Grim Reaper

Forum Downtime [completed]

Reet, as suggested in the Drunk Bored Psychopath thread, a list of the fixes and changes that the admin staff have applied to the forum since the upgrade. Future changes will be added to the list as they come:

• Return of signatures
  • Character limit on Location, now that it's displayed in the user sidebar
  • 2017 forum once again postable by regular members
  • Avatars are once again square, and preexisting rectangular avatars will again look as such (however the cropping feature, which looks too difficult to work past, means that any future avatars will always be square - so if you have a rectangular avvy, consider it being a perk of veteran status or summat)
  • Likes are once again public
  • Forum width adjusted to a fluid width of 90%
  • Widgets such as Who's Online, Who's Chatting, Recent Posts returned
  • New smileys: :clivedunn::whoosh::tantrum::tomatododge:
  • Added a "DL Retro" theme for those who miss the old color scheme - to use, go to "Theme" at the bottom of the page
  • Likes no longer display under one's Activity Feed
  • DeathList tab which links to the main site added to the top bar, along with a link to the Members page under "Browse" and a link to all-time highest-ranked members/posts under "Leaderboard"
  • Embedded YouTube videos set to a maximum width of 640px - before then the browser display was the limit which meant YT vids appeared as huge to members with large browsers. However this does not retroactively apply to videos that were already posted
  • Pressing enter key now starts a new line, rather than paragraph (ie no longer makes two lines) and quotes have been given extra space so they don't appear overly condensed

And for "how do I do this" questions that were answered in the thread:

• Signatures are now modified via clicking "Signatures" on this page
  • Previewing posts is now done by clicking the paper+magnifying glass icon in the post toolbar
  • If you want to see the exact time a post was made, hover your cursor over the date of the post and it should show in a couple of seconds
  • Nested quoting is now doable by highlighting the post you want to quote and a little "Quote this" button will pop up. Clicking on it will quote the entire post highlighted and not just the most recent quote. If you use the quote button at the bottom of the post only the most recent will be quoted - unfortunately allowing the quote button to do nested quotes seems too complicated.
  • Like 6

Why am I suddenly getting a gazzillion emails off the site. And yes I tried unfollowing.

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Reet, as suggested in the Drunk Bored Psychopath thread, a list of the fixes and changes that the admin staff have applied to the forum since the upgrade. Future changes will be added to the list as they come:

• Return of signatures
  • Character limit on Location, now that it's displayed in the user sidebar
  • 2017 forum once again postable by regular members
  • Avatars are once again square, and preexisting rectangular avatars will again look as such (however the cropping feature, which looks too difficult to work past, means that any future avatars will always be square - so if you have a rectangular avvy, consider it being a perk of veteran status or summat)
  • Likes are once again public
  • Forum width adjusted to a fluid width of 90%
  • Widgets such as Who's Online, Who's Chatting, Recent Posts returned
  • New smileys: :clivedunn::whoosh::tantrum::tomatododge:
  • Added a "DL Retro" theme for those who miss the old color scheme - to use, go to "Theme" at the bottom of the page
  • Likes no longer display under one's Activity Feed
  • DeathList tab which links to the main site added to the top bar, along with a link to the Members page under "Browse" and a link to all-time highest-ranked members/posts under "Leaderboard"
  • Embedded YouTube videos set to a maximum width of 640px - before then the browser display was the limit which meant YT vids appeared as huge to members with large browsers. However this does not retroactively apply to videos that were already posted

And for "how do I do this" questions that were answered in the thread:

• Signatures are now modified via clicking "Signatures" on this page
  • Previewing posts is now done by clicking the paper+magnifying glass icon in the post toolbar
  • If you want to see the exact time a post was made, hover your cursor over the date of the post and it should show in a couple of seconds

All hail our new lord.

11 minutes ago, Morbidkid said:

All hail our new lord.

Hail him, hail him...etc.

Any news on the 'load more topics' button?

Fabulous!

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Why am I suddenly getting a gazzillion emails off the site. And yes I tried unfollowing.

You need to investigate your personal settings, and adjust the Notifications preferences.

• Like 1

I used to be able to stay logged in, but now I have to sign in every time I visit.  Is there a clicky button I'm missing, or summat?  I have the 'remember me' one ticked.

Just had an incident with YW on the Football Manager Sacking Bingo thread (ooh, er, missus). Does the new reply function work, you know, whilst your writing a post.

