Joey Russ

The Joker's Dead Pool

4 hours ago, msc said:

I think this pool died, Biblio. It's not even possible for you or I to do a tot up of the points due to the secret bonuses. Ah well.

The only pool I am in with half a chance of turning in a decent performance in. Pity.

I liked the concept as well.

Maybe Joey or someone else could resurrect it in another guise in a future year when there are not so many demands on their time. Perhaps remove a layer of complexity from it.

Looks like he's forgotten all about it.

stagnant-water.jpg?w=267&h=195

• Sad 1

Sorry for the very long wait. I'm currently on Thanksgiving break, so, why not make a brand new update.

Our first hit from this long hit was Leo Baxendale. Aside from the one point everyone has on them, he also get the double benefit of both being unique in this pool and the DDP. With Gooseberry Crumble being the only person left who could get an additional point for guessing everyone in the correct order until they jumped back, GC gets a grand total of 8 points for his hit. 

That'll be the last time we'll see that bonus because Ian Brady was one slot above Baxendale. So what are people getting from Brady? Well, he gets one normal point and 3 drop 40 points, but he'll lose two points because he was imprisoned, so everyone who picked him will be getting 2 points, with RadGuy gaining an extra point for being on spot #4, making him joint 4th with msc at this time.

Up next is another criminal that people hoped to be gone forever, Manuel Noriega. A unique for YoungWilz, he was also a world leader gaining him 2 more points, and with being in spot 18 with for a 25 member team, YoungWilz has 7, until we remember that imprisonment means 2 points gone. Still, 5 points is nothing to complain about at all. 

Now moving on to some people that we actually like, Peter Sallis will unsurprisingly give at least 4 points to a lot of people. Shout to RadGuy, msc and Rishcast for gaining an extra point for being on spot #35 (didn't expect 3 on the exact same spot). The title race between Death Impends and Captain Chorizo still hasn't changed at that point though...

Now, lots of points will be getting points on behalf of Errol Christie, due to lots of joker's being given on him. For basics, he'll start with 5 points for those who chose him, the normal point, the 3 drop 40 points, and the point of being on DQSBP. Breaking down on how many points each individual gets, Sean will get 12 points for being on spot #4 and jokering him, RadGuy gets 6 for choosing him on spot 8 without jokering him, Chorizo gets 12 for being on spot #15 and jokering him, Pedro only gets 5 for not jokering him or having him on one of the bonus point spots, Msc gets 12 for being on spot 16 and jokering him, Unknown Man gets 12 for being on spot 10 and jokering him, Death Impends only get 10 for jokering him but not being on a spot that gives him an extra point to joker, Dead Cow gets 12 for jokering him and for being on spot #5, and RishCast gets 5 for neither jokering him or being on one of those lucky slots. The winners from Christie's death imo are Captain Chorizo and msc, Chorizo for breaking the joint 1st lock and being 2 points in the lead at this point, and msc for breaking the joint 3rd slot with RadGuy due to the fact that he didn't joker him...

On that same day, Helen Fawkes turned out to be a unique for me (though I'm not one of the contenders at all). She will only be giving me four points, the normal point and the unique points on this dead pool. As expected, nothing changed on the contenders front with her demise...

Now onto a world leader that more people like than Noriega, Helmut Kohl shall be giving people 3 points, one normal point, and 2 for being a world leader.  No one got into one of the lucky spots, so everyone who picked him will be getting 3 points...

Up next is Mao Kobayashi, who was both a Japanese journalist and actress. She is one of those hits where people will be getting only one point and nothing else unless they a.  jokered them or b. got on one of the lucky spots. Only the Dead Cow got a lucky spot with her being on #2, so as expected, not much changed on the contender's front...

A couple of people decided to plump for June Foray. She's also one of those who will get 1 point and nothing else unless one of those 2 conditions apply. Chorizo gets an extra point for being on spot number 32, which makes him extend his lead to 3 points ahead of Death Impends...

