DevonDeathTrip

Death And The Scrabble Deficit

Russian film director Bakhtyar Khudojnazarov, aged only 49.

By using Scrabble scoring to add up the letters in his name, he comes up with a score greater than his age at death; 60 points. I doubt there are many other people mentioned on this forum to whom the Scrabble deficit would apply.

• Like 4

Um, the existence of people dying at an age lower than the letters in their name add up to when using English Scrabble scoring continues to be a thing of wonder for me. So I decided to make a thread about it.

I do keep an eye out, but apart from the late Mr Khudojnazarov, no one else has achieved the Scrabble deficit. However, it is possible I am the only person on Earth looking for individuals who may qualify, so I'm bound to have missed a few.

Hopefully we can find someone else...otherwise I'll just have to hunt down and exterminate Bojan Krkic.

(Scrabble letter values: http://www.thewordfinder.com/scrabble-point-values.php )

Rapper Yaki Kadafi (affiliate of 2Pac) was shot dead at the age of 19. His stage name gives us a point score of 25, but his real name (Yafeu Fula) only gives us 18.

• Like 1

Yes and Ritchie Valens got the deficit as well. Specifically looking for contemporary deaths though.

Sorry to be fussy!

Edit -Dakin would count!

Kristen Pfaff equals 27, which was her age when she died?

This relies on my (obligatorily rubbish) maths, but, yeah 27 club and unders in music is your best bet.

EDIT - Posted at same time as DDT above.

Jimi Hendrix was 27 when he died (duh). His Scrabble Value is 31.

• Like 1

Aha! Got one - from within the last two years, so hopefully contemporary enough - Jules Bianchi! Aged 25, Scrabble 26!

• Like 1

Time to see if I can find notable Poles who died young, with all the Zs dotted around their surnames.

This is a fun game.

I have an easy one but it has a question mark over it. Although so does DDT original Russian film director.

Mine is Phillip Hughes the Australian cricketer who got hit by a ball and died at 25.

The Scrabble letters making up his name total 27.

I wonder if anyone can spot why it is questionable?

EDITED TO ADD THE EXTRA L INTO HIS NAME THAT I MISSED ORIGINALLY

• Like 1

Excellent!

There have probably been quite a few that I missed.

Blake Fielder-Civil has outlived his usefulness in this context by two years.

Time to see if I can find notable Poles who died young, with all the Zs dotted around their surnames.

Wlodzimierz Smolarek died aged 54, but the hell am I outing my maths trying to count that one up.

For fun random information only in Polish Scrabble a z is only worth one point.

This is a fun game.

I have an easy one but it has a question mark over it. Although so does DDT original Russian film director.

Mine is Philip Hughes the Australian cricketer who got hit by a ball and died at 25.

The Scrabble letters making up his name total 26.

Three H's? That's fine and Hughes counts.

Morning Glory Zell Ravenheart is another I thought of, but she loses out 47/66

Wlodzimierz Smolarek died aged 54, but the hell am I outing my maths trying to count that one up.

49. Darn it, so close.

Mariusz Handzlik came agonizingly close, 43 to an age of 44.

Right, got a Pole.

Andrzej Przewoźnik was 46.

He gets 61 points.

• Like 4

Of course - it makes sense that the 2010 plane crash would have someone who fits the criteria.

This is a fun game.

Mine is Philip Hughes the Australian cricketer who got hit by a ball and died at 25.

The Scrabble letters making up his name total 26.

Three H's? That's fine and Hughes counts.

Morning Glory Zell Ravenheart is another I thought of, but she loses out 47/66

Yes - only 2 H in a game of Scrabble and your original one has 2 K when only 1 in the game.

I would imagine there are a few sub continent cricketers who died under 40 who will achieve the deficit but can't think of any.

Of course - it makes sense that the 2010 plane crash would have someone who fits the criteria.

I knew someone in it would likely fit the bill.

I admit, that's a slightly sociopathic comment to make...

• Like 3

Pacific Islanders are also possible candidates, you get some ridiculously long names in Tonga.

Found another well known American that counts. Freddie Prinze died at 22. Scrabble Value is 29.

Aha! Fijian cricketer Ilikena Talebulamaineiilikenamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau is still alive at 95, can relax for another twelve years and still qualify for this thread.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Aha! Got one - from within the last two years, so hopefully contemporary enough - Jules Bianchi! Aged 25, Scrabble 26!

It is harder than you initially think - when I read this I thought Roland Ratzenberger would be a dead cert but he died when he was 33 and only gets a Scrabble score of 30.

• Like 1