I notice that only one quote appears per post now, rather than multiple embedded ones.

This is not a bad thing in some respects as it did get out of hand sometimes, but if you do want to preserve the flow of a conversation, the multi-quote is ugly.

• Like 3

Not sure if "Load More Topics" and the quote thingy are easily fixable... they might be among the things the latest Invision iteration removed. Will look further though.

• Like 1

Apparently you can still do nested quotes but it's a bit more complicated. You have to highlight the whole post you want to quote and a little "Quote this" button will pop up, which if clicked will include multiple quotes if there are one.

For example:

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Fabulous!

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

You need to investigate your personal settings, and adjust the Notifications preferences.

Will see if I can make it so nested quoting can be done with the actual Quote button...

• Like 1

Do like the new layout, and when I have time I'll explore any new functions.  I too have started to receive a trillion emails and had to go through 18 pages to reset all the notifications.... Done now, order restored.

Welcome Death Impends.

Can we get the option for an on site notification when someone comments on followed threads back?

Might have been a tad nippy when launched with fuck all thought....<it was>... But well in DI. As stated, same shite as p&b had, but imbedding tweets, vids, uploading image as, even just c&p of image URL works, is great. The no newline however is a pain .... 40/100 for new look but rising slightly with old skin etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charon said:

Might have been a tad nippy when launched with fuck all thought....<it was>... But well in DI. As stated, same shite as p&b had, but imbedding tweets, vids, uploading image as, even just c&p of image URL works, is great. The no newline however is a pain .... 40/100 for new look but rising slightly with old skin etc...

Your getting sentimental in your old age.

• Like 2

@Death Impends still can't access the site via mobile and any chance of a space between rockhopper and penguin so it looks a bit neater? Thanking you muchly in anticipation, keep up the good work.

Edited by rockhopper penguin
thank you (capitals?)

@rockhopper penguin Space added. Will look into the mobile thing, have other members been able to access the site via mobile?

Just so there's an official conclusion it does seem that Load More Topics and nested quoting (via the quote button) were removed with the Invision update and so for the latter one will have to make due with the trick I described upthread. Will add that trick to the all-encompassing list...

Oh, I'm accessing mobile just fine. Use it more often than computers

16 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

@rockhopper penguin Space added. Will look into the mobile thing, have other members been able to access the site via mobile?

Just so there's an official conclusion it does seem that Load More Topics and nested quoting (via the quote button) were removed with the Invision update and so for the latter one will have to make due with the trick I described upthread. Will add that trick to the all-encompassing list...

How the fucking hell did you manage to exist here under the radar for so long???

Top top work!

• Like 4

DI's been one of the best posters on here for years, he just posts rarely compared to certain others who flood the forum. He's making a top admin/mod so far too.

• Like 5

Can access via mobile fine DI , but problem is for me, is that I always use desktop version on browser. Newlines dont work. Not even attempting quoting as I know I'll end up inside the quote box. They're linked.

1 hour ago, charon said:

Can access via mobile fine DI , but problem is for me, is that I always use desktop version on browser. Newlines dont work. Not even attempting quoting as I know I'll end up inside the quote box. They're linked.

Newlines as in when you hit enter and a new line occurs? Seems to work alright for me so it might be on your end rather than within the forum itself, unless someone else has such an issue?

Just now, Death Impends said:

Newlines as in when you hit enter and a new line occurs? Seems to work alright for me so it might be on your end rather than within the forum itself, unless someone else has such an issue?

I have the issue that when I hit enter, two new lines occur.

It seems to have buggered up a lot of the pre-update posts as well.

• Like 1

Ah, that's probably why some people's previously inoffensive signatures are now taking up so much more room.  Too much white space.

<tinkers with sig>

Yes - it's double spacing the lines.  I tried to close up my two quotes, and it ran them together as one line.

Yes, I did notice that there's an automatic space between posts now once you press enter. Editor Settings on the forum has a "Return Key Behavior" setting which has "Start new paragraph" (which is the default) and "Go to next line" options. I tested the second and it makes things a bit too compact imo... though I'll keep ears open if there is popular demand

IMO "Start new paragraph" truly only looks iffy on list posts though they look fine when there's the insert bullet/numbered list feature used... ie

A

B

C

vs

• A
  • B
  • C