That is until we account for the next hit (and a potentially decisive one), Ara Parseghian. Since he was a unique for Chorizo in this pool as well as a unique for the DDP, that means that Chorizo will gain 7 points for him, with a 10 point gap between Chorizo and Death Impends...

Now for a hit more people expect to get, Glen Campbell. He will be getting 1 normal point and 3 drop 40 points for his share of the points. Unfortunately, research discovers that he had a 10 day stay in jail, and for that reason, I will be docking two points from him, making his worth only 2 points. Lots of people had him, but only msc (who had him at 15) and Bibliogryphon (who had him at 25) will be getting a third point for him. Still, that does give Death Impends a little ground for a comeback, cause Chorizo only had him as a sub...

Up next is the legend known as Bruce Forsyth. Starting off with the basic point of one, he'll be getting another three for being on the drop 40. He will also be getting another batch for three points for one of the unrevealed bonuses, for Bruce as the first name. That makes him at a base of 7 points. RadGuy gets an 8th point for having him at spot #16, YoungWilz gets 8 for him being on spot #8, and Pedro also gets 8 for being on spot 20. No one gets anything for a pair though...

Colin Meads was another one who starts with one point and a drop 40 package, but he also gets the one point for being part of DQSBP. The Unknown Man snags ten points for jokering him, but msc also gets an extra point for being on spot 30, and Death Impends gets another point for him being on spot 15, making him one point closer to CaptainChorizo...

Our next hit is author JP Donleavy, who will start at 4 for a normal point and for being a unique in the DDP. Bibliogryphon will be receiving 10 points in the end due to his choice of jokering him at #2...

Boxing legend Jake LaMotta is next on this very long update. Unfortunately, people are either losing a point or having their points the same since he went to prison for 6 months. The lucky winners for those who points remain the same are Pedro (who's on spot #30) and The Dead Cow (who's also on spot #30). Everyone else who had LaMotta lost a point...

Now a two part soap opera double. Liz Dawn is one of those people who only gains one point. No one had her on a lucky spot, so therefor, everyone who picked her only gets one point...

The other person who is worth more points is Tony Booth, who will be getting a normal point and 3 drop 40 points to begin with. RadGuy gets 10 for jokering him and having him on spot #2, Pedro also gets ten for jokering him and having him on spot #4, msc gets 5 for having him at #10, and Biblio also gets five for having him at 5...

Hugh Hefner demise means a stiff point for anyone who picked him. RadGuy gets a second stiff point for having him at 20. Nothing else changes at this point...

Gord Downie is another one who will receive 5 points to start, the basic point, the package of drop 40 points, and a DQSBP point. The following points will be awarded: Sean will recieve 12 for jokering him at #5, RadGuy receives ten for merely jokering him this time, Captain Chorizo will get ten for jokering him, Pedro will get 5 for just having him as well as msc, Unknown Man will receive 10 for jokering him, Death Impends will get 12 for jokering him and having him at spot #35, The Dead Cow will recieve 12 for having him at #1 and jokering him, and RishCast will get 6 for having him at spot #10...

Daisy Berkowitz is the next person up in order to receive a basic point and nothing else. The only thing significant with him is that CaptainChorizo will be expanding his lead by one more point... 

Our last person for this update is legendary rock and roller Fats Domino. He's only worth one basic point, but Pedro gains another point for him being on spot #15, and Death Impends have him at #25, reducing the deficit between him and CaptainChorizo to 4 points...

Here is the very long awaited new leaderboard!

1st - Captain Chorizo - 106 points

2nd - Death Impends - 102 points

3rd - RadGuy - 96 points

4th - msc - 93 points

5th - Dead Cow - 89 points

6th - Unknown Man - 81 points

7th - Pedro67 - 78 points

8th - Shaun of the Dead - 76 points

9th - Bibliogryphon - 74 points

10th - RishCast - 51 points

11th - YoungWilz - 37 points

12th - Gooseberry Crumble - 31 points

13th - joeyruss - 30 point

14th - Cat O'Falk - minus 1 point

Let me know if I had missed someone up to the current DDP update (those who haven't been on an update won't have their scores updated yet). Well, it's been a long time coming now, ain't it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I still have points for Malcolm Young and Rodney Bewes to come but they have probably not been updated in the DDP yet.

