Gooseberry Crumble

Shirley Bassey

15 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Holy shit, I got scared for a second when I saw activity on a Shirley Bassey thread.  Had no idea who she was until I watched the 2013 Oscars.  At first I was like, wow, this lady has amazing presence and a great voice, especially for someone older.  Then I saw exactly how old she was at the time, and to still be able to sing like that?  Mariah Carey's voice basically left her at 35, and this woman is still belting it out in her 70's?  I was blown away.  Since then I've certainly familiarized myself with who she is.  What a legendary performer.

Don't you fucking dare fuck with Shirley Bassey, 2020!  

Shirley Bassey is one of the living singer that I love the most and that I would be devastated to learn the death of (amongst Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Cher or Dolly Parton) as I was When Amy, Whitney, Donna Summer and Charles Aznavour did die (i cried in the subway when I learned Aznavour’s death)...

• Like 1

Future front page DLer for sure. It sounds more like a "at my age you never know" rather than a Bowie tbh.

• Like 2

On 04/03/2022 at 21:30, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/17848604/dame-shirley-bassey-bond-baftas/

Shirley Bassey set to perform at the BAFTAS  as part of the celebrations of their 60th anniversary. 

Just to say: absolutely knocked it out the park at the BAFTAs. 85 and still a force of nature.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Just to say: absolutely knocked it out the park at the BAFTAs. 85 and still a force of nature.

I didn't  watch but wonderful to hear Dame Shirley is in fine form!

• Like 1

Did anyone notice if Shirley Bassey took part in any of the platinum jubilee events? I know she didn't  sing at the concert  but was she part of the pageant like Joan Collins was?

Royal jubilees are very  much Shirleys thing.  It might possibly be noteworthy, especially for deadpoolers,  if she didn't take part in anyway  or was asked and unusually declined?

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Did anyone notice if Shirley Bassey took part in any of the platinum jubilee events? I know she didn't  sing at the concert  but was she part of the pageant like Joan Collins was?

Royal jubilees are very  much Shirleys thing.  It might possibly be noteworthy, especially for deadpoolers,  if she didn't take part in anyway  or was asked and unusually declined?

She was said to be coming but I am pretty sure she didn’t in the end. 

• Thanks 1

Shirley should’ve been at the concert, considering there were no Welsh, Scottish (unless you count Rod) or Northern Irish performers on the bill. Really weird. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Shirley should’ve been at the concert, considering there were no Welsh, Scottish (unless you count Rod) or Northern Irish performers on the bill. Really weird. 

Was Katherine Jenkins not involved on Saturday  ?

21 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

No, nobody counts Rod. Charles was on the stage and his granny was Scottish, and nobody thinks Charles is Scottish.

• Haha 2

And in fact, I'd go as far to say that of all the Jubilees I've seen (and I was around for the Silver Jubilee), this was the most English centred celebration I've seen. Who was booking the acts? Boris Johnson?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Was Katherine Jenkins not involved on Saturday  ?

She performed in Sandringham on Friday as part of something, but not on Saturday. 

• Like 1

There was another concert at Cardiff Castle with Welsh performers. 

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I do think she was there as part of the 100 at the end who sang the national anthem.

She definitely didn’t go on the bus and the TV cameras never gave you an actual shot of all the celebrities there, but at the end there was those who travelled on the decade buses as well as those who just went on stage for the anthem. David Jason was there and visible in TV shots and never was on the bus and I think that’s the same for Shirley and Tom Jones as both have been mentioned in print. 

12 hours ago, Thatcher said:

I could be wrong but I do think she was there as part of the 100 at the end who sang the national anthem.

She definitely didn’t go on the bus and the TV cameras never gave you an actual shot of all the celebrities there, but at the end there was those who travelled on the decade buses as well as those who just went on stage for the anthem. David Jason was there and visible in TV shots and never was on the bus and I think that’s the same for Shirley and Tom Jones as both have been mentioned in print. 

I will try and do some research!

On 07/06/2022 at 14:20, Thatcher said:

This is a bit off-topic but did you spot Sandie Shaw? She was announced as being there in advance but I didn't see her. She retired in 2013 and hasn't made a public appearance since she got her MBE in 2018. I'm a bit of a fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

This is a bit off-topic but did you spot Sandie Shaw? She was announced as being there in advance but I didn't see her. She retired in 2013 and hasn't made a public appearance since she got her MBE in 2018. I'm a bit of a fan.

As if Sandie would have the bare-footed affrontery to show up....

4 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Again, difficult to spot in footage but she was billed as part of the ‘national choir’ that were singing the anthem at the end so same situation as with Shirley.

There is video footage here from Jessica Ennis-Hill who was on stage but it’s not a good angle and doesn’t show everyone who was there. I understand why the TV cameras were focussed solely on the balcony but it is slightly annoying they didn’t pan once to the cohort of celebs gathered, particularly when so much was trailed in the press about them. 

If it helps any, here’s a picture of Sandie from May this year at Ivor Novello awards. 

Ah thank goodness. When I saw the last post was in the Shirley Bassey thread by Thatcher, my heart sank momentarily!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

difficult to spot in footage

I see what you did there.

Now that I think about it I don't think Shirley attended her good friend Joan Collins 20th wedding anniversary party in London a few months ago? Stephanie Beacham, Simon Cowell and other celebrities were there but Shirley  who is normally a stalwart  of Joan Collins parties I don't think was.

Just thought it was worth highlighting. 

16 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Now that I think about it I don't think Shirley attended her good friend Joan Collins 20th wedding anniversary party in London a few months ago? Stephanie Beacham, Simon Cowell and other celebrities were there but Shirley  who is normally a stalwart  of Joan Collins parties I don't think was.

Just thought it was worth highlighting. 

She did sing at the BAFTA’s  the other month which was a harder gig than attending a party. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She did sing at the BAFTA’s  the other month which was a harder gig than attending a party. 

Yeah nothing to worry about here - Basseys are Forever