DevonDeathTrip

Death And The Scrabble Deficit

Zvjezdan Cvetković, Serbian football player and manager, has died aged 56. he had 9 caps and 1 goal for Yugoslavia.

...as just posted in the football thread, this chap qualifies for a mention here with a deficit of 63:56. :party:

• Like 3

If you choose to include his middle name, Kazimierz, Zbigniew Brzezinski juuust qualifies with a scrabble score of 90 outdoing his age of 89.

• Like 6

Not contemporary, but fell down a Wikipedia research hole today and discovered that the last person known to have died while attempting to defect from East to West Germany was Winfried Freudenberg, whose attempt to cross featured him holding on to a big balloon a la Up, except it ended in his death.  He was 32 when he carked it and his name gives us 33 Scrabble points.

• Like 1

Mentioned on the pop thread, the recently deceased Nashville indie singer Jessie Zazu strolls into scrabble deficit territory (28:35)

• Like 1

Re-reading this thread on the bump, and I was curious to find I need to live till September 2022 to beat my own Scrabble Deficit! Ooh, random buses, Donald Trump, being Glaswegian: the pitfalls are endless! :lol:

Jessica Falkholt, dead aged 29. Scrabble points: 34.

Wrestling's favourite screw-ups the Von Erichs surely have the distinction of most members of one generation beating the deficit? Chris Von Erich (26 > 21), Mike Von Erich (26 > 23) and David Von Erich (26 > 25), plus Jack Adkisson who died before he could become a pro-wrestler and get his name changed to Von Erich (30 > 7). Sadly Kerry Von Erich lived five years too late to beat his deficit, and Kevin Von Erich is a disgrace to his family name by still being alive.

• Like 1

Last December NHL defenceman Zarley Zalapski died at age 49, good for 41 scrabblicious points.

SC

• Like 1

Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy or as he was known XXXTentacion, died aged 20, real name scores 32 omitting the middle name, stage name 35.

• Like 3

On 19/06/2018 at 20:25, Charlotte's Controller said:

Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy or as he was known XXXTentacion, died aged 20, real name scores 32 omitting the middle name, stage name 35.

Another Rapper early twenties also died same day, shot, also qualified but I discounted him as a fame hungry copycat once again both stage and real names qualified. In fact his real name scrabble score more than doubled his age. This must be a new record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wopo

Icelandic politician and human rights activist Ussarkak Kujaukitsok has died.  Scrabble point value:  46 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Icelandic politician and human rights activist Ussarkak Kujaukitsok has died.  Scrabble point value:  46 

Firstly we need to know how old he was when he died to know the deficit.

Secondly I think for foreign people you should have to use the Scrabble scores for their nationality. - for example k in Icelandic scrabble is only worth 2 points not 5 points as in UK Scrabble.Scrabble points different countries

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Firstly we need to know how old he was when he died to know the deficit.

Secondly I think for foreign people you should have to use the Scrabble scores for their nationality. - for example k in Icelandic scrabble is only worth 2 points not 5 points as in UK Scrabble.Scrabble points different countries

He was 70. As to your second point, that might seem to needlessly complicate what is, essentially, a fun thread.  Makes no difference to me.  Was directed here a couple of times for Scrabble-esque postings elsewhere.

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

He was 70. As to your second point, that might seem to needlessly complicate what is, essentially, a fun thread.  Makes no difference to me.  Was directed here a couple of times for Scrabble-esque postings elsewhere.

If he was 70 and his Scrabble score is 46 then I think possibly this thread is already a little complicated for you?:P

And yes I agree with you regarding the second point but virtually every Pole that dies will hit the Scrabble deficit as Z is only worth 1 point in Polish Scrabble as it is such a popular letter.

• Like 1

Racer Tomasz Jedrzejak (54 pts) committed suicide aged 39. 
That's an incredible Scrabble deficit of 15 points!

SC

• Like 2

Welcome to our rather exclusive club, Mr Zakharchenko.  42:54.  

Malcolm James McCormick, Mac Miller, Ariana Grande's ex and a rapper dies from drug overdose at 26, scrabble score 36 without his middle name 50 including it.

Fashion blogger Kyrzayda Rodriguez. After nearly a year’s long battle against Stage 4 Stomach cancer, the Dominican writer behind the fashion blog Kyrzayda died Sunday, September 9th.
People Magazine comes thru...she is in fact 40 [Scrabble deficit score: 49]
SC

• Like 1

The death of Wim Kok got me wondering which short-named person might have the highest negative scrabble deficit or 'scrabble surplus' if you like.

It would seem to be old Japanese lady, Tae Ito, who died last November at the age of 114. Her name adds up to a scrabble score of just 6 (a value of only 1 point for each letter), giving her a surplus of 108!

• Like 5

Someone who died a couple of years ago but very topical in Australian and probably a lot of American media today.

Justine Damond Ruszczyk was shot dead by an American police officer a couple of years ago after calling the police about a possible rape.  Today the police officer, Mohamed Noor, was found guilty of third degree murder and manslaughter.  It was a very tragic incident but interesting to see the American legal system charging and sustaining a guilty verdict of murder by a police officer on duty. 

By my count 59 Scrabble points c.f. age of 40.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-01/mohamed-noor-guily-of-murdering-justine-damond-ruszczyk/11060600

• Like 1

Claudia Ochoa Felix model and internet celebrity, died aged 32 scrabble score 35. Reported as having links with a Mexican death squad and drug cartel. Did not take part on the Mexican equivalent of Strictly Come Dancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Ochoa_Félix

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/worlds-deadliest-woman-meet-kim-3690879