Gooseberry Crumble

Clarissa Eden

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Clarissa Edead 

Clarissa Egone

On 29/12/2019 at 18:57, Sean said:

I am known at parties to be a bore for my predictable anecdote that  Clarissa Eden widow of Anthony Eden still draws breath.

Damn!Need a new anecdote..

John Tylers grandson Harrison Ruffin Tyler seems the obvious replacement for the how the hell are they still alive person of note.

Ben Ferencz being a prosecutor at Nuremberg and still drawing breath seems incredible.Then there is Ray Anthony the last member of Glenn Millers orchestra.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sean said:

John Tylers grandson Harrison Ruffin Tyler seems the obvious replacement for the how the hell are they still alive person of note.

Ben Ferencz being a prosecutor at Nuremberg and still drawing breath seems incredible.Then there is Ray Anthony the last member of Glenn Millers orchestra.

I'm sure you can come up with a dozen famous living artists who draw breath.

Striking how little coverage Eden and Wilson before her have had.In the States a first lady dying is newsflash territory.I know the role is different and we have a constitutional monarchy but striking difference in level of coverage .

• Like 7

Another hit matches my record of six. So gives me hope for more as  I always have a good December for hits.

R.I.P. Lady Eden.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Clarissa Edead 

Couldn’t sleep last night thinking I missed a wonderful opportunity to pu « Clarissa Deaden » instead of this awful one 

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Striking how little coverage Eden and Wilson before her have had.In the states a first lady dying is newsflash territory.I know the role is different and we have a constitutional monarchy but striking difference in level of coverage .

Denis Thatcher's death received some coverage from what I can recall. Perhaps to do with the passage of time maybe. It was only 13 years since he had been the spouse of the PM where as with Mary Wilson it had been 40 years and Clarissa Eden over 60 years

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Striking how little coverage Eden and Wilson before her have had.In the states a first lady dying is newsflash territory.I know the role is different and we have a constitutional monarchy but striking difference in level of coverage .

Agreed.

So far I can see The Telegraph, The Times and The Sun.

The Guardian will no doubt have an obit on the way, yet no BBC coverage. 10 years ago this would've been a quick fire obit from Auntie. It's amazing how much that organisation lags behind the rest of the broader UK media nowadays.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

The Prime Minister's spouse has no official role as far as I'm aware.  They are of no importance unless they are personally notable for some other reason.

16 minutes ago, Toast said:

The Prime Minister's spouse has no official role as far as I'm aware.  They are of no importance unless they are personally notable for some other reason.

Unless it's Carrie Johnson, who effectively runs the country and dictates policy.

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed.

So far I can see The Telegraph, The Times and The Sun.

The Guardian will no doubt have an obit on the way, yet no BBC coverage. 10 years ago this would've been a quick fire obit from Auntie. It's amazing how much that organisation lags behind the rest of the broader UK media nowadays.

Weirdly the New York Times got an obit out for Eden before the BBC did. :scratchhead:

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

20 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Weirdly the New York Times got an obit out for Eden before the BBC did. :scratchhead:

There still hasn’t been a BBC Obit. Won’t be one now. Doesn’t even make the roundup of the papers.

On 16/11/2021 at 01:31, Sean said:

And there's also Jerry Lee Lewis. Last living member of the Million Dollar Quartet and the Class of 55' album for 18 years, last living one of the inaugural Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees and arguably the last living Rock and Roll legend. Still living at 86 despite his history of drug and alcohol use and his 2019 stroke. 

And Simeon II, last "leader" of a country during WWII and before 1950. Also the last person to have held the title Tsar. 

• Like 2