Gooseberry Crumble

Clarissa Eden

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:02, maryportfuncity said:

Eden-wedding001.jpg

Nice photo and..

Her Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarissa_Eden

Fuck sake!

Just suggested extending the Mary Wilson thread for old Clarissa then it struck me I should check - I've even posted on this one!

• Like 2

Gave interview to The Oldie in March, paywall busted here.  Not much new, but since one of us thinks she died off radar...

• Like 1

Really hope the committee includes the oldest living spouse of a British Prime minister in its 2020 list and does not repeat what happened with Mary Wilson by overlooking her .

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Really hope the committee includes the oldest living spouse of a British Prime minister in its 2020 list and does not repeat what happened with Mary Wilson by overlooking her .

She is in my top 50.

• Like 1

Looks pretty lively though I have to say.

29 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Indeed but so did Mary Wilson until a matter of months before she died.....

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed but so did Mary Wilson until a matter of months before she died.....

Yeah, doubtless the DL Cup scouts are hiding in the care home bushes - could score the winning goal this year

Old enough to be limited DDP points and (maybe) well enough to see the Deathrace results.

• Like 2

I am known at parties to be a bore for my predictable anecdote that  Clarissa Eden widow of Anthony Eden still draws breath.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am known at parties to be a bore for my predictable anecdote that  Clarissa Eden widow of Anthony Eden still draws breath.

Very much the Carrie Symonds of her day. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Very much the Carrie Symonds of her day. 

So the past wasn't always better, then

1 hour ago, Sean said:

So - New Year's resolution = I must learn to set light to my farts!

That'll surprise them!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah I would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clarissa Eden reaches the grand old age of 100 today!Hopefully she is in a position to enjoy celebrations of some kind.

Many Happy returns!

:birthday:

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Clarissa Eden reaches the grand old age of 100 today!Hopefully she is in a position to enjoy celebrations of some kind.

Many Happy returns!

:birthday:

In that very article you quote it points out she is frail now but having a small party with her niece and looking forward to cake.

• Like 1

Apropos of the age discussion, is there anybody old enough to clearly remember Anthony Eden's tenure as Prime Minister and are you famous and what's your real name? 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, msc said:

In that very article you quote it points out she is frail now but having a small party with her niece and looking forward to cake.

Thanks! You've better eyesight than me I didnt zoom into that as the writing seemed so tiny!I am also not keen on reading the former Desmond rag The  Daily Express !:D

On 29/12/2019 at 18:57, Sean said:

Party bores also tell people that John Tyler (born 1790) & the 10th US President still has 2 grandchildren alive 230 years after his birth. Cricket followers who nearly all love statistics regularly mention that John Woodcock (94 in August 2020), the cricket writer & former Times cricket correspondent had a grandfather who was born before the Battle of Waterloo. The other old chestnut is that up to 7 years ago there were still 2 children of US Civil War veterans drawing a pension due to their fathers' service. It is believed that both have now died.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

Party bores also tell people that John Tyler (born 1790) & the 10th US President still has 2 grandchildren alive 230 years after his birth. Cricket followers who nearly all love statistics regularly mention that John Woodcock (94 in August 2020), the cricket writer & former Times cricket correspondent had a grandfather who was born before the Battle of Waterloo. The other old chestnut is that up to 7 years ago there were still 2 children of US Civil War veterans drawing a pension due to their fathers' service. It is believed that both have now died.

The last one, Irene Triplett, died earlier this year. Was covered here iirc. 

Please let me know when Clarissa Eden dies...

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Please let me know when Clarissa Eden dies...

Her 100th birthday is worthy of a thread bump. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

The last one, Irene Triplett, died earlier this year. Was covered here iirc. 

There are rumours that there is at least one anonymous child still alive which is why I was deliberately vague. It seems quite likely as the last widow of a US Civil War veteran died as recently as 2008 (?) - certainly more than one widow has died this century.

Clarissa Eden is the current oldest living spouse of a British Prime Minister. she was born on 28th of June 1920.

She is a niece of Sir Winston Churchill being a daughter of his only brother, Major Jack Spencer-Churchill and is related to several branches of the British aristocracy.

Becoming Anthony Eden's second wife in 1952, she became a Countess after Eden was ennobled following his short lived Premiership.

She will reach the age of 101 this year but will still have some way to go to overtake Mary Wilson as the oldest Prime Ministerial spouse ever.

However, if Boris Johnson ties the knot with his partner Carrie Symonds who at 32 is 24 years his junior, there might eventually be another contender. 

• Like 1

Edited by Paul Bearer
Threads merged