msc

Who Do You Consider "famous For Being Ill"?

I agree with deathray. It’s gone too far now. 

As for that 16 year old I chose god know how many years ago, I was only about 18 myself at the time so it felt like fair game and not a big deal. Had it also been clear that nobody else was able to pick her then I wouldn’t have either - what’s the point in entering a competition and not cheating if you know everyone else is cheating?

i suppose the issue remains: who decides what fame is and who passes the threshold for the competition. This year the Earl of Elgin is on my DDP. Is he a celebrity? Is he famous enough? Mind you he was definitely known before he was old and likely to die soon...

Tbh, I think there has been an improvement on the FFBI names front. Even Spade Cooley, the king of FFBI, only picked one name that can be considered FFBI. Could be the fact that there’s so many names out there, but I think it’s telling that more and more picks are fascinating cult names rather than your typical cancer mum story. So there’s that. 

From my perspective FFBI is a bit of a misnomer as it's really "notable for being ill".  If it is truly fame we are talking about then one could make an argument that Yoo Sang-chul could be considered FFBI. (When was the last time you've heard his name mentioned in an actual conversation?)  For the latter standard I think that in general an individual who, without their illness, could plausibly have a Wikipedia page would automatically disqualify them from the label.  This includes people like the Bangladesh MP that was chosen on Deathrace, as well as the vast majority of hits by the top players in DDP 2019.  On the other hand there is a gray area.  Was Kate Granger FFBI?  What about a school principal who has cancer?  What about the elected mayor of a town of 1,000 people?  Personally I'd say no, yes, and no respectively, but all good questions to ponder.

16 hours ago, Deathray said:

It would save the families of these stupid picks the fucking heartbreak and stress of the site coming up when they google their fucking loved ones while grieving them. I get most people on here have the emotional acuteness of Rain Man but that's the whole fucking reason for this bloody discussion. It has fuck all do with whether these picks offer anyone a competitive advantage, it's about the fucking morally right thing to fucking do......

Anyway all of the following are FFBI under the definition I'd like to see used on the DDP and all hits for Top 10 teams.:

Fatima Ali

Gerard Basset

Billy Clayton

Sutupo Nurgro (on a worldwide basis)

Pete Frates

Marieke Vervoot

Kieth Cass

Dana Scatton

Oh fuck do you get offended by someone elses fucking opinion.

A gold medallist Paralympian - really?

6 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

A gold medallist Paralympian - really?

Any goddamn paralympian.  They would have been thrown in an asylum for their condition 100 years ago.  Don't tell me they are ACTUAL athletes in your mind.  TELL ME.  Unacceptable snowflaking.

SC

• Angry 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Any goddamn paralympian.  They would have been thrown in an asylum for their condition 100 years ago.  Don't tell me they are ACTUAL athletes in your mind.  TELL ME.  Unacceptable snowflaking.

SC

Please tell me you don’t actually believe this...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Please tell me you don’t actually believe this...

Please tell me you don't think a person in a wheelchair is an athlete.  They can be athletic.  More athletic than any other person in a wheelchair.  Doesn't make them an athlete.  

27 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Completely wrong and a particularly unpleasant thing to say.

Tanni Grey-Thompson is a household name in the UK and one of the finest athletes our country has ever produced. She just happens to use a wheelchair. 

• Like 5

You're full of shit.  She wasn't a name in your household.  Certainly not in a single American household beyond mine and Joey's and RadGuy's, for reasons.  
I hate when people just say shit.  Pistorious was the only Paralympic (can't believe spellcheck makes me capitalise that) in history.  For reasons.  He made a mark in the real Olympics (rules) and then as a gun advocate lol (too soon for lol?).    

She's no more a household name than the 104 year old Aussie professor flew to Switzerland two years ago and provided me a DL Cup hit.  Don't inject what happens on our pages here with the real world.
SC

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You're full of shit.  She wasn't a name in your household.  Certainly not in a single American household beyond mine and Joey's and RadGuy's, for reasons.  
I hate when people just say shit.  Pistorious was the only Paralympic (can't believe spellcheck makes me capitalise that) in history.  For reasons.  He made a mark in the real Olympics (rules) and then as a gun advocate lol (too soon for lol?).    

She's no more a household name than the 104 year old Aussie professor flew to Switzerland two years ago and provided me a DL Cup hit.  Don't inject what happens on our pages here with the real world.
SC

2006703.gif.1309abe98ff73509556c86817c0abc8e.gif

35 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Please tell me you don't think a person in a wheelchair is an athlete.  They can be athletic.  More athletic than any other person in a wheelchair.  Doesn't make them an athlete.  

What exactly do you mean by athlete? 

13 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

No, you're full of shit.  Don't presume to tell us Brits whether a British personality is a household name in British households, because you are not in a position to judge. Whether they are known to Americans is irrelevant.

• Like 11

Vervoot was a big name in Belgium.

In the UK TGT, David Weir, Johnny Peacock and Ellie Simonds are all household names - with others having some name recognition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

In the UK TGT, David Weir, Johnny Peacock and Ellie Simonds are all household names - with others having some name recognition.

Interestingly did some research amongst the occupants of (a) the burrow and  (b) the office (populations 4 and 10 respectively) and they came up with the same 4 names (plus Pistorius) but no more, so SC does have a point there, I would say very few UK paralympians (and certainly no Belgian ones, no one had a clue who Verwoort was) are household names. The office has a golden postbox immediately outside in honour of some local paralympian rower from 2012 but none of the people working inside have any idea who she is.  While I respect and admire their achievements, many of the competitors in various events seem very unevenly matched even at the very top and I don't find much of it particularly entertaining (who in all honesty carries on watching Wimbledon when Federer finishes and the wheelchair players come on?) it strikes me that some medals are won not on the track but at the classification assessment when some apparently relatively able bodied athletes succeed in persuading people they should be allowed to compete with people with missing limbs (particularly in swimming events - which I used to watch a reasonable amount of as one of the young wombles used to swim competitively - where even finals are very unevenly contested ).

3 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Interestingly did some research amongst the occupants of (a) the burrow and  (b) the office (populations 4 and 10 respectively) and they came up with the same 4 names (plus Pistorius) but no more, so SC does have a point there, I would say very few UK paralympians (and certainly no Belgian ones, no one had a clue who Verwoort was) are household names. The office has a golden postbox immediately outside in honour of some local paralympian rower from 2012 but none of the people working inside have any idea who she is.  While I respect and admire their achievements, many of the competitors in various events seem very unevenly matched even at the very top and I don't find much of it particularly entertaining (who in all honesty carries on watching Wimbledon when Federer finishes and the wheelchair players come on?) it strikes me that some medals are won not on the track but at the classification assessment when some apparently relatively able bodied athletes succeed in persuading people they should be allowed to compete with people with missing limbs (particularly in swimming events - which I used to watch a reasonable amount of as one of the young wombles used to swim competitively - where even finals are very unevenly contested ).

That's why she was not on the main list but a valid ddp pick

Several olympic team gb gold medallists are not anywhere near household names either.