Thanks for the update @Joey Russ

Damn good work.

Tbh, I haven't a clue how my points are made up, I'm just made up I have points, especially as I started on minus 2!

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, it's been a long time coming now, ain't it...

And a long time running!

Three people are up for this next update:

First up is Malcolm Young, the legendary backup guitarist for AC/DC. Dead from Alzheimer's, it seems like only two people remembered to put him on their teams. While he's only worth one point, Bibliogryphon gets two for having him at spot number 40...

Up next is soul legend Della Reese. Also only worth one point, it is only eventful because the current leader Captain Chorizo gets to expand his lead by one point...

Rodney Bewes is the last person in this update, picked by three people, but the like the last 2 people, is only worth one point. Bibliogryphon and msc got lucky however since he was on spot 10 and 8 respectively. Therefore, Bibliogryphon is the winner of today's update since he gained 4 points this update. I should probably come up with a few more bonuses for next year...

Here are the scores!

1st - Captain Chorizo - 107 points

2nd - Death Impends - 102 points

3rd - RadGuy - 96 points

4th - msc - 95 points

5th - Dead Cow - 90 points

6th - Unknown Man - 82 points

7th= - Bibliogryphon - 78 points

7th= - Pedro67 - 78 points

9th - Shaun of the Dead - 76 points

10th - RishCast - 51 points

12th - Gooseberry Crumble - 32 points

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's only one hit this time, but he is a hit that could be very significant in the coming weeks...

King Michael was one of those people who was considered a dead cert, and as such, he will be receiving a lot of points. He will start out with 6 points: the basic point, the three drop 40 points, and the 2 head of state points. The winner of extra bonuses today are Pedro who had him at spot #35, Bibliogryphon who had him at spot #15, Death Impends who jokered him, and RishCast who had him at spot #8. And just like that, we have a new leader all due to the fact that he jokered him!

Here are the scores:

1st - Death Impends - 114 points

2nd - Captain Chorizo - 113 points

3rd - RadGuy - 102 points

4th - msc - 101 points

6th - Unknown Man - 88 points

7th= - Bibliogryphon - 85 points

7th= - Pedro67 - 85 points

9th - Shaun of the Dead - 82 points

10th - RishCast - 58 points

12th - Gooseberry Crumble - 32 points

• Like 1

There’s under one week left till we have a winner. Will there be any last minute twists before a victor is declared? 

Must be about time to wind this one up.

Looking forward to seeing who has won, and of course participating next year if you care to run it again JR.

I’m gonna wait till after the final DDP “update” (quotes cause there’s no other hits this year) to calculate points. There was only one more hit after Michael, and that was Rose Marie. Some surprises to come...

• Like 2

Oh, and if you want a bit of a sneak peak for next year, this is the list of jokers that I have seen posted or twigged on due to being first on the list on the DDP 2018 page. No doubt there will be many more, but I'm preparing myself a bit early for 2018. 

