

Fucking hell you're fast on your feet.

• Like 1

Just noticed I've got 3 of my shadow 50 so better than the official 50 (not done a shadow list before). Would have been 4 if I hadn't dropped Zhou Youguang (the Chinese language guy) at the last minute when QEII got the flu at Xmas! Classic lesson - stick with your cold, rational decisions rather than cave in to last minute changes!

Gregg Allman? The health issues were clearly there, he was clearly famous enough (being the lead singer in one of the most acclaimed bands of all time) and canceling the rest of his 2017 concerts ala Merle Haggard pretty much sealed his fate. Plus, considering his cause of death was apparently liver cancer, the Mayo Clinic treatment makes a lot more sense now. Besides the two true bonafide misses (ala Berry and Pirsig), the only other one so far that I may count as a miss is Don Rickles. 

• Like 1

Roger Moore also fits into the Bowie/Rickman/Ronnie Corbett mode: if his health had been public, he'd have been on the list. But it wasn't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Gregg Allman? The health issues were clearly there, he was clearly famous enough (being the lead singer in one of the most acclaimed bands of all time) and canceling the rest of his 2017 concerts ala Merle Haggard pretty much sealed his fate. Plus, considering his cause of death was apparently liver cancer, the Mayo Clinic treatment makes a lot more sense now. Besides the two true bonafide misses (ala Berry and Pirsig), the only other one so far that I may count as a miss is Don Rickles. 

Geoffrey Bayldon is a miss I would say.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Cancellations happened after Jan 1, non-factor. 
SC

3 hours ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Geoffrey Bayldon is a miss I would say.

Was rewatching Asylum last night. Beyond's Bayldon's memorable turn (and Herbert Lom setting the OTT dial to 11), it also seems to suggest Britt Ekland can act.

Then I Wiki'd her and discovered she's about to turn 75!!! :o

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Was rewatching Asylum last night. Beyond's Bayldon's memorable turn (and Herbert Lom setting the OTT dial to 11), it also seems to suggest Britt Ekland can act.

Then I Wiki'd her and discovered she's about to turn 75!!! :o

I'm dr. Starr!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drol said:

I'm dr. Starr!

From horror to kids tv, he had quite the range.