Davey Jones' Locker

Interesting Mystery: Family Vanishes

When you aren't searching for Maddie McCann or trying to determine Jack the Ripper's true identity, you guys might find this interesting. It has been intriguing me since I started following it a few days ago. An entire family in France has vanished and there are some interesting circumstances surrounding the case. It is a bit like the Marie Celeste but involving a house, not a boat...

http://www.dw.com/en/mystery-of-vanished-family-baffles-france/a-37774755

Do you think the son dunnit, copying what happened to his mate's family a few years earlier? Why take the toothbrushes, etc, if they were planning to go somewhere but leave the wet washing out? 

• Like 1

I just read another article that the dad has had depression, too.  Hence it could be dad doing a murder-suicide, crazy son or the missing father of the other family, I suppose.  Maybe crazy son did it to cover up that he was the one using his sister's credit card to play the online games.

3 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

I just read another article that the dad has had depression, too.  Hence it could be dad doing a murder-suicide, crazy son or the missing father of the other family, I suppose.  Maybe crazy son did it to cover up that he was the one using his sister's credit card to play the online games.

Oh no might get caught for really minor crime what can I do? Oh yeah, mass murder will solve this problem.

I think if dad all 4 of them would have been found dead in house together.

My money's on Charlotte. Only one whose blood wasn't found at property. Her clothes found 300km away from property - she could even have left those prior to the crime to confuse police?

• Like 1

Hmmm... What would her motive be? How is she surviving without accessing money? The discovery of the  pants is  interesting  - implies something sexual unless someone (her, her brother or whoever) planted them there to mislead the police as you say. Weird the sniffer dogs apparently haven't found anything else in that area, either.

It says trousers, not pants.  I don't know about Australian English but in British English, pants are underwear. 

So what was found is an outer garment.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

It says trousers, not pants.  I don't know about Australian English but in British English, pants are underwear. 

Yes, the words are interchangeable for the ouetr garment here. I think one is UK English and one is US English and we steal 'em both. 

Update: Here we go with a discussion of the word:

https://www.kaplaninternational.com/blog/pants-word-of-the-week

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/10246/does-pants-more-commonly-mean-trousers-or-underpants

Yes, I just looked at a French site to double-check and it was definitely her trousers (outer garment) not her knickers that were discovered because it says that her social security card was found in a pocket of the apparel in question.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Not in the part of Britain I'm from. Pants are casual trousers, trousers are specifically smart trousers.

Things I would want to know.

Can Charlotte drive?

Is there any blood in the car?

If so, whose?

Did Charlotte or any of the other family members regularly go where Charlotte's things were found when visiting the parents in Brest?

Also I presume French roads have traffic cameras like UK roads so I would have a team on those.

Difficult to be a detective without the information though!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Not in the part of Britain I'm from. Pants are casual trousers, trousers are specifically smart trousers.

Sometime I think it is a gender thing for Aussies too (though not strictly so):  men wear trousers, women wear pants.  (Like how the Americans say Hillary Clinton wore "pants suits").

According to a French news site, the investigators "remain open to all hypotheses".  (I translate that to mean "We're stumped".)

I have no idea, I'm just loving the copious use of the word 'pants' in this thread. 

• Like 1

"Police have indicated that Sebastien was the main suspect in the crime. According to a statement, authorities believe the young man had carried a "a macabre plan aimed at snuffing out the members of his family and maybe himself.""

http://www.dw.com/en/new-clues-discovered-in-case-of-vanished-french-family/a-37792745

On 3/2/2017 at 22:00, Handrejka said:

I am wearing my Sunday slacks; with no under pants. Roomy.

Yay, welcome back Dave!

2 hours ago, Dave to the Grave said:

I am wearing my Sunday slacks; with no under pants. Roomy.

Welcome back to the fold. Is slave returning too? 

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Yay, welcome back Dave!

Thank you. 

22 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Welcome back to the fold. Is slave returning too? 

Thanks. Like a moth to a flame: all that talk of trouser. SttG's more of a shoe person, but sends much love. 

Edited by Paul Bearer
To add the 'a'.
  • Like 1

I don't know, you disappear for four years and everything changes. All I wanted to do was add an 'a' before shoe and everything has gone pants. Perhaps someone could remove the duplicate without the 'a'.  

There's an entire television mini-series on a plate here.

Whaddya reckon - including songs or not?

• Like 4