Sir Creep

Female 'Firsts'

So many obits proclaim 'she was the first woman to (insert accomplishment)', that these neophyte ladies deserve their own place in DL. (African Americans sans 'americans' will be getting one too, probably by week's end.)  So with that....

Sunset “Sunny” Hale, the first woman in polo history to win the U.S. Open in a male-dominated sport, died Sunday night in Norman, Okla.

Hale, 48, died due to complications from cancer.  The world’s greatest women’s polo player founded the Women’s Championship Tournament (WCT) that opened the door and broke down barriers for other girls and women to pursue their passion. She helped revive the U.S. Women’s Open in 2011.

SC

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

(African Americans sans 'americans' will be getting one too, probably by week's end.) 

"African American"  - a euphemism increasingly applied to people who are neither African nor American.

If you mean black people, say so. 

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Toast said:

"African American"  - a euphemism increasingly applied to people who are neither African nor American.

Nothing quite like saying it like it is!

• Like 2

Nothing to do with death (well, except preventing it) but here is today's example of feminism gone mad from the news. "Melbourne's first female traffic lights".  You couldn't make this shit up:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 17:44, Weebl said:
On 02/03/2017 at 18:02, Toast said:

Nothing quite like saying it like it is!

Absolutely.  Let's call a spade a spade.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Tut tut, Toastie!!!

Thats a bad wrapped in genius. :)

• Like 1

Anyway, this title Female 'Firsts' sounds too much like something you would see written on a box of Tampons to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toast said:

I want you to know that I love you enough to inform you that if you said that in Texas you would get shot.

• Like 2

Genuinely misread Toast's post as a joke about forum socks there, and was thinking to myself "didn't see that one coming"! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarolAnn said:
17 hours ago, Toast said:

I want you to know that I love you enough to inform you that if you said that in Texas you would get shot.

What do they call it in Texas then?  A manual soil-moving implement?

• Like 2

In Scotland, we tend to call a spade a shovel. I've retold that joke so badly it could fit in the Joke thread recently.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toast said:

What do they call it in Texas then?  A manual soil-moving implement?

"Spade" is another reference to the n-word, as in a black spade in a card deck.

10 hours ago, CarolAnn said:

"Spade" is another reference to the n-word, as in a black spade in a card deck.

:whoosh:

• Like 2

A couple of our female engineers pondered what would happen if they didnt turn up for work today, what with it being womens day and what would happen if every woman had a day off.

The answer in their case would have been absolutely fuck all as they are both shit engineers who can barely get through a day without calling for help.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Toast said:

:whoosh:

All I can plead is no sleep, and I admit I don't get it. However, I'm headed for bed now in an attempt to make up some of my sleep deficit, so I'll revisit it all tomorrow and see if I can drag my head out of my ass.

That is a great emoji, though.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:09, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Nothing to do with death (well, except preventing it) but here is today's example of feminism gone mad from the news. "Melbourne's first female traffic lights".  You couldn't make this shit up:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

Wellington, NZ has had a less shit alternative to this Melburnian plan. In Wellington, the standard "Green Man" silhouette is being slowly replaced with famous Kiwis - such as Kate Sheppard or Carmen, with the particular Kiwi being used in  culturally relevant places (e.g. Kate Sheppard near Parliament, Carmen on Cuba Street). It's been quite popular.

The first black woman and the first Halibut (Mus-lim) to serve on New York State’s highest court was found dead Wednesday afternoon.

NYPD Harbor Unit officers pulled the body of Sheila Abdus-Salaam, 65, of West 131st Street in Harlem, out of the Hudson River near 135th street at about 1:45 p.m.
An associate justice on the state’s Court of Appeals, Abdus-Salaam was pronounced dead by emergency service personnel after she was found unresponsive and unconscious.

It was unclear Wednesday how she died, and a medical examiner was performing an autopsy to determine the cause of her death.  A law enforcement source who didn’t want to be identified said police are initially considering the judge’s death as a possible suicide.

SC

(Edit -- that's hilarious -- your webpage auto-corrected 'Halibut' into 'Halibut'.  I can't make that shit up. -- SC)

(Edit #2... OK WTF.... no matter, if some racist ding-dong admin has made the page turn the word M-u-s l-i-m into 'Halibut', more power to ya.  SMH)  

Were you doing a Google search for "recent drowning victims" or something? Hah.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Were you doing a Google search for "recent drowning victims" or something? Hah.

It made the papers.

Erin Moran, the first woman to play a character named Joanie Cunningham in a 70s television show created by a man named Garry Marshall, has died aged 56.

I love this thread.

• Like 1

Former Alaska Attorney General Grace Berg Schaible died Friday night at age 91 in her Fairbanks home.

Schaible served as attorney general from 1987 to 1989, the first woman to serve in that post.
SC

• Like 1