Spoiler
  1. Atkins, Ronald
  2. Attenborough, David
  3. Ayckbourn, Alan
  4. Barlow, Thelma
  5. Bosbach, Wolfgang
  6. Bracknell, Leah
  7. Brown, Ami
  8. Cappotelli, Matt
  9. Churchill, Dick
  10. Cocks, John “Cocksy”
  11. Cooper, Pat
  12. Cribbins, Bernard
  13. Crider, Bill
  14. Crosby, David
  15. Cryne, Patrick
  16. Darrow, Paul
  17. De Havilland, Olivia
  18. Elias, Rayya
  19. Falkholt, Jessica
  20. Francis, Dean
  21. Gilbert, Greg
  22. Goodwin, Vanessa
  23. Harper, Valerie
  24. Hawking, Stephen
  25. Ivanov, Ivan (Afghanistan diplomat)
  26. Jose, Jose
  27. Kripke, Saul
  28. Masekela, Hugh
  29. McCain, John
  30. Miller, Liam
  31. Newton-John, Olivia  
  32. Nicholls, Nichelle
  33. Nolan, Linda
  34. Palmer, Geoffrey
  35. Pilcher, Rosamunde
  36. Poitier, Sidney
  37. Rumsfeld, Donald
  38. Shaffernacker, Thomas
  39. Shore, Mitzi
  40. Smash, Chas
  41. Stefansson, Stefan Karl
  42. Stiles, Nobby
  43. Trintignant, Jean Louis
  44. Tsvangirai, Morgan
  45. Vervoort, Marieke
  46. Weinstein, Harvey
  47. Withers, Jane
  48. Zarin, Bobby
  49. Zeffirelli, Franco

Another year without a Joey Feek/Martin Crowe/Sam Simon like figure to gobble a ton of jokers. Could see a ton of different jokers like 2017

So in the end, there was only one more hit after the death of King Michael, Rose Marie. Really a one pointer for the four people who picked her, with the top 2 both picking her as well, so that doesn't change the person in the lead. 

There are a couple of end of the year bonuses as well. The first bonus is that if you were in last place, you get to gain ten points. In this case, it's none other than our beloved Cat O'Falk (welcome back btw), who now goes from -1 points to 9 points in total.

The next two bonuses aren't so friendly. The first of those bonuses is the unlucky 13 bonus. In this bonus, the person who is in 13th place gets to lose 5 points and fall back behind. In this case, the unlucky 13 bonus goes to none other than your own host, Joey Russ, who randomized team did him no good at all, and in fact, it did a poor enough of a job to make me lose 5 points. Curses.

The other unlucky bonus is that you lose two points if you gained the most hits. After counting the hit number for each team, the teams with the most hits were Death Impends and CaptainChorizo, who had a total of 24 hits. However, due to the fact that they have a large enough of a lead over everyone else, this has no effect to the scoreboard at all...

So with that in mind, I would like to congratulate Death Impends on winning the first annual Joker's Dead Pool with 113 points. As it turned out, King Michael was the decisive hit, as he was the only one who jokered him, which brought Death Impends a lot of points. Coming in a very close second is CaptainChorizo, who was only one point behind even though he got a lot of great hits this year. The next closest is 9 points behind, which I congratulate RadGuy in getting 103 points in total and winning third place.

Here is the final scoreboard!

1st - Death Impends - 113 points

2nd - Captain Chorizo - 112 points

3rd - RadGuy - 103 points

4th - msc - 101 points

6th - Unknown Man - 88 points

7th - Pedro67 - 86 points

8th - Bibliogryphon - 85 points

9th - Shaun of the Dead - 82 points

10th - RishCast - 58 points

12th - Gooseberry Crumble - 32 points

13th - joeyruss - 25 points

14th - Cat O'Falk - 9 points

Thank you everyone who decided to participate in the Joker's Dead Pool in 2017. Next year, a few more bonuses will be added along with another randomized terrible team from your own host, so stay tuned when the first update of the DDP happens...

• Like 2

Not last. In that regard, respectable....:)

Well done DI, you know, there might be one more 2017 win coming your way...

:party: Quite a good result considering I put a team together in all of ten minutes

20 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

:party: Quite a good result considering I put a team together in all of ten minutes

Aye, and another pool you can say that you couldn’t have won without June Foray, eh? 

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

There are a couple of end of the year bonuses as well. The first bonus is that if you were in last place, you get to gain ten points. In this case, it's none other than our beloved Cat O'Falk (welcome back btw), who now goes from -1 points to 9 points in total.

Excuse my ignorance but isn't 1+10=11 not 1+